for people who think exercise is the key to weight loss

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Yes, I know there have been a lot of threads about this lately... I know few people actually read them or take the advice we offer seriously, but whatever. I thought this was interesting.

I consider myself fairly active. As a triathlete, my workouts are mostly cardio, but I do some lifting as well. This time of year I'm still dealing with poor weather, so most of my workouts are also indoors.

Last week I did 5 workouts for a total of 4 hours and 45 minutes. Assuming I burn 10 cals per minute (which is possible but on the very high side of realistic), that means I burned roughly 2850 cals through exercise last week.

That's .8lb burned from exercise. As in eight tenths of one pound.

So yea... diet is a far bigger factor in weight control than is exercise. Exercise certainly can help, but diet will have a much greater impact on weight loss.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. For me, my workouts burn enough to eat an extra banana or two. If I subbed those out for one dish of takeout, I'd be gaining weight.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Yes, I know there have been a lot of threads about this lately... I know few people actually read them or take the advice we offer seriously, but whatever. I thought this was interesting.

I consider myself fairly active. As a triathlete, my workouts are mostly cardio, but I do some lifting as well. This time of year I'm still dealing with poor weather, so most of my workouts are also indoors.

Last week I did 5 workouts for a total of 4 hours and 45 minutes. Assuming I burn 10 cals per minute (which is possible but on the very high side of realistic), that means I burned roughly 2850 cals through exercise last week.

So yea... diet is a far bigger factor in weight control than is exercise. Exercise certainly can help, but diet will have a much greater impact on weight loss.

While I agree with your point that diet is the most important, those 2850 calories would make a larger difference for me, who is on 1220 calories plus exercise, than it probably does for you. Exercising enough to burn an extra 400 calories per day (which according to my Fitbit is not out of the ordinary for me) lets me increase how much I can eat by over 32%. Without those extra calories, I feel like my chance of failure would have been a lot higher.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

While I agree with your point that diet is the most important, those 2850 calories would make a larger difference for me, who is on 1220 calories plus exercise, than it probably does for you. Exercising enough to burn an extra 400 calories per day (which according to my Fitbit is not out of the ordinary for me) lets me increase how much I can eat by over 32%. Without those extra calories, I feel like my chance of failure would have been a lot higher.

@missblondi2u - I think he's talking about people who are using exercise alone to create their deficit. Example would be setting your MFP account to maintain and not eating exercise calories. The exercise burn wouldn't make much of a deficit.
  • HisRedAngel
    HisRedAngel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I always tell my followers that it's 80% diet 20% Exercise.
    You have to eat clean. If you eat clean you see major result in a short amount of time this way.
    You can't eat bad and expect to see gains. I always provide my followers with a helpful guide to eating based on their goals and desires.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Sure...but we all need to be exercising for heart, bone and brain health. Being sedentary is not OK, weight-loss issues aside.

You also need to recognize that you are basing this on your own body's math. I am older and have an artificially low BMI due to serious metabolic disease. I have to exercise if I want to have enough of a calorie allowance to eat a healthy diet. I have to work pretty hard to even be able to consume 1200 calories/day.

Not everybody is young/healthy/male. :)
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good post. I do both cardio & strength training.

Cardio is for my heart & lungs & I find increases my overall energy level.

Strength is for my muscles & to be able to do the things I enjoy doing with-out constantly injuring myself.

Calorie control is to keep my weight in the healthy range.

So simple even I understand it... :)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You have to eat clean. If you eat clean you see major result in a short amount of time this way.
    You can't eat bad and expect to see gains. I always provide my followers with a helpful guide to eating based on their goals and desires.

No you don't. I eat pizza and drink beer regularly and I'm losing weight at a steady progress.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@missblondi2u - I think he's talking about people who are using exercise alone to create their deficit. Example would be setting your MFP account to maintain and not eating exercise calories. The exercise burn wouldn't make much of a deficit.

@shadow2soul I get what you are saying but I don't necessarily agree with that comment about setting to maintenance and not eating back exercise calories not being enough. I'm in maintenance now and I burn a pound a week (and that's on a light schedule) and eat back that pound not to lose weight. If I didn't eat it back, I would lose. For some people though, that might be an unrealistic expectation especially if they are focused on short term weight loss goals.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Pretty much none of this.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Though I am not fit enough to efficiently burn enough calories to lose a pound a week through exercise alone, I find that adding to the calories I can eat while still maintaining a deficit makes me a happier person. I find it SO much easier to live at 1600 than 1300.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I find its 50/50 for me.
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »

I agree with this. Though I am not fit enough to efficiently burn enough calories to lose a pound a week through exercise alone, I find that adding to the calories I can eat while still maintaining a deficit makes me a happier person. I find it SO much easier to live at 1600 than 1300.

Exactly. I acknowledge if I was trying to lose 50 pounds, with only exercise it would be very, very difficult. But, if I can exercise and gain a small snack, while counting calories, it is much easier to stick to, and I'm happier. I don't feel deprived.

• jacksonpt
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Most of you are missing the point. Pretty much as I expected.

Whatever calories you burn via exercise are what you burn. Period. There are no special snowflakes here. If you burn 500 calories in a workout, and I burn 500 calories in a workout... guess what... it's the same damned 500 calories. And it's still the same 1/7th(ish) of a lb. Your BMR doesn't matter. Your calorie intake doesn't matter. None of it does.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Whatever calories you burn via exercise are what you burn. Period. There are no special snowflakes here. If you burn 500 calories in a workout, and I burn 500 calories in a workout... guess what... it's the same damned 500 calories. And it's still the same 1/7th(ish) of a lb. Your BMR doesn't matter. Your calorie intake doesn't matter. None of it does.

I don't see your point. You do seem upset about that though. What's wrong with burning 1/7th ish of a pound via exercise?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    [quote="jacksonpt;35705651"]Most of you are missing the point. Pretty much as I expected.

Whatever calories you burn via exercise are what you burn. Period. There are no special snowflakes here. If you burn 500 calories in a workout, and I burn 500 calories in a workout... guess what... it's the same damned 500 calories. And it's still the same 1/7th(ish) of a lb. Your BMR doesn't matter. Your calorie intake doesn't matter. None of it does.[/quote]

Well, that's condescending. What IS your point then? Because this post doesn't make much sense to me. I read your first post because you generally have informative things to add to the forum.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I don't see your point. You do seem upset about that though. What's wrong with burning 1/7th ish of a pound via exercise?

Nothing is wrong with it, it's just not a significant source of weight loss. Many people think that all they need to do to lose weight is exercise, and that's just not realistic for the majority of people, especially for people who are in a pattern of gaining weight. Most people have to do SOME sort of calorie restriction/dietary control in order to lose meaningful weight.
  • theconnertys
    theconnertys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This isn't one size fits all though.

Your daily burn, as well as what you burn while working out, are very personal numbers. The OP burned 2850 cal in 4:45 of gym time. By comparison, for the month of March (almost 7 days), I have burned 4200 cal (I workout with a HRM) in approx 5 hours of gym time. That is not insignificant.

I'm not saying that exercise trumps CICO....not at all. How much you eat makes the biggest impact on the scale. But exercise can impact weight as well. My exercise calorie burn for the past week is not unusual for me at all, and it represents over a pound a week.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Since apparently my initial point is not coming through, let me bold it...

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Right. 500 cals is 500 cals. Two people each with a 500 cal deficit ought to lose the same amount of weight. It doesn't matter how you get there.

But take the case of a 140 lb relatively fit woman who wants to lose 10 lbs. She could not exercise and need to eat 1200 calories a day. Or she could (cause she's fit), run 3 miles a day and eat 1500 cals a day. That's a big (25%) difference in satisfaction and a lot easier to maintain for some people (if you can run 3 miles a day).

On the other hand, a 200 lb sedentary woman could lose weight on 1500 a day without exercising. She can't run 3 miles a day cause she's not fit enough. So she walks a mile and burns 100 calories. The increase in calories for her is going to be negligible.

So exercise calories are likely going to form a bigger portion of your deficit the closer to goal and the fitter you are, and IMO the lower your BMR is. I think it's just hard to eat 1200 calories a day consistently no matter your size, but that's what some women need to lose weight.

[What neither one can do is eat 2500 calories and lose weight, even if they are running 3 miles a day. I think that's your point. My argument is just that particularly for small women close to their goal, exercise calories can make up a larger percentage of deficit than for larger men or less fit people]
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    No you don't. I have lots and lots of clients who didn't eat "clean" and lost lots of weight. This is why many people fail at dieting. When restriction of choices comes up for everyday eating, people would rather throw in the towel than be chained to eating foods they may dislike as a whole.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png