for people who think exercise is the key to weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I get the "math" of it. Exercise doesn't burn off near as many calories as we like to tell ourselves we can eat back.

I watch "The Biggest Loser" for the entertainment value. It is a big mistake, however, to try to take any meaningful advice from that show. Emphasize SHOW. It is a production that is edited to make it seem like weight falls off in massive quantities by working out so hard you puke. In 8 weeks real time (they condense 16 weeks of production time) people lose over half of their hugely obese body weight and all I have to do is sit on the couch and eat chips.

But we waaaant it to be that easy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I disagree, OP.

If I burn 400 calories with a workout, that gives me 2200 calories to eat instead of 1800. That's close to 1/4 extra calories that I can eat that day. That's huge. I've lost 80 pounds (ok, 75 as of now)... without all those extra calories from exercise, I'd probably still be 10 pounds overweight... at least.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I ate "clean" for years and still gained weight. It's absolutely true that its a calorie deficit that has you lose weight, a whole sweet potato has more calories than half, its true.

Its also true that exercise burns calories. If your diet is totally out of control you MAY see great results by putting yourself in a more healthful diet, but that's usually because when you do that you automatically are consuming less calories.

If your diet is totally out of control, and you don't change it, you may not be exercising enough to put yourself in a calorie deficit.

You have to have a calorie deficit.

You can combine the two and splurge a little on food (because going cold turkey from junk food to "clean" food can be hard), and add some moderate exercise (without going all P90X) and have what here on MFP is generally called a sustainable lifestyle and be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75lbs by doing what most people would call limited exercise. I walked. My first walk was 7 minutes long (3.5 each way). Since then, I've built up endurance and speed. I added in bike riding and yoga for variety. I do not like getting sweaty (but I do anyway) so hours of cardio and weight lifting each week are not sustainable for me.

Exercise is great for health, its good for your body and mind, it also helps with toning muscles. It is not necessary for losing weight. Losing weight is 80% food, 20% exercise...I would even make that 90%/10% for me personally.

Good diet and good exercise combined are hard to beat...for your health. The weight will come off with the good habits.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Since apparently my initial point is not coming through, let me bold it...
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Yes, I know there have been a lot of threads about this lately... I know few people actually read them or take the advice we offer seriously, but whatever. I thought this was interesting.

I consider myself fairly active. As a triathlete, my workouts are mostly cardio, but I do some lifting as well. This time of year I'm still dealing with poor weather, so most of my workouts are also indoors.

Last week I did 5 workouts for a total of 4 hours and 45 minutes. Assuming I burn 10 cals per minute (which is possible but on the very high side of realistic), that means I burned roughly 2850 cals through exercise last week.

That's .8lb burned from exercise. As in eight tenths of one pound.

So yea... diet is a far bigger factor in weight control than is exercise. Exercise certainly can help, but diet will have a much greater impact on weight loss.

You put your point at the end of the post? That's a rookie mistake. No one reads past the first couple of paragraphs.

(Fwiw I liked your post and enjoyed they way you laid it all out. Hopefully it will reach the people you were trying to reach)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I always tell my followers that it's 80% diet 20% Exercise.
    You have to eat clean. If you eat clean you see major result in a short amount of time this way.
    You can't eat bad and expect to see gains. I always provide my followers with a helpful guide to eating based on their goals and desires.

You are lying to your followers?
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You have to eat clean. If you eat clean you see major result in a short amount of time this way.
    You can't eat bad and expect to see gains. I always provide my followers with a helpful guide to eating based on their goals and desires.
    No you don't. I have lots and lots of clients who didn't eat "clean" and lost lots of weight. This is why many people fail at dieting. When restriction of choices comes up for everyday eating, people would rather throw in the towel than be chained to eating foods they may dislike as a whole.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

For all the clients you have out there who didn't eat 'clean' and lost weight....well, good for them. Unfortunately, you trainers come here and act like your way is the ONLY way. You tend to confuse people who are just starting out. I cannot eat 1500 calories of junk food and lose weight. I can eat 1500 calories of fruits, veggies, proteins and some carbs and lose weight. Please do not shove all people into a small box, we don't all fit. It has nothing to do with anyone being a 'special snowflake' and everything to do with how people tolerate, process, breakdown foods and use the nutrients in their system. While the basics are true for everyone, some people cannot tolerate certain foods, other people have damaged livers (from being overweight) and are not processing nutrients efficiently, some people have so much sugar in their system they are running off that instead of fat. Why don't you encourage people to have healthy sustainable habits instead of leading them to believe that exercise is the only way to go? It seems crass since exercise is your business. SMH.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    No you don't. I have lots and lots of clients who didn't eat "clean" and lost lots of weight. This is why many people fail at dieting. When restriction of choices comes up for everyday eating, people would rather throw in the towel than be chained to eating foods they may dislike as a whole.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

For all the clients you have out there who didn't eat 'clean' and lost weight....well, good for them. Unfortunately, you trainers come here and act like your way is the ONLY way. You tend to confuse people who are just starting out. I cannot eat 1500 calories of junk food and lose weight. I can eat 1500 calories of fruits, veggies, proteins and some carbs and lose weight.

Yes, you can.

• USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Mavrick, do what I do: use your Biggest Loser watching time to draft your healthy eating plan for the week or prep ingredients. The contestants won't mind if you walk away from the TV for a few minutes. ;)

But, seriously, if my TV is on, it's because I'm watching a rare movie with my bf OR because it's background noise for what I'm REALLY doing. But I prefer music. I get more done. :)

P.S. not to Mavrick but the thread in general: I lost 80 lbs. without working out even remotely regularly. I might ride my bike once or twice a week but most weeks nothing. Just calorie counting. But if you want a strong, lithe, good looking body and not just to "not be fat" anymore, exercise is where it's at!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

For all the clients you have out there who didn't eat 'clean' and lost weight....well, good for them. Unfortunately, you trainers come here and act like your way is the ONLY way. You tend to confuse people who are just starting out. I cannot eat 1500 calories of junk food and lose weight. I can eat 1500 calories of fruits, veggies, proteins and some carbs and lose weight. Please do not shove all people into a small box, we don't all fit. It has nothing to do with anyone being a 'special snowflake' and everything to do with how people tolerate, process, breakdown foods and use the nutrients in their system. While the basics are true for everyone, some people cannot tolerate certain foods, other people have damaged livers (from being overweight) and are not processing nutrients efficiently, some people have so much sugar in their system they are running off that instead of fat. Why don't you encourage people to have healthy sustainable habits instead of leading them to believe that exercise is the only way to go? It seems crass since exercise is your business. SMH.

Actually he is one of the few trainers on her that I see consistently not peddling woo about "clean eating" or some other kind of eating/exercise plan that restricts people unnecessarily. You will most likely feel much better eating better foods and probably be better able to stay within your calorie goals, but you can lose weight eating anything as long as your calories are under goal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I got it OP.

If I had to exercise to lose weight I would still be fat...been there done that.

80% intake 20% exercise.

If you overeat for your activity level you will gain regardless of activity level.

Now exercise is a good thing and the key is to find something you love...or find least objectionable...

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

For all the clients you have out there who didn't eat 'clean' and lost weight....well, good for them. Unfortunately, you trainers come here and act like your way is the ONLY way. You tend to confuse people who are just starting out. I cannot eat 1500 calories of junk food and lose weight. I can eat 1500 calories of fruits, veggies, proteins and some carbs and lose weight.

Yes, you can.

Yup you can...
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just because someone mentions that they don't eat clean doesn't mean that they advocate eating all junk. When I have seen trainers recommend what ninerbuff is talking about they usually tell their clients they can set aside a certain amount of calories for things like chocolate or cake. It's about setting up something sustainable and getting rid of an all or nothing mentality that tends to cause people to fail.

Nobody is advocating a diet of only 'junk'. You obviously had a bad experience with a trainer and are taking it out on all of them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    .8 lbs per week seems like a pretty huge deal to me. For those of us that gained weight slowly exercise can make ALL the difference. I gained 30 lbs over 10 years, that's 3 lbs per year on average so even burning only .1 lbs per week while eating more than before would lead to fat loss.