Wives of the meat & potato lover! Help!

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    For exercise: I don't know about before dinner. It helps me to wake up first thing in the morning by pounding 2-3 pints of water (and I need the hydration) and to do as many push-ups as I can in a row. Make it a competition. I feel like a beast now that I can do over 50 in a row. Maybe he'd respond to that.

Here are my healthies:

-Chicken or tilapia, sprayed with olive oil, heavily seasoned (salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, paprika, whatever you like), baked for 20 minutes at 350. Comes out perfectly, is lean protein and healthy fats from olive oil.

-Broccoli, tossed in olive oil and most of the spices from above (although I'll sometimes just do chili powder and cumin and garlic and it rocks)

-Brussels sprouts, whole, halved, or chopped, roast 'em at 400 for 20-30 with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice (add a bit of bacon if that helps him to eat it)

-Sweet potatoes or yams, cut into fry shapes, sprayed with olive oil, tossed with cajun powder, salt and cayenne, roasted at 400-425 for 20-30 minutes until they're like fries (we make "fry sauce" [mayo and ketchup] and don't feel too bad about it)

I will think of more and get back, hopefully.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hubby solemnly asked me to stop making curries. Not his thing. He still gets a teaspoon in his favourite stew.

This made me smile. My mom told me this year that my dad told her that he doesn't really like roast beef. "I've been making roast beef once a week for 42 years and now he tells me!" Ha!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i make my boyfriend the same delicious foods he likes every night, but i add about three of four dishes of low calorie vegetables and a huge salad. He eats what i put at the table, I use healthy wholesome ingredients and limit things like heavy cream or cheese sauces . He might not want to do pushups before dinner, but maybe a walk after dinner might work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat really healthy and I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy...I just added more veg to my diet basically and started eating appropriate servings. I eat more chicken and fish too than I used to, but we still eat pork chops and steaks and I love grilling burgers out on my patio when the weather is nice.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with meat and potatoes? just portion it and eat some veggies. I love a good baked potato (your preference), a pork burger patti with some onions on an open face sandwich with some broccoli or brussel sprouts to go with it. yum.

My bf loves it.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Can't force them to do anything!

What you can do is make foods that include the "healthy" items you want. Grilling chicken? Throw some asparagus on the grill too. Baked salmon? Saute broccolini with garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil. Brussles sprouts are fantastic roasted.

Essentially you just have to open their eyes to see whats out there. I did it with my Idaho boy, you can too!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    No ideas here because i'm a "meat and potatoes" wife. But I wonder, what is wrong with meat and potatoes?
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started on my own, just doing what I needed to do for myself and recently my husband got interested and jumped on board too. We don't exercise together, besides for the occasional walk and hikes once it gets warmer (or rather less muddy and wet). He still gets his meat and potatoes and so do I!

For example one of our staple meals is pork chops and roasted potatoes. So one day I subbed out half the roasted potatoes for sweet potatoes, turns out it was good! Then I subbed out another third for carrots, so now it's only 1/3 of the potatoes of before with more other roasted vegetables. (I tried squash, that did not go well. Experiment and learn!)

My husband likes spicy foods so chili, stir fry with spicy curry sauce, home made pizza, butter chicken, etc. We haven't given up any of the foods we love, just supplemented with other things, realized what true portions were and made small switches. I tend to eat lighter breakfast and lunch so I can eat more at dinner and snacking, plus I normally have salad with mine as well.

I like doing the cooking and he gets to spend time with our daughter (and I get a break from her!), plus he does a lot of the clean up. So it works out well for me! As I serve up dinner I take both our tablets and weigh everything out and input it into both, make a food entry in his based on the recipe in mine. It saves time for both of us that way. He still does all his other logging, or if he goes back for more.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I guess if the meat and potatoes fit his calorie goal for the day he will still lose weight.
    I love meat and potatoes but I like eating big and because I'm small it means I can't eat as much as DH so veggies fill up my plate and belly but love a roast potato. Yum
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Normally I would have read through all the comments before posting, but I am a bit drunk at the moment and cannot be bothered with all that. So I apologize if this has already been suggested. My husband detests vegetables. He won't eat anything that is considered a vegetable except potatoes. The only way I have found to be able to get him to eat them is to literally puree the hell out of them and inject them into sauces that he pours over his pasta, potatoes or rice. If I don't tell him that vegetables are hidden in his sauces he has absolutely no idea. He is 6'2 and weighs anywhere from 145-150 pounds, this is lucky because I can add things like cheese to cover up the dreaded vegetable taste. I wouldn't normally do this, but I seriously worry about vitamin deficiency with him.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    What hearty recipes does a picky guy like most? How do I convince him to do a few pushups/situps with me before dinner? Any tips on helping the man be healthier without being condescending would rock!
    lead by example.
    you can inspire more people by doing then nagging them and forcing them to do it.
    do you. if he wants to get down on the floor with you, he will.

Yeah, this. I'm not digging a lot of these stories about tricking your husband like a kid, and they don't sound very sustainable for any real change. Real motivation is intrinsic; people have to give a damn about fitness or it's not gonna take.

That said: if you wanna be a Sith Lord and play dirty, then bust out some substantial dumbbells (not pink 2-pounders) and lift while he's sitting on his *kitten* watching TV. Shame can be a great negative motivator, and he'll feel like a wuss.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    We have a rule at our house..if we didn't have to cook it...eat it with a smile and say Thanks honey that was great.

implement that rule.
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Grill lots of chicken. Problem solved :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The only way my husband will eat 99.9% of veggies is if I blend them into a pulp and then add them to meals. If he cant see chunks of them, then he's a happy camper. He knows I do this....I'm not "sneaking" them in on him. For him its just out of sight/out of mind. He also has some textural issues with a few cooked veggies, and pureeing them eliminates the texture issues.

This works great for things like soups, stews, sauces and things that are mixed, like meatballs, and casseroles.

What I usually do, around 1x a month, is steam a massive batch of celery and carrots until tender. Saute a bunch of onion at the same time. Then I dump equal amounts of all 3 into the blender with about 1/4 cup of the water from the steaming. Blend until smooth. I put it in a ziplock baggie and lay it flat in the freezer until solid. When I want to cook with it, I just break off a corner and weigh it. I also label the bag with the exact gram breakdown (grams of each ingredient....total grams and calories per 100g..and what I named the recipe in MFP so I can easily add it to new recipes as I cook).

I also do batches of pureed spinach, cauliflower, zuchinni/summer squash and pureed bell peppers, but those I keep to 1 ingredient purees, because they don't always work with a recipe. I find that celery, carrots and onion pretty much go with anything I'm making.

Its not much, but considering he will only willingly eat steamed broccoli, fried potatoes, canned green beans and canned corn.....its better than nothing!

As far as meal suggestions go...I cook for me and the kids. If he eats it, great. If not, not my problem. He always sits with us and dishes out a serving anyways and pushes it around. Our kids are too young to notice hes not actually eating but old enough to question why hes not having dinner, lol.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    As far as getting him more on board...you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink!

He has to be ready. Be supportive of any efforts he makes towards a healthier life. Keep healthy options he enjoys in the house. Lead by example.

Thats really all you can do.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Try a new recipe each week. With that recipe, serve a different veggie prepared in a different way. He may not like it, but it gives you both something new to try and you might find ideas for future meals.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    The only way my husband will eat 99.9% of veggies is if I blend them into a pulp and then add them to meals. If he cant see chunks of them, then he's a happy camper. He knows I do this....I'm not "sneaking" them in on him. For him its just out of sight/out of mind. He also has some textural issues with a few cooked veggies, and pureeing them eliminates the texture issues.

This works great for things like soups, stews, sauces and things that are mixed, like meatballs, and casseroles.

What I usually do, around 1x a month, is steam a massive batch of celery and carrots until tender. Saute a bunch of onion at the same time. Then I dump equal amounts of all 3 into the blender with about 1/4 cup of the water from the steaming. Blend until smooth. I put it in a ziplock baggie and lay it flat in the freezer until solid. When I want to cook with it, I just break off a corner and weigh it. I also label the bag with the exact gram breakdown (grams of each ingredient....total grams and calories per 100g..and what I named the recipe in MFP so I can easily add it to new recipes as I cook).

I also do batches of pureed spinach, cauliflower, zuchinni/summer squash and pureed bell peppers, but those I keep to 1 ingredient purees, because they don't always work with a recipe. I find that celery, carrots and onion pretty much go with anything I'm making.

Its not much, but considering he will only willingly eat steamed broccoli, fried potatoes, canned green beans and canned corn.....its better than nothing!

As far as meal suggestions go...I cook for me and the kids. If he eats it, great. If not, not my problem. He always sits with us and dishes out a serving anyways and pushes it around. Our kids are too young to notice hes not actually eating but old enough to question why hes not having dinner, lol.

He only likes canned green beans?? Wow, that's rather unusual considering canned veggies tend to taste worse than fresh or frozen.

And a question: If there are some veggies he likes that are good, like the broccoli or green beans, what's wrong with eating them as your veggie all the time? I mean, some people want variety, but I don't see what's wrong with eating the same 3 veggies all the time if that's what you like. At least he's eating them! ^^;
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    We eat lots of meat and potatoes...with a green vegetable.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    He only likes canned green beans?? Wow, that's rather unusual considering canned veggies tend to taste worse than fresh or frozen.

That's subjective, no? The juice they come canned in is nice & salty already.
    what's wrong with eating them as your veggie all the time? I mean, some people want variety, but I don't see what's wrong with eating the same 3 veggies all the time if that's what you like.

Nothing wrong with it, but if you buy the theory of hormesis as being the best thing about eating plants (which I do)... then the goal is as wide a variety of plants poking at you in different ways as you can manage.
  • MrsLeonard2016
    MrsLeonard2016 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone!! As for making him cook or starve, I wouldn't do that to him. I'm old fashioned and enjoy doing the cooking, cleaning etc. So these days I cook one meal and make him mashed potatoes and me some broccoli for example.. I am in no way trying to force anything on him just looking for ideas to help him since he wants to be healthier.