"Healthy Fats" and the fat goal....is it ok to go over?

Options
Trying to incorporate "healthy fats" into my diet (Avocado, walnuts, olive oil, etc) . Anyone else having a hard time incorporating these and staying under the fat goal? I'm wondering if it's ok to go over a little if they are heart healthy fats? I've used bare minimum to try to keep within range - hard to do if you don't want to feel hungry all the time.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Someone told me they heard on Dr. Oz that if you take a Metamucil capsule before each meal it absorbs the fat so your body will not absorb it. Just something I heard? If you are only eating healthy fats I would not worry but if you are eating both it does matter. Maybe try the Metamucil? But if you take fiber pills you HAVE TOO DRINK A LOT OF WATER or you will get blocked... If you know what I mean.
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a half of a single serving instead of a whole serving.....:smooched:
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    People can give you better advice if you open up your diary :D
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Most of my fats come from "healthy" fats. AND I almost always go over on fat every day. AND I'm still losing. :)

For me, if I concentrate on getting enough protein, and stay away from starchy carbs, the rest just kind of falls into place.

But still, I try not to be WAY over.

I have found that a 1 oz serving of Almonds will almost always put me over, so now I eat 1/2 oz a day. I count out my little 12 nuts for my snack - they still satisfy me and keep the hunger away between meals!

So, in short, I think it's ok to go over a little bit.

My macros are set at 40/30/30 if that helps.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Going over is fine as long as you stay under your calorie requirements. Fats arent stored as fats, extra calories are. Fats and proteins both have minimums you should consume daily, fats for hormone regulation, joints etc and proteins for muscle support and prevenet muscle loss.

Stay under your calories and your fine!
  • goodner2007
    goodner2007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you - all great responses! Much appreciated!
  • anjelyc23
    anjelyc23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Healthy fats are good for your brain, heart and skin, while providing essential fatty acids to energize fuel. As far as losing weight, all fats have about the same number of calories. Cutting the total fat in your diet not only helps you shed pounds, it can also help you live longer and healthier.
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture's 2005 Dietary Guidelines recommend that adults get 20%-35% of their calories from fats. At a minimum, we need at least 10% of our calories to come from fat.

So, in a nutshell, it's okay to go over a little bit if you aren't trying to lose weight but even healthy fats can cause weight gain. It's best to stay within your required fat intake but trade those bad fats for healthy fats.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/skinny-fat-good-fats-bad-fats