How often are people training?

Kie_Hughes
Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
edited March 2016 in Getting Started
Some people I know train everyday but I'm a big believer in rest days to allow our bodies to recover ready to train insane the following day. Obviously everybody is different but my way of thinking has got me in the condition I'm in today,

Replies

• Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    For resistance training, I see my trainer twice a week for an hour each time, then I go a third time to my gym on my own. I try to do some cardio every day, but don't always. I'm 52, have lost 27 lbs so far on this routine. My goals are to gain strength, balance and stamina after an illness that affected my lungs. And to lose weight.
  • Kie_Hughes
    edited March 2016
    You sound like you've got a good routine in place and your seeing results from it and your fighting fit now so well done
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I lift 3 days a week (stronglifts 5x5).

I run or some other form of cardio at the gym 2-3 days a week (alternating from days I lift).

I will do light cardio on my "rest" days (like take a walk with the family). I consider it an active rest. I'm taking a break from vigorous exercise, but I'm not being a couch potato either. I do this 1- 2 days a week.

When I can't get to the gym, I do workout videos or apps at home. Like this past week, my youngest son has been really sick and clingy. To get a workout in I was using the 7 min workout from FitStar that is preloaded into my Fitbit Blaze a couple times a day.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    I have been on this weight loss journey for a long time and I am down 100 pounds since my heaviest weight. Over that time, I have spoken to a few different professionals. I take a little of what each day and this is what I have come up with. I am at the gym 6 days a week. I always do one hour of cardio with a five minute cool down. I also try to do strength training but sometimes because of my work schedule, time doesn't permit it. When I can, I always use machines to work on my stomach and back and chest. Then I alternate my arms and legs. So I do chest/stomach/back arms one day; chest/stomach/back legs the next day; cardio only one day... Etc. on this latest journey I have lost another 25 pounds! About 60 more to go!
  • Kie_Hughes
    I lift 3 days a week (stronglifts 5x5).

I run or some other form of cardio at the gym 2-3 days a week (alternating from days I lift).

I will do light cardio on my "rest" days (like take a walk with the family). I consider it an active rest. I'm taking a break from vigorous exercise, but I'm not being a couch potato either. I do this 1- 2 days a week.

When I can't get to the gym, I do workout videos or apps at home. Like this past week, my youngest son has been really sick and clingy. To get a workout in I was using the 7 min workout from FitStar that is preloaded into my Fitbit Blaze a couple times a day.

Your far from being a couch potato and have an active lifestyle. Going for family walks is a great way of burning calories and is more scenic compared to walking on a treadmill looking at the same 4 monotomous walls.
  • Kie_Hughes
    I have been on this weight loss journey for a long time and I am down 100 pounds since my heaviest weight. Over that time, I have spoken to a few different professionals. I take a little of what each day and this is what I have come up with. I am at the gym 6 days a week. I always do one hour of cardio with a five minute cool down. I also try to do strength training but sometimes because of my work schedule, time doesn't permit it. When I can, I always use machines to work on my stomach and back and chest. Then I alternate my arms and legs. So I do chest/stomach/back arms one day; chest/stomach/back legs the next day; cardio only one day... Etc. on this latest journey I have lost another 25 pounds! About 60 more to go!

Like I said earlier everyone is different and what works for me won't necessarily work for the next person but you sound like your doing great so keep at it and you will reach your desired goal and prove to people that with dedication and hard work anything is possible
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    I always take one day off a week- usually Sunday. I swim very hard three days a week and I *always* feel sore the next day. On the days I don't swim I power walk and do weights at home. Not heavy lifting - but weights to keep my joints and back strong and injury-free for swimming and walking. I push hard on those days too- adding reps and/or difficulty, and I very often feel sore somewhere the next day too. Basically if I didn't take a day off - I'd be sore every single day.
  • 45strotter
    45strotter Posts: 7 Member
    I do a 3 mile hike in the mountains around my house 4 days a week, usually a rest day in the middle. Then I try and lift 3 days a week. Sometimes full body, heavy leg day or upper body. Kinda depends on if I've hit my 4 hiking days. I'm a believer in rest days!!! Trying to get in shape for a 10 mile hike out of the Grand Canyon in July!! Would also like to drop 20lbs. Don't know if I should focus more on weights, hiking or just keep doing what I'm doing!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I lift 3x a week full body following an intermediate program
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I lift 4x per week. Two days power, two days hypertrophy. Sessions run anywhere from 1-2 hours. No cardio.
    I would consider 5x per week but in reality it's not sustainable for me so I stick with 4. I have run things like 5x5 for 3x per week as well though at this point I much prefer a 4 day split.
  • NA1979
    NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
    I train full body and use only compound excerices approx 3 to 4 days a week,never use body split training, also throw in 10-15 hiit running towards the end. My diet has been *kitten* though, so will clean it up for the next 8 weeks, using myfitnesspal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I lift 5 or 6 days a week. Usually do cardio about the same amount.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    I lift 5 or 6 days per week, depending on how busy the weekends are. I do cardio 6 days. I also stretch and foam roll daily. My rest day is usually spent walking, stretching, foam rolling, and working around the house. But my rest day is almost always on the weekend. My work has a gym, so working out here is easy.
  • Kie_Hughes
    It's good to see everyone has a varied gym pattern but I guess we all do what best fits into our daily life