First half marathon ADVICE

Hi all. I am signing up for my first half marathon in October. Currently, I can barely run a 5k! Any training tips? I have downloaded Gipis as a guide. It
suggests 3 days a week of training. How many days a week do others recommend? And any other suggestions? :smile: Thanks!

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Checkout Hal Higdon half marathon novice training plan. It work for me.

Have fun and don't worry about finishing time.
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 779 Member
    You should start doing the c25k app to help you, it's a program that helps your body to eventually get use to running. build your stamina and get a good training esp when you mention you can barely run a 5k. this is a good starting tool into running. i run at least 3x a week, i would usually start running on 4.5 and gradually upped it to 5.5, 6.5 and 7.5, i'd adjust it back down when my legs are getting weak and bring it back up. the key is to not stop, to not walk and to not give up. because if you start walking it's gonna be harder to get back into the groove. if you are running outdoor, same thing. try to pace yourself, don't quit running and don't start walking just because your mind is telling you to stop and you are tired, because you are not. it's just in your head. your body is capable of doing the impossible, you just have to believe it. try to start running 3x a week for as long as you want. whenever you can run, do it. make sure to drink lots of water, banana and even protein shake.

I am planning on doing half marathon as well but for now, i'd just stick with 5k's and 10k's, i work 3rd shift so it's harder to train better. let me know how it go. i'd love to see what training you'll end up doing :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Run, run some more & repeat......

At the risk of sounding like a wet blanket why are you jumping into a half-marathon so quickly? Depending on your age, health and current state of fitness setting the bar so high so quickly while doable may not be advisable.

If you are determined to do it take things in stages. Train for a 5K first (something like C25K) run consistently 3 or 4 times per week, progress at a reasonable rate (most running injuries are too much, too soon, too fast) and actually run a 5K race (don't worry about finishing times yet, this is just to get some racing experience for mental preparation) The train for a 10K and race a 10K then follow a HM training plan (I'll second the suggestion of Hal Higdon's Novice HM plan)

If you do things right you will have an enjoyable experience, finish with a smile and (we hope) continue running in the long term. Rushing things usually leads to injuries and, often, quitting running as you hurt and are miserable..........it's supposed to be fun (and it can be)!
  • llillio
    llillio Posts: 9 Member
    You have plenty of time to train for October race. Start running 3~4 days a week. It's easy to over train and hurt yourself in the beginning so take it easy and build at a moderate pace. The half marathon training plans (there are lots of them out there) are typically 10~14 weeks in duration. And you want to be in shape to comfortably run combined 13~20 miles a week before you start one. So you want to time your training to start a training plan about 2.5 months before the race.

Have fun.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    My running tip would be to start running regularly to get your miles up and then as someone has said find a half marathon plan about 4/5 months before the race
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    and I disagree with the no walking rule. Slow down and walk through water stations. If you do walk runs as your long run training plan it will be ok.

Include some hill training-it really pays off on race day.

Go in some local 10 k runs or 5k runs as part of your training. They get you used to the race day energy.

Have fun! As John Stanton says the goal is to cross the finish line upright and smiling.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    So simple, yet so effective! ;)
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    3 x a week is fine, just make sure you do a long run, a hill run and a tempo run. Personally I have found running room type clinics really help keep your training on track and it's easier to run the longer runs with other people. Also I trained for a marathon by doing 10 and 1 ( 10 mins running, 1 min slow walk) and ran the marathon in Boston qualifying time.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    A half is totally feasible for October if: 1) never forget your goal. Oct is still a long way off. 2) Run 3-4 days a week, every week. Even in the heat. Even in the wind and rain. Even with a cold and you feel like total **** during the run. (Only breaks are for vacations and real illnesses, others may disagree with me here). 3) Pick a training program 3-4 months before race. Most beginner programs will have you max out at ~11-12 miles before tapering. 4) Stay injury free. Don't overdo any of your runs. Unfortunately some injuries you cannot avoid and may be a deciding factor.

Good luck!!!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Nothing new on race day! No new shoes, no new socks, no new supplements, nothing!!! Trust your training and you'll be great!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    There are a lot of new runners, new distance runners at the RunDisney half marathons who have successfully used the Jeff Galloway walk-run program. It doesn't work well for me because my walk pace is slow, but I used the training plan minus the walking part for my first half marathon. Now I've run 11 successfully since Jan 2016 -- my time has been between 2:43 and 3:16. Add me as a friend if you want, and I'm happy to pass plans or advice.
  • sshimst123
    sshimst123 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for the information. I started running a year ago and I love. Goal this year is a half marathon
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    SusanUW83 wrote: »
    There are a lot of new runners, new distance runners at the RunDisney half marathons who have successfully used the Jeff Galloway walk-run program. It doesn't work well for me because my walk pace is slow, but I used the training plan minus the walking part for my first half marathon. Now I've run 11 successfully since Jan 2016 -- my time has been between 2:43 and 3:16. Add me as a friend if you want, and I'm happy to pass plans or advice.

I was going to suggest the same, especially as a new runner. Look into run-walk programs to help you reach your goal.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Train for a 10k race first perhaps?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited March 2016

At the risk of sounding like a wet blanket why are you jumping into a half-marathon so quickly? Depending on your age, health and current state of fitness setting the bar so high so quickly while doable may not be advisable.

If you are determined to do it take things in stages. Train for a 5K first (something like C25K) run consistently 3 or 4 times per week, progress at a reasonable rate (most running injuries are too much, too soon, too fast) and actually run a 5K race (don't worry about finishing times yet, this is just to get some racing experience for mental preparation) The train for a 10K and race a 10K then follow a HM training plan (I'll second the suggestion of Hal Higdon's Novice HM plan)

If you do things right you will have an enjoyable experience, finish with a smile and (we hope) continue running in the long term. Rushing things usually leads to injuries and, often, quitting running as you hurt and are miserable..........it's supposed to be fun (and it can be)!

Yup, ^this.

Not that you'll get anything but criticism that you would crush her dreams like this though...even if it's based on years of experience and having witnessed how these things usually play out.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited March 2016
    3 x a week is fine, just make sure you do a long run, a hill run and a tempo run.

Why would you suggest speed work to someone who can barely run 5K yet?

OP, focus on your aerobic base and, for the time being, ignore speed work. Your goal is to finish, upright & with a smile on your face.
    SusanUW83 wrote: »
    Now I've run 11 successfully since Jan 2016 -- my time has been between 2:43 and 3:16. Add me as a friend if you want, and I'm happy to pass plans or advice.

I'm hoping the 2016 is a typo. 11 half-marathons in less than 10 weeks?

• carly191
    carly191 Posts: 2 Member
    Definitely doable.
    I did my first half in October 15 and started running a year ago today.
    I couldn't run for a minute.
    I stated a run walk programme to get going through jog scotland. Being in a group helped to get me out in all weathers and to learn different routes etc.
    Then I did hal Higdon plan -ish with a couple 10k races too. Also joined a running club locally which helped massively. Had suvh great support and tines with the group. Finished my first half in 1.56 and felt good. Have done a couple half's since and training for my first marathon now.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    3 x a week is fine, just make sure you do a long run, a hill run and a tempo run.

Why would you suggest speed work to someone who can barely run 5K yet?

OP, focus on your aerobic base and, for the time being, ignore speed work. Your goal is to finish, upright & with a smile on your face.

I totally agree with @BrianSharpe here. Forget about any speedwork until you have a SOLID base. Last year I went from non-runner to a sub 2-hour half marathon in 6 months with 98% of my runs being slow runs, other than the various 5K and 10K races I entered.

Rule #1 for training for training for your half is to avoid injury. Do that by slowly increasing the miles and doing all your miles as easy-paced miles, or "conversational pace" miles. This will allow your body to adapt to the longer miles while allowing you to run longer distances.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member

I agree with this progression. Start Couch to 5k. Then a 10k plan (Hal Higdon as a good one, or there's Bridge to 10k, or One Hour Runner). Then start a genuine Half Marathon program.

I'd stick with 3 runs a week with a rest day (non-running day, feel free to walk or do what cross-training you want) in between each day until you can run 3 miles a week. Then add a 4th day. When you can run a 10k or once you can run one hour, add a 5th day.

Zero to half in 8 months is pretty ambitious. What's the hurry? Why not take longer to train and be stronger and more confident when you race rather than barely squeaking by?
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Also echo Hal Higdon. I went from not being able to run at all in late July 2013 to my first 5k in late September and my first HM in April.

Some lessons learned that are repeats of above.

1) start with the C25k to learn to build an aerobic base. Once you're able to run 30 minutes, you'll find it easy to tack a little bit on with each run.

2) Build your mileage slowly. I think the adage is to only add 10% to your weekly total per week. There will be a point where you'll feel great and want to boost your mileage across the board. It's a recipe for an overuse injury. Just keep slowly building up.

3) Get fit for shoes. I got a bad fit and ended up win some neutral Brooks Ghosts. Awesome shoes, but I got a bad case of post tibular tendinitis that bothered me for months.

The Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan is great. It slowly builds up your mileage. The last mile of each long run will feel like a chore. (The last one is 12 miles). But on race day you'll be absolutely ready.

Good luck!