Never Hungry For Breakfast

Options
So I have such a hard time making myself eat breakfast, and it's making it hard to get the right amount of calories. I'm just not hungry in the morning. For today, for example, my breakfast (half a slice of white toast with peanut butter) was only 120 calories. I beefed up my lunch as much as I could, and we're having sausage and dirty rice for dinner, but between my weak breakfast and exercise, I'm 450 under my goal! Is there anyway to get myself to eat in the morning? Or should I just plan on huge lunches instead?

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    There is no proof that you 'need' breakfast so I would just enjoy the calories at another time of day.
  • clutchitalian
    clutchitalian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i cant eat early either....i always have a protein shake as soon as i wake up......
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    There's not a good reason to eat in the morning if you're not hungry. Many people here don't. I myself usually have a very small breakfast. I make it up with a larger dinner and a big bedtime snack.

What really matters is your total calorie intake. Eat a mostly nutritious diet, stay within your calorie goals, and eat when it suits you.
  • clutchitalian
    clutchitalian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    its good to get ur metabolism going....
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So don't eat breakfast. But you still will need to eat more during the day to reach your calorie goal. Eat more calorie dense foods if you're having troubles.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry, not when society's idea of "breakfast" tells you to.

I only have coffee and cream until about noon or so... this is fine.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat breakfast, some days I don't. There's no proof of it getting your metabolism going and I've never noticed any difference. Added bonus, more calories for lunch and dinner. :wink:
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast due to not being hungry, then don't. My opinion however, would be to still drink a protein shake as your body has reserves of carbs and fat to utilize, but the reserves of protein are your muscle. Going 8+ hours of not having amino acids available in your body puts existing muscle at risk, especially if you are training.

As as edit: as @Afura mentioned, you will have those extra calories you can then utilize for meals later in the day. Some people find it easier to diet like this....eating less in the beginning of the day to have more to eat at the end of the day. This is how I operate as I tend to sleep better with a bigger meal in me before bed.
  • NikishaRichelle
    NikishaRichelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would only suggest drinking protein shakes in the morning if you work out 4-5 times a week. If you don't they can actually make it harder to loose weight. Most of those protein shakes are garbage. I'd find a plant based one if you do want to try it. Plant protein is very healthy for you. The bad thing about not eating breakfast is that it tends to make you eat more during the day. Or snack late at night. Try eating two bananas each morning, or a banana and another fruit or an egg. It important to recognize your hunger cues but you can also train them. Breakfast gets you going, it makes you more alert and energetic throughout the day. And despite other comments it does kickstart your metabolism. If you immediately turn to caffeine in the morning that might be why you don't feel hungry, it's an appetite suppressant. So try eating a small breakfast of fruit or a single egg omelet. Something small and then have your morning coffee/tea. Pretty soon you'll want to eat in the am and you'll likely have less craving and more energy for it :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't eat breakfast. I rarely have breakfast other than coffee and creamer. You do need to get your calories in at some point throughout the day, though.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about eating breakfast, I skip it a lot during the week. If you are having a hard time making up the calories, try cooking with more good for you fats like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and grassfed butter, if you like avocados, 1 a day is several hundred calories. I wouldn't recommend trying to make up the deficit with junk if you can avoid it.

The days that I don't eat breakfast, I have Bulletproof Coffee (16oz coffee, 1T butter, 1tsp coconut oil, 1/2tsp cinnamon, and a splash of vanilla extract) which easily tides me over.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    its good to get ur metabolism going....

False. You don't need to eat breakfast.

OP if you need more calories, eat more calorie dense foods
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry first thing in the morning, but I will have my Green tea. I used to drink coffee with creamer, I gave that up for tea. My breakfast is a staggered breakfast, in that, between 8am-11am, I will have had my Green tea, a grapefruit, and cottage cheese with peaches or yogurt with granola or over-easy eggs on English muffin. My lunch is usually around 2pm with a large salad with tuna fish or boiled eggs or chicken.

I eat when I am hungry not by the clock saying it is meal time.

If you are not eating breakfast, when do you get super hungry?
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, I eat a big lunch and a big dinner. It feels much better than eating less more often.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me is the first meal of the day regardless of when I eat it. During the week I have coffee at about 7am during my commute to work and I generally don't actually feel hungry until about 10:30am. I manage to both lose 95 pounds and gain 25 with this habit. Eat when you want but be sure to eat a fairly nutritious diet and stay within your goals.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at night. Like really eat. So my fast rule for myself is if I can eat by 4pm I skip breakfast. I'm up at 6-7am everyday. Twice a week I work 12-14 hours so on those days I can't eat until between 9-11pm. On those days I have breakfast.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    I am not hungry first thing in the morning, but I will have my Green tea. I used to drink coffee with creamer, I gave that up for tea. My breakfast is a staggered breakfast, in that, between 8am-11am, I will have had my Green tea, a grapefruit, and cottage cheese with peaches or yogurt with granola or over-easy eggs on English muffin. My lunch is usually around 2pm with a large salad with tuna fish or boiled eggs or chicken.

I eat when I am hungry not by the clock saying it is meal time.

If you are not eating breakfast, when do you get super hungry?

Usually right around noon, later or earlier depending on how active my morning's been. Lately I've just been sticking to toast and peanut butter, just so i can make it through my 3 hour 8am class without wanting to die!