Lactose intolerant... and no soy. Dairy alternatives? (not just milk)

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have you researched Raw Milk at all? If it's legal in your state, it could be worth a try. Goats Milk is also a great alternative.

@BigAnnieG I grew up on raw goat's milk. My mother knew lots of people who could not tolerate cow's milk who were fine with goat's milk. YMMV.

I don't drink any sort of milk now and in your situation would just switch to cuisines that didn't have a big emphasis on dairy.

I know you don't want to give it up though. What about making your own yogurt from the Arla's Lactofree milk?
    http://www.examiner.com/list/homemade-yogurt-recipe-for-beautiful-skin-and-weight-loss

(There's some woo but the directions seem solid.)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You say giving up dairy is out of the question so I imagine the rich creaminess appeals to you. Just be warned that the dairy replacements (other than Fairlife) typically are much lower in protein. Milk gives you milk. The others might give you rich creaminess of a sort, and often more calcium, but they are not the same.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink anything like Coconut or Almond Milk or Rice Milk, they are full of additives and things that you may not want to put in to your body.

Organic almonds, spring water, organic acacia gum and sea salt.

Coconutmilk (Filtered Water, Coconut Cream), Contains 2% or less of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

Filtered water, organic brown rice (partially milled), organic expeller pressed safflower and/or canola oil, tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, vitamin B12.

Sound like such unhealthy ingredients don't they :s

Do you know what acacia gum is? Or what constitutes "natural flavor"? Do you regularly consume vegetable oils? I certainly don't want them added to my beverages.

Different strokes for different folks, I'd rather not put any of those additives in to my body and get my vitamins from whole foods, not through fortified beverages. Do you know what the ingredients in goats milk are? Goats milk.

Acacia gum is a natural gum made from hardened tree sap. It's been used since antiquity. If people want to avoid foods made from sap, they're perfectly free to do so. But I am not aware of any compelling health reason to do so. And I like maple syrup, so I plan to keep eating foods made from sap.

"Natural flavor" is found in a wide variety of foods. Again, people can choose to avoid it. But why? Just because? Same with vegetables oils. I need some fat to live. Any specific reasons why these fats in particular should be cut from the diet while including fats from dairy?

A preference not to put additives in your body is just that . . . a preference. If you're going to tell other people what they should avoid, maybe come up with a specific reason why?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    There are lactose free milk products out there. Lactaid is fine for me to drink (I'm just too cheap to buy it) and I'm lactose intolerant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I take Lactaid (generic, though) tablets all day long and consume tons of dairy :) I break them into bits depending on how much and what I'm eating or drinking. It works great. I can eat a lot more yogurt than anything else without having to take the enzyme, so you might try the yogurt in a small amount and see how you do.

Mine's all digestive, though. I've never noticed any other symptoms, although my big digestive symptom is actually bad abdominal pain! It took me forever to figure out it was a lactose problem (I didn't have it growing up).
  • shannonmelek
    shannonmelek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Almond beverage from trader joes!!!!!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Have you researched Raw Milk at all? If it's legal in your state, it could be worth a try. Goats Milk is also a great alternative. I wouldn't drink anything like Coconut or Almond Milk or Rice Milk, they are full of additives and things that you may not want to put in to your body.

I've heard this many times over the years but unfortunately goats milk has lactose in it as well, even raw. Some people who are milk intolerant tolerate it better but if you are truly lactose intolerant it is a big no no.

I'm lactose intolerant, but I can tolerate a small amount of raw milk (or super-fermented yogurt --over 24 hours) pretty well. Raw milk still has some lactic acid bacteria in it, so they can help break down some of the lactose in it.

Instead of butter, you may be able to eat ghee. Ghee is basically butter that has been boiled and skimmed to remove all of the milk solids. I make it at home, and it didn't seem to bother my stomach. I use it as a toast spread, and I cook with it sometimes. When it's avaliable, I also love to use beef tallow. It makes everything you cook or spread it on taste like hamburgers, which I absolutely love.

SO Delicious makes a ton of really awesome dairy-free products. They have a new line of coconut blended milks that are really good. I've been drinking the Coconut Almond one recently, and I really like it! They also make a product called Cocowhip, which is like a version of Coolwhip that is dairy free. If you can find a store that sells it, it's probably in sale this month since UNFI (the distributor that a lot of stores buy it from) has it in sale this month.

They also make coconut milk yogurts. I love the unsweetened one, since it doesn't have a ton of sugar in it. Just coconut milk, cultures, and some thickeners. They make a greek coconut milk yogurt too, but it has a ton of sugar added. Their ice creams are delicious too. The cashew milk flavors have the closest texture to premium real ice cream. Creamy Cashew is the best flavor.

Luna and Larry's makes really good coconut milk ice creams too. They're more "premium" than most of SO Delicious's lineup, since they're higher in calories and fat and have more mix-ins. Ben and Jerry's and Blue Bunny are both coming out with almond milk flavors later this year.

Daiya and Follow Your Heart both make good completely non-dairy cheese substitutes without soy. Go! Veggie cheese substitutes have milk casein added, so be careful with those. Daiya is my favorite cheese substitute, since their products all taste good, and they have a really big selection of products. They make a variety of shreds (that really melt!), blocks, pizzas, and cheesecakes. Their slices also make excellent grilled cheese, and their instant mac and cheese varieties are really good. The company will send you coupons if you email them and ask.

I make most of my nondairy milk at home to save money (so I can buy more ice cream!). I usually just take 2tbsp of nut butter and blend it with 4 cups of milk. Just be sure to shake your container before you pour your milk out. If you want it sweeter, you could add sugar, honey, or flavor extracts. I love how customizable it is, and I love how I don't have to deal with nut milk bags!

Enjoy Life! is a really good company that makes all sort of allergy-friendly sweets. They have delicious soft-baked cookies, and they make all sorts of non-dairy, soy-free baking chips and mixes. They taste just as good as the ones made with milk, I promise.

Garden of Life has great vegan protein powders that are soy-free. Their Smooth Plant Protein is the best variety, since it's not gritty and actually tastes really good. The vanilla flavor is great on it's own, and also mixes well into smoothies.

RX Bars are good non-dairy protein bars. They source from egg white protein, and all of them have really simple ingredient lists. They kind of taste like a slightly denser Larabar, but they're still really tasty!

I probably have a few more things that I'm forgetting about. I'll post them later.
  • shannonmelek
    shannonmelek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Camel milk is lactate free. Lol
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Holland and Barrett have a range of lactose free products. I'm over in Germany and we have MinusL products which are lactose free. Not sure if they are available in UK but the website has option for English language as well. http://www.minusl.com/ maybe worth having a look for them over there? x
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I almost envy your need to be lactose free. There seem to be more main stream like products that can be available lactose free.

Sorting the HPAT axis could well see off all food and environmental intolerances. Endo texts.

Best of luck

THANK YOU so much this was a really helpful post! I also have hashis and had to go outside the NHS for the thyroid issues to be more sorted out.

So helpful, thank you :)
  • BigAnnieG
    Options
    Have you researched Raw Milk at all? If it's legal in your state, it could be worth a try. Goats Milk is also a great alternative. I wouldn't drink anything like Coconut or Almond Milk or Rice Milk, they are full of additives and things that you may not want to put in to your body.

I'm in the UK :) I haven't heard of Raw Milk though? Oh goat's milk, there's one I hadn't thought of - I know I can have goat cheese so it might be worth a try. Isn't it a bit sour for having in tea though?!
  • BigAnnieG
    Options
    Fairlife milk, Silk Cashew milk, Chobani plain greek yogurt is 95% lactose free and I've heard oikos yogurt may be. Do you have an Aldi where you live? Their Happy Farms sliced cheddar and mozzerella have a lactose free stamp on the back. A lot of the cashew and coconut ice creams are good along with coconut whipped topping. I'm not sure what you mean about the protein because most if not all are lactose free..?

Thanks - I;ll keep an eye out for these :)

I seem to be very sensitive to even minimal lactose, which is part of the whey creation process, so normal whey protein makes my skin red raw even after one shake :( I know the lactose is minimal, but it's still there!
  • BigAnnieG
    Options

Be careful as milk is in almost every packaged item!

This. I am on a steep learning curve with this. The intolerance has definitely worsened in recent months, and I've had to strip back to a 'you didn't make it with single ingredients, don't eat it' way of living... which isn't so bad for the diet I suppose! But frustrating when dining out etc.

• BigAnnieG
    Options
    @Strawblackcat perfect, thank you! So helpful :)
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I too am lactose intolerant.

There's some dairy products I can tolerate in small quantities IF I take Lactaid pills before I eat.
    such as yogurts & hard cheeses & salami (yes, salami has milk products in it!!)

Unfortunately, the lactaid pills aren't strong enough to help me with dairy ice cream nor dairy milk :(:(

Not sure if the UK has something similar.

Do you know what dairy component specifically causes your eczema to act up?
    Is it from lactose, or casein, or maybe something else in the dairy ?

If you not familiar with lactaid ~ it's has the live enzyme that helps breaks down lactose.
    btw ~ It's temperature sensitive ~ shouldn't be stored in your car, or might kill it.
    here's a link....
    https://www.lactaid.com/products/fast-act-caplets?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Branded+-+Supplements&utm_term=lactaid%20pills&utm_content=Supplements|mkwid|sS0Yc41QC_dc|pcrid|74665937182

good luck ~
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Having been diagnoised as gluten, wheat, gliadin, dairy, and egg intolerant I know how much of a trial a restricted diet can be. There's loads of good advice above, if I can add 2 thoughts it will be these:

Firstly, it takes quite a time for your taste buds to adapt to new / different flavours and also to adapt to the different consistencies (particularly with milk alternatives and protein powders). But, if you start by mixing them into foods you can eat that eases the transition.

Secondly, read the label on everything, and get to learn which companies are good with their allergy alert labelling and those that just tuck that information away. Even after several years I can still get caught out with some things that aren't prominently flagged.