5ft and struggling big time with body image

msteele377
msteele377 Posts: 14 Member
edited March 2016 in Introduce Yourself
I'm 5ft and have been between 115-125 my entire life. My mothers has suffered with an eating disorder the majority of her life (she's 5'1 and has only been 105lbs at very biggest). Growing up with her constant critique has jumbled my self image big time. My high school grad gift was lipo on my thighs when I only weighed 115. Crazy I know, but I didn't know better then! I'm 25 now, recently married, my self confidence has plummeted. After college I put on some weight (my first years of teaching I didn't take care of myself) and am up to 145. I see the height and weight charts and it crushes me. I want to get back to a weight around 124. But The only way I've ever seen diets succeed was through my mom who starved herself or lived off cottage cheese for weeks at a time. I feel that at 5ft and 145 I look like a whale. I wish I could understand what I really look like to others. I know that sounds so weird. But I often feel so huge I'm too overwhelmed to stick to one diet for very long. I love to run. I typically run 10-13 miles in a week but I'm usually starving after I run. And eat back those calories I burned

Replies

• msteele377
    Thank you! Information like that helps me get a better idea of what a healthy goal looks like!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Awesome
  • briegirl28
    briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
    I would recommend therapy first. I think if can be so helpful to talk to someone about how you were raised in regards to food/eating and body image issues. This can help a lot in terms of understanding when you are using thought patterns and ideas that are maybe not the healthiest, etc.

Basically, seeing a therapist can help to rebuild a healthy relationship with your body and with food. So many of a were raised with similar body and food issues and learning which ones are best for us and which ones harm us is the first step in being able to understand how to treat ourselves better and to become healthier.
  • msteele377
    Yes! I sure have been! It just takes so much time and work to develop a entire new understanding of what a healthy body image looks like! Ugh! You're right though!