need a good idea on how much exercise/what machines i should be using?

Options
i'm 249 lbs, 5'7. i lost about 7 lbs so far. my goal weight is probably 180, i'd be ok with that. i lost 20 lbs last year just calorie counting and doing some walking, but ended up gaining the weight back since i wasn't really caring on where i got my calories from. it eventually got old/tiring and i would eat out everywhere, gaining all my weight back. well now i want to lose the weight in a healthy way, including exercise as well.

i'm familiar with the bike, treadmill (but don't walk too fast, fastest is probably 3.5), and the elliptical. everytime i do the elliptical i get really sore after the next day after 20 minutes on that machine (i couldn't even do 5 minutes at first but worked up to it). what should a typical routine look like? when do i move on to weight training?

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    take a spin class on the bikes for a great workout.
  • Powerlifting_Viking
    Powerlifting_Viking Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do not know if you have any injuries, however, weight lifting shouldnt be avoided unless there is a specific reason you cannot lift weights (i.e. injury, etc) Weight lifting is and will be a great tool for you to use up fat as energy. When the body synthesizes proteins (bcaa's) it uses energy (calories) to synthesize them. Have you lifted weights before?
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do not know if you have any injuries, however, weight lifting shouldnt be avoided unless there is a specific reason you cannot lift weights (i.e. injury, etc) Weight lifting is and will be a great tool for you to use up fat as energy. When the body synthesizes proteins (bcaa's) it uses energy (calories) to synthesize them. Have you lifted weights before?

This!
    @motivated310

I started as a 5'6" female, at 247 pounds, and I regret not starting weight lifting sooner.

Start weight lifting NOW.

Buy a food scale.

Have patience.

Those are the three things that made ALL the difference. I adjusted my caloric intake every 5 pounds or so that I lost and now I'm down from 247 to 163 pounds.

• Powerlifting_Viking
    Powerlifting_Viking Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great job @lilaclovebird
    Like she stated @motivated310 patience and consistency is key. It will improve over time. Do not give up! you can do it
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Great job @lilaclovebird
    Like she stated @motivated310 patience and consistency is key. It will improve over time. Do not give up! you can do it

Thank you @Powerlifting_Viking :blushing:

That latest pound was killer and only came off after a month of me REALLY starting to pay attention to the food scale again, in conjunction with lifting and the fitbit I got for my birthday. Those daily goals are SO helpful. :blush:

If I keep going, at this rate I should hit my goal weight before the end of this year. I'm in no serious rush, though. Weight lifting has given me different goals other than just weight loss.
  • annaashworth2688
    annaashworth2688 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have hovered around 190lbs for quite a long time (getting down to around 182 last summer for my wedding, since put it back on) and about 6 weeks ago I decided to go for it.

Before this I went to the gym and did elliptical ('cross-trainer' in UK), cycling and a bit on weight machines every time. 6 weeks ago when I sorted myself out I realised I never pushed myself, except at spin classes (these are great).

Here is what I am doing now:

1. Being honest in MFP and learning about the types of foods I eat (it isn't all about the number of calories)
    2. After being a member of my local gym for 5 years (or more!) I decided to get a (free) fitness programme done, it is 1 hour done at least 2-3 times a week and changed every 4-6weeks:

Mixture of around 20 mins cardio - up hill walking (10% incline, gradual speed increase as it gets easier), powermill (stepper) and now rowing too, which is high intensity intervals.
    the rest is strength training - lifting, squats, lunges, battleropes (these are a killer!), step-ups and a core workout at the end.

I also do a bit of swimming and pilates for easier days.

This has been amazing for me, I have loved having a list to follow and then the satisfaction of completing my workout. Find exercises you like, push yourself, eat better and change your routine every 4-6 weeks.

Good luck :-D
  • Denajo17
    Denajo17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much for that motivation
  • motivated310
    motivated310 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I have but not sure how to start a routine, if I did it was like 1 set and 20 reps...
  • motivated310
    Options

This!
    @motivated310

I started as a 5'6" female, at 247 pounds, and I regret not starting weight lifting sooner.

Start weight lifting NOW.

Buy a food scale.

Have patience.

Those are the three things that made ALL the difference. I adjusted my caloric intake every 5 pounds or so that I lost and now I'm down from 247 to 163 pounds.

I use a food scale since i am a bit ocd about my calorie intake. How much calories did you reduce every 5 days? I never heard of that strategy.
  • motivated310
    Options
    I have hovered around 190lbs for quite a long time (getting down to around 182 last summer for my wedding, since put it back on) and about 6 weeks ago I decided to go for it.

Before this I went to the gym and did elliptical ('cross-trainer' in UK), cycling and a bit on weight machines every time. 6 weeks ago when I sorted myself out I realised I never pushed myself, except at spin classes (these are great).

Here is what I am doing now:

1. Being honest in MFP and learning about the types of foods I eat (it isn't all about the number of calories)
    2. After being a member of my local gym for 5 years (or more!) I decided to get a (free) fitness programme done, it is 1 hour done at least 2-3 times a week and changed every 4-6weeks:

Mixture of around 20 mins cardio - up hill walking (10% incline, gradual speed increase as it gets easier), powermill (stepper) and now rowing too, which is high intensity intervals.
    the rest is strength training - lifting, squats, lunges, battleropes (these are a killer!), step-ups and a core workout at the end.

I also do a bit of swimming and pilates for easier days.

This has been amazing for me, I have loved having a list to follow and then the satisfaction of completing my workout. Find exercises you like, push yourself, eat better and change your routine every 4-6 weeks.

Good luck :-D

I also swim on 'easier days'. I guess that has some effect on weight loss even if you are losing a bit less. I'm kind of scared to do squats, as bad as that sounds, I don't want to pull something.
  • motivated310
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    take a spin class on the bikes for a great workout.

I have yet to take a class. What about zumba? Does that burn a lot of calories?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It's all up to what you want to do. Would you like to be muscular and lean or just lean? I started lifting the second I got a gym pass, I couldn't imagine going there and not lifting. If you're a beginner. Look into a 5x5 program. You've got strong lifts, starting strength, and madcow. Among others. If you're at a deficit chances are you won't gain much muscle until you start eating at a surplus, doesn't mean you shouldn't lift though. Strength Is a wonderful thing that has so many real world applications. Avoid machines if you can, they follow unnatural paths and require less stabilizers to do, thus less total work being done. Focus on your major compound lifts if you want to burn calories. Squats and deadlifts should be your best friends.