What time of day would you consider "right" to stop eating

Options
just wondering what would you consider reasonable time to have dinner and stop having snacks?
I've been told eating late as Hispanic families tend to do makes it easier to gain weight...
Wanted to know if it was true? Thanks for your opinions :)
Going to plan to eat earlier and have fruits if in need of a late night snack !

Replies

• CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what time you get up. I don't think it really matters THAT much anyway but probably a few hours before you go to bed. I usually stop eating at 6-7 and then go to sleep at 9 or 10.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I stop eating by 7 if I can help it, no snacks or anything unless I am starving.
    I have heard most people stop after 8
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It is best to stop eating three hours before going to bed.
  • ladyphoebe
    ladyphoebe Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have always been told to stop eating a mimimum of 2 hours before you go to bed
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I guess I break all the rules and eat right up until I go to bed if I still have calories left at the end of the day that I need to use to meet my net.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    It really depends on what time you get up. I don't think it really matters THAT much anyway but probably a few hours before you go to bed. I usually stop eating at 6-7 and then go to sleep at 9 or 10.

Yup totally agree with this. I usually stay up late at night because I did over nights 7pm till 7 am so If I stop eating after 8 would not make work out.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with this... as I am usually eating my night time snack AS I am getting into bed.
  • lindahavard
    Options
    Hi,
    i am new to this but my doctor said 2 to 3 hours before you go to bed.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I stop eating.... (drum roll please).... when I reach my goal. Who cares what the clock says?
  • Deva1026
    Deva1026 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I try to stop at least 2-3 hours before bedtime ( as it causes me to have nightmares :devil: ...no joke!). I tend to go to bed aroun 10-11 so my last snack would be around ...well now, 8 pm.
    If you snack late, go for something healthy and filling.... OR what I do- glass of water with a tablespoon of psylium husk ( fiber). It's filling and ... by morning it will be out of your system :wink:
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I stop eating.... (drum roll please).... when I reach my goal. Who cares what the clock says?

Me too!
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    good rule of thumb... a couple hours before you go to bed so the food has time to digest

if you go to bed at eight then stop at six.... if your like me and go to bed at midnight or 1 then you would stop at about 10 or 11
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    I read an article on WebMD last night that for some people eating after 8 pm causes weight gain regardless of how much you've eaten during the day. I don't know if I'm one of "those" people or not. I eat late because I'm up late and I sleep in until 10ish. So I don't know. It's nearly 8 now and I haven't had dinner yet. I also haven't lost a lot of weight, so there might be some merit to that study. It was done at Northwestern Univerisity in Chicago.
  • paigeasaurxx
    Options
    I asked my doctor this exact question and she said that it really doesn't matter what time you stop eating as long as during the day you burn more calories than you eat.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    There is no research based evidence that I have ever seen that says it makes any difference as long as you don't eat more than the calories you are allowed for the day. The problems with eating at night are for some people it leads to mindless eating, so they eat too much. For others is causes indigestion overnight keeping them from a good nights sleep. As far as whether eating even right before bed in and of itself cause problems for weight loss, it won't. I often have eaten just before bed, and it has not ever been a problem. What it will do if you eat late enough, is have you weigh more first thing in the morning because the food has not digested and passed yet, but that is just the weight of undigested, unpassed food.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    When you're asleep!
    Do what works for you. If it is easier to control snacking by giving yourself a cut off time then do it, but your body doesn't care what the time is.
  • kristiteeter
    Options
    I totally agree that 3 hrs before bed is a good time to stop eating, however I take my vitamins prior to bedtime so I have a cracker or something with it.

I guess I'm a rule breaker as well. :)
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that the night matters. I've always been told that. I think it how much you eat during the day. I love to eat late. I eat a small meal for brkfast, bigger meal for lunch, and then a larger one for dinner and add snacks in throughout the day. Roughly about 1200-1300 calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I read an article on WebMD last night that for some people eating after 8 pm causes weight gain regardless of how much you've eaten during the day. I don't know if I'm one of "those" people or not. I eat late because I'm up late and I sleep in until 10ish. So I don't know. It's nearly 8 now and I haven't had dinner yet. I also haven't lost a lot of weight, so there might be some merit to that study. It was done at Northwestern Univerisity in Chicago.

I would like to see a link to the article. I know that many (I am tempted to say all) of the studies I have seen that show that have major methodological flaws that render their results out right wrong. I would like to see this one because I am not familiar with it.

Edit: I just found the report on it at WebMD. Two comments first the study referred to has not actually been published or peer reviewed so at best the results should be considered possible. Second, even the authors call this a correlation. If you have taken statistics correlation does not mean causation. The illustration my statistics prof would use is that a large majority of lung cancer sufferers drink coffee. That is a correlation, but it is not causation, because it is a matter of many smokers also drink coffee. There may very well be something else causing this that is correlated to eating late at night beyond the factors they allowed for. This is especially the case since the article itself mentions that in many European countries eating late at night is very common, and their does not seem to be a higher amount of obesity. I do know the one question I have is my concern about BMI being an accurate measure for this sort of study. I know that the more I read about BMI, the more I find there are major shortcomings in it as a measure.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Do you poo every night before you go to bed? If not, then your food will be there digesting all night regardless of what time you stop eating. Unless you have nightmares or indigestion that bothers you at night, it does not matter. For weight loss it does not matter.