Scared to go to the gym

Options
I am overweight but not terrible, and I have lifted weights since high school, I recently decided to go back to University and get a free gym membership, but I am so scared to go in to the gym and work out around people. I also want to bring a workout in there but I just don't know how to make a good efficient workout.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid ! I know its intimidating at first but once you get used to the place , you'll be fine ! I bring my workout plan on my phone and flip through it the entire time. Its no problem. Once you get up the courage to go, you will realize there's nothing to be scared of !
    If I lived closer ,I would personally walk you in there ! It breaks my heart when people want to work out but are too nervous to try the gym. Just trust me that everything will be okay and you'll be happy you went.
    Just type out your workout plan into your phones memo pad and then refer back to it when needed .
  • MTurnbull406
    MTurnbull406 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Luckly I can use my old high schools weight room for a few weeks but I'd like to work out at my college as well, I do know i am harder on myself than everyone else, but i dont want anyone to look at me while im there. Or at least figure out when theres not many in there.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Ask the gym workers when the slowest times generally are, and then start out at those times. Once you get more comfortable, go whenever you want! I've been at this for nine months, and I still have plenty of days where I'm anxious about going because I don't feel I compare to the pretty ladies there. But I actually had one of those ladies tell me I inspired her! So you see, you never know what anyone is thinking - and the kicker? It doesn't matter! If they don't feel strongly enough to bring it up to your face, you'll never know! Next time you're at the gym or the high school weight room and someone's looking at you, imagine some crazy positive reason they're looking at you because that's just as likely to be true as any negative reason you come up with - and you'll feel better about yourself. Just some ranmbling thoughts.. hope there was something useful.
  • Fitnesspromiddleton
    Fitnesspromiddleton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I try to go when there are less people. I find 12pm to 4pm to be good and then after 7pm to close. The weekends after 3pm is good too. That 5pm -7pm is the worse. If your gym has classes don't go then because the gym will be crowded. People take classes and then workout in the gym area (at least where I go).

I would definitely go because most people are too busy looking in mirror at themselves to notice anyone else (lol).
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    This morning at my gym, most people were sitting on equipment (not using it) and talking to the next person,or checking messages on the phone. To busy to look t my fat body. I only started weights and gym 4 months ago- petrified the first time I went in.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Don't be afraid ! I know its intimidating at first but once you get used to the place , you'll be fine ! I bring my workout plan on my phone and flip through it the entire time. Its no problem. Once you get up the courage to go, you will realize there's nothing to be scared of !
    If I lived closer ,I would personally walk you in there ! It breaks my heart when people want to work out but are too nervous to try the gym. Just trust me that everything will be okay and you'll be happy you went.
    Just type out your workout plan into your phones memo pad and then refer back to it when needed .

THIIIIISSS!

It also makes me sad that I took so long to get into the gym due to this same anxiety.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    free gym membership, but I am so scared to go in to the gym and work out around people

Can't help much with this, other than to say nobody cares what anybody else is doing at the gym and will pay zero attention to you. Do what you need to do. If you want to be strong, you must do the work and the gym is the best place to do it.

Also, "free" gym membership = you're paying for it with your student fees. If you don't go, you're wasting it and being a sucker. Don't be a sucker, use it. Gym memberships are pretty expensive in the outside world.
    I also want to bring a workout in there but I just don't know how to make a good efficient workout.

There are a bunch of good beginner programs, stickied here and Reddit and exrx.net.

There are only six essential movements (a push and pull along three axis of movement (above head, in front of body, below body)). Cover those movements with a full effort, be consistent, and you're golden.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ask the gym workers when the slowest times generally are, and then start out at those times. Once you get more comfortable, go whenever you want!

Yes, this. I started out nervous to go to the gym and I really wish I'd gotten over it sooner, but I know it's a real thing.

Once you get into it you won't care, but I agree that going at a non-pressured time when you feel comfortable figuring stuff out is a good way to get into it.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Also, you could just show up and do some recon. A scouting mission. Get a sense of the layout and what's there and how the lockers work, and where the different kinds of weights are. And take pictures of the machines to look up later and figure out what they do (pro-tip: some are a lot more useful than others, some are just traps).
  • wanderingrat
    wanderingrat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There's already a bunch of great tips here. I can just agree with that. Don't be scared, no one really gives much of a damn why anyone else is there if they go to the gym to work out. Those that go to the gym oogling at other people, well... honestly, aren't they a little pitiable rather than scary? And if they feel as if they have to offend anyone there, they most likely do it because they're very much intimidated by that person's courage and commitment.

You are there to do some work, which is nothing to hide from. Beginners that turn up regularly are way more inspiring than the ones flexing in front of the mirror to me personally. It takes courage to commit to real work.
    The hardest part is accepting yourself the way you are now, which you're obviously not quite content with at the moment. But hey, you are there to change that!

Also, even at the university gym (at least here that's the case) the staff is there to give you a proper introduction to the machines and help you choose a program that fits you personally. Here those people often are sport students getting in practice and therfore it's a free service. They'll be happy to help you, especially if you don't know what to do just yet. (It would be boring to introduce someone who already knows everything, right?)

I'm pretty sure you can even make someone else happy and help them in return by going there, asking for help and then showing up regularly. How's that sound as an incentive?

And one thing that I know can be very helpful: Try finding a gym buddy. Some uni-sport websites have a place where you can ask for a gym-buddy and describe your ideas. It usually gets way easier when you're not alone.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think the advice above is great. I just want to encourage you to go!! No one is watching or judging you. We are ALL there because we want to improve and work on our bodies. People are actually quite helpful, in fact. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You're just as entitled to be there, as anyone else is.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I'm physically disabled and at the beginning, I felt self-conscious about being at the gym. Over time though, I learned not to care. I was there for my own health and fitness, and people that didn't like the way I looked, didn't have to look at me. I had some people actually come up to me and tell me they were impressed with me, that I was doing a good job. I don't think most people care if you are fat or thin at the gym. I think most think 'good for them for trying to get healthy".
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I just went to the gym for the first time ever yesterday. I have been petrified about going to due to some pretty intense social anxiety...My hubby and I went super early (4-5am) and there were only a few others there. I have to admit I had a lot of fun! There are soooo many amazing machines/tools at your fingertips :smiley: I personally LOVED the leg press!! :sweat_smile:
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared. Just pretend to be confident and go do what you want to do - the people at the gym are not your friends, coworkers, or family. No reason why their opinion should matter enough to stop you from pursuing your fitness! Before you know it, that confidence you're projecting will be real! (and yes, I give myself this speech on a regular basis when I'm about to do a new exercise, especially when I have no idea how to use the piece of equipment!)
  • CarlDeCatDaddy
    CarlDeCatDaddy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work out at The Monon Center in Carmel, IN. I got back in the gym about a year and a half back, when I was wearing out pretty fast. I will say this. When I see a large person at the gym, my own thoughts are never critical. I'm like "He's here." Which puts the person ahead of the norm and ahead of the curve.
    From my experience, both myself and the people around me appear to be far too focused on their own efforts and thoughts to worry about what anyone else is doing.
    As for what do to, just start with something. Maybe spring for some training sessions. But don't worry about what other people think. You know what they say: "Dance like nobody's watching. Because they aren't. They're all staring at their phones."
  • bbop10
    bbop10 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am overweight but not terrible, and I have lifted weights since high school, I recently decided to go back to University and get a free gym membership, but I am so scared to go in to the gym and work out around people. I also want to bring a workout in there but I just don't know how to make a good efficient workout.

I used to have the same concern because I lived in a small town and everywhere I went was like a mini high school reunion. My gym had old school mates and I was afraid they would see me and notice all the weight I gained since HS. I had to tell myself I wasn't there for them, I was there for me. Trust me, people are focused on their own workout, or at least they should be, and they are not so concerned about what others are doing. You can do it!! :smile:
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have this anxiety at first. I know it seems like people are watching or judging, but TBH I don't believe that to be the case. Everyone is focused on their own thing, I've never seen anyone look particularly worried or interested in what anyone else is doing. I can certainly say that I'm not interested in what anyone else is doing, unless they are using a machine I've never used and I'm curious as to how to use it. :)

You just have to get in there and start going. Do you have a friend that can go with you? If your anxiety is truly preventing you from being able to go to the gym at all, perhaps that is an issue that needs to be addressed with a doctor.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    lisaisso wrote: »
    You're just as entitled to be there, as anyone else is.

Yes. This. End of story.

I had to tell myself this over and over and over again until I believed it, but this one sentence is the absolute truth.