Blender/Food processor that can handle nuts

Options
debi_f
debi_f Posts: 330 Member
Hi all!

I'm looking for advice and recommendations. I absolutely love nut butters and made my own quite often for awhile. Until the nuts killed my blender. Granted, it was a cheap one, but I'm afraid to spend a lot of money on a "good" one just to kill it within weeks with the challenge of chopping nuts into butter.

Anyone know a good, sturdy brand that is available in the Netherlands? Or do you have any recommendations on what to look for when I compare different ones?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a Vitamix which can handle making nut butters. I don't know if it's available where you are.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have used my Nutribullet for almonds, cashews and hazelnuts. Works very well. Nut butters make up a large amount of my diet and I save a lot of money from making them myself.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    who's nuts?

Fav topic title of the day by the way.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I bought the Ninja blender although it is not a good as a Vitamix it is about $400 cheaper. Also I have the Ninja food processor which I use to make homemade almond flour.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I can second the Nutribullet from personal experience. I use it for all sorts of stuff, including nuts. My mom also has the Ninja and it's great as well.
  • debi_f
    Options
    who's nuts?

Fav topic title of the day by the way.

Ha ha ha! Oops! Guess I should have given that a bit more thought...

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I have replace my blender soon! I miss making nut butters...
  • StealthHealth
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Do people feel home-blended are better, or does anyone have information on the quality of home-blended 100% nut butters versus bought 100% nut butters?

I buy 100% peanut, peanut butters and I love them: Would I notice a difference in taste/quality or even nutrition if I bought peanuts and blended them myself?

Edited for clarity
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Do people feel home-blended are better, or does anyone have information on the quality of home-blended 100% nut butters versus bought 100% nut butters?

I buy 100% peanut, peanut butters and I love them: Would I notice a difference in taste/quality or even nutrition if I bought peanuts and blended them myself?

Edited for clarity

I prefer to make stuff myself. I get good quality nuts, make as much as I want and its cheaper this way. Also this way I know that the 100% almond butter is actually 100% almonds and thats it.

Good points: Thanks
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Ninja! I have the NutriNinja and throw in whole almonds into a smoothie and have had no problems.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    You can also use a coffee bean grinder to chop the nuts.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks all!

As for the homemade vs. bought... I like mixing the nuts and sometimes adding other things. One of my favorites includes macademias, pistachios and brasil nuts with a touch of honey. Yum!
  • debi_f
    Options
    I like the look of the Ninje, too, but i could't find it over here.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The vitamix is cheaper in the long run because it doesn't need to be replaced often.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I have a Ninja Pro. It grinds coffee beans well. Haven't tried to make nut butters but I think it would.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    I have a Ninja as well, a little different than the one linked above. It is quite good although I have never tried to make nut butter with it.
  • debi_f
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    debi_f wrote: »
    I like the look of the Ninje, too, but i could't find it over here.

Amazon... what ever country you are in.

They won't ship electronics overseas, and the power cord is incompatible. The US uses 110, and we have 220 amp/watt/whatever the units are called.

I searched the Dutch sites and couldn't find any kind of blender called a ninja. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not available in some way/shape/form, but i couldn't find it.

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Get one from Amazon.co.uk and use a travel adapter.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Cuisinart Food Processors are available in the Netherlands. They can handle anything, and last for ages. I've had mine 10+ years, my mother-in-law has had hers over 30 years. They're very versatile, too. I use it all the time for everything from chopping veg & grating cheese to making pie crusts and mayo.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Ooo! I just found the ninja on the German Amazon site... But the basic version (with no attachments) costs 114 euros!! (That's $126 according to today's exchange rate.

Afraid that's out of my current price range. :-(