What do you typically eat for a 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My goal is 1200 too I'm 5ft and 9 stone, never feel like I have enough energy through out the day
    Can anyone suggest good energy boosting detox drinks???

You most likely have your weightloss goals set far too aggressively. Drop it 1/2 pound loss per week. It takes us shorties a little longer to lose, but no reason to starve yourself doing it. Detox anything is a sham. Our bodies detox all on their own.
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'd be very sad. I sure hope you're eating back exercise calories.

But it would have to be

300 calories for breakfast (so probably some steel cut oats cooked in almond milk with some protein powder and PB2 or a couple sliced almonds - or some overnight oats made with Greek yogurt and steel cut oats, and fruit - or 2 eggs with refried beans - or a breakfast burrito on low carb tortilla).

Then basically some lean protein with veggies for lunch and dinner, with some Greek yogurt with fruit as a snack (or nuts and fruit, or cheese and fruit).

But just nope. I've never eaten less than 1650 calories and I lost 80 pounds.

You go girl!! How long did it take you? How active were you? Congrats
  • sabrina_dolce
    sabrina_dolce Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I'm starting to love working out. Never thought I'd be able to say that and mean it! Lol. It's also a bonus that I can eat a bit more because of my workouts !
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

I lost the first 65# eatin roughly 1650 calories (not including exercise)....then that slowed to a crawl (.25# a week roughly) for 2 months so i dropped my cals to 1350. Its not that bad, honestly. I dont have any trouble, and im not constantly hungry.

May I ask how long it took you to lose 65#?

@endlessfall16
    10 months (1.5# a week approx). I started january 2015 at 236# and was 171 at the end of october 2015. Then my weightloss slowed to a crawl in nov and dec... jan 1 2016 I was 169. After dropping to 1350 cals, I am losing about 1# a week and am down to 163...72# total! I do eat back half of any exercise calories too.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I made some delicious almond crusted chicken breasts for dinner last night. A beautiful beetroot and apple soup and some grilled baby marrow were the accompaniments. It was bobotie, which is a Cape Malay dish, the night before. Add me if you want to get some recipe ideas ;)
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a shorty so eat around 1200.
    I don't really do breakfast just coffee and if I'm really hungry crackers and rice cakes with cottage cheese.
    Lunch is usually a wrap with salad , light cream cheese or hoummus and protein.
    Dinner is what everyone else is eating unless I have leftovers and in a smaller portion . I always try to log an evening snack as I know I will want a cookie
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

I lost the first 65# eatin roughly 1650 calories (not including exercise)....then that slowed to a crawl (.25# a week roughly) for 2 months so i dropped my cals to 1350. Its not that bad, honestly. I dont have any trouble, and im not constantly hungry.

May I ask how long it took you to lose 65#?

@endlessfall16
    10 months (1.5# a week approx). I started january 2015 at 236# and was 171 at the end of october 2015. Then my weightloss slowed to a crawl in nov and dec... jan 1 2016 I was 169. After dropping to 1350 cals, I am losing about 1# a week and am down to 163...72# total! I do eat back half of any exercise calories too.

Thanks. I wanted to know to get an understanding for my situation.
  • brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My meals vary. For breakfast I will have egg whites and turkey sausage or steel cut oats with egg whites and truvia. Some days I will make a protein shake with almond milk and chia seeds added.
    Lunch is usually left overs from dinner being a protein and veggies.
    Dinner is either chicken breast, ground turkey, or a pork chop with a veggie (peas, broccoli, corn, asparagus, green beans, sweet potato) and a salad.
    We like chicken or ground turkey tacos. I tend to like more calories at night so dinner is where if I'm craving something I make it fit.
    Snacks: hummus and carrots, yogurt, rice cakes, little cheese packets
  • suzynam
    suzynam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    for breakfast i'll often have yogurt with fruit and some nuts, or oatmeal. that's less than 200 calories and feels pretty satisfying to me.

lunches vary but often involve lots of legumes and vegetables in one form or another (such as curried chickpeas with cauliflower, or black bean stew). sometimes i'll have a quinoa salad with beans, vegetables and nuts mixed in. dinner is often similar but i add wine.

lunches and dinners always involve lots of veggies, it keeps it interesting for me and also fills me up.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm on around 1200 a day at 5ft tall and 42 years young. Yesterday I had a chocolate flavoured yoghurt and cereal bar for breakfast - 274 cals, lunch was 1 slice wholemeal bread toasted, 10g spreadable butter, 25g light herb spreadable cheese and 5 slices of light ham (47g) for a total of 247 cals, dinner was spaghetti with tomato sauce, pickled gherkin stick, onion and chive twist, homemade egg mayonnaise sandwich (half a slice of white bread) which came to a total of 525 cals. I weigh and measure pretty much everything. Add in 200ml for my coffee and 4 sugar free hard boiled sweets as snacks and my daily gross total was 1170 calories and net was 667. Today I'm looking at 1212 calories. I eat what I like pretty much but its portion size that counts so weighing is great rather than 'eye'stimating portions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I eat 800-1200 calories on my fast days (I do alternate day fasting). The key is to focus on the amount of protein and fiber in your meals. Fiber tends to hang around high volume items like vegetables, so that's a plus. Lots of hearty stews and tea for me on these days.

When I'm out of ideas I just generate a single day meal plan using https://www.eatthismuch.com/ (the free version is sufficient, you can regenerate your plan every day however many times you wish)
  • gita1988
    gita1988 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm eating about 1100-1200 cals per day.
    My daily breakfast consist of oatmeal with 4 g sugar; banana for snack. For lunch I usually have about 200g tomatoes cooked with chickpeas, lentils, sweet potatoe, brown rice or pasta. Sometimes chicken fillet or salmon with tomatoe, cucumber. Banana for 2nd snack again.
    Dinner is less heavy - usually greek yogurt with cinnamon and 12 g honey or vegetable soup. I snack with chocolate and chips too, but try not going over 1200 cal.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and I manage to never be hungry and also most of the days squeeze in a little treat :)

So a day example...

Breakfast: 30 g cereal with 1.25 dl of 1.5% milk... about 170 kcal

Lunch: Rye bread 55-58 g bun with Philadelphia cream cheese (about 23g), turkey ham (20 g), sliced cucumber and sliced hard boiled egg... about 300 kcal ; or a tuna sandwich with about 230 kcal.

Dinner: I cook everyday and make all sorts of stuff, i just calculate m 'dose' of whatever I make and its anything from 300 to about 600ish kcal. I make Chicken fajita tubs...about 450 kcal for 2, Sheppard pie 350 per serving, Lean pork steaks with broccoli about 350 as well... some higher in calories would be Salmon in cream with mashed potatoes...about 600, roasted meat with butter potatoes also 600... lasagna serving about 500.

Depending on how heavy dinner is in kcal I will/will not choose to drink a glass of coke (hate diet one :D ) or have a small dessert (currently treating myself with single packed Kinder chocolate 12.5 g and 70 kcal - just a litte sweet and makes my day nicer :D )

Snack: in evening again if i had bigger dinner I will only have a yogurt (112 kcal) or a glass of chocolate milk or if my dinner was smaller some cottage cheese with smetana, rye bread and turkey ham, cucumber, and maybe hard boiled egg sliced...that is also around 300.

So average day 170+300+350-600+100-300... I'm just at 1200 since i modify dinner and evening snack accordingly.

That is just an example. I hope it helps.

I usually keep my diary private (keeps me honest to myself) but I will open it for a couple of hours if someone wants to take a look :)

Also to mention i'm 27 years old 5'2 and 139-140 lbs. have been losing steady 1lbs a week last 8 weeks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'd be very sad. I sure hope you're eating back exercise calories.

But it would have to be

300 calories for breakfast (so probably some steel cut oats cooked in almond milk with some protein powder and PB2 or a couple sliced almonds - or some overnight oats made with Greek yogurt and steel cut oats, and fruit - or 2 eggs with refried beans - or a breakfast burrito on low carb tortilla).

Then basically some lean protein with veggies for lunch and dinner, with some Greek yogurt with fruit as a snack (or nuts and fruit, or cheese and fruit).

But just nope. I've never eaten less than 1650 calories and I lost 80 pounds.

You go girl!! How long did it take you? How active were you? Congrats

A year to lose 73 pounds (from 213 to 140. I'm 5'5"). Then 6 months to lose 7 more. My activity increased a lot, from 10-30 minutes of home workouts a day to 10,000 steps of walking a day, and I did BodyPump classes/videos and some strength training too too. Pretty much ate around 1650-1700 the whole time (not eating back exercise calories).
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 a day, and eat back my exercise calories - usually anywhere from 100-500 on any given day. My weekday breakfasts are hard boiled eggs, with the yolk removed and the eggs are restuffed with either salsa or sometimes chopped ham. I throw my coffee and some sugar free creamer and I'm full until late morning. I have 1/2 c light greek yogurt with some granola, or right now it's 20 g of cracklin oat bran on top (I LOVE THAT STUFF). Lunch is usually a smallish portion of leftovers, or a wrap with some popcorn or nuts, fruit and tea. Supper is usually a protein (pork chop, steak, burger, whatev), and steamed veggies with a starch. If I have the cals left, I'll have a serving of ice cream or a beer afterwards. I don't feel deprived, even on days that I skip a workout and only eat the 1200.
  • kf1834
    kf1834 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the ones who prefers no snacks and water only...I feel better if I can eat real food for meals!
    Breakfast: plain oatmeal or sometimes veggie egg white on an flatbread or English muffin. Around 200-300 calories
    Lunch: Low sodium soup with a salad (not too much dressing) or a hummus or turkey sandwich with flat bread and lots of veggies, maybe fruit. Around 300-400 calories
    Dinner: whatever the family is eating. I have to pick small portions if it is pasta or we're going out to eat, but going light on the first 2 meals and not snacking or drinking any calories means the meal can be 500-600 calories and I can just enjoy myself.
  • lindsaymbirch
    lindsaymbirch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, I eat 1250-1350 a day with a decent amount of variety built in. Clean eating with some treats :)
  • gsdgsd
    gsdgsd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a unique perspective; for breakfast I have three eggs whites and one whole egg mixed with whipped onion and chives cream cheese--that is well under 200 cal. For lunch I usually eat fruit, and for dinner a lean protein with a vegetable. This allows some snacking at night which I truly enjoy :-).

• kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you want to add me as a friend. Though, you might have to go back awhile, I've earned a bunch of exercise calories recently. I'm at 1440 a day, but, if you get rid of my wine in the evening and the small bowl of pretzels I'm at 1200. I made a mexican turkey frittata, and I've been eating that for breakfast. Lunch is often salmon and a sweet potato. Dinner is whatever. I don't eat much bread/pasta. So, I can have a decent dinner when it's mainly made up of vegetables and meat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Need help with some meal plans Anyone wish to share. I'm a 1200 cal / day

Unless you're short, 1200 calories will create too aggressive a calorie deficit.