Anyone eat what they want and manage to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    zerojunk wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Hell no I can't, I mean in theory, I could. I am one of those fit fat guys with all their fat around their belly. I used to think who cares if I'm 250, I'm in better shape then most thin people and I get to eat as much as I want. Then I read one of those studies saying you're worse off then people with fat on their legs and arms etc and now I'm cutting the fat right off me. It never made sense to me that you could be better off with the same fat I have plus more on top of it in other areas but I am not messing around when it comes to possible early death. Gonna play it safe and just drop the weight.

Viseral fat is not a good thing but that doesn't mean you can't eat what you want you just have to eat it in moderation and stay in goal.

I understand the theory, but I can't do it without huge risk of going above my goal. Gonna go with ol faithful and not break my no junk programming lol.

unfortunately a lot of folks try this and fail due to the restrictiveness of it...hence the 80/20 rule I follow...

80% is "healthy" foods 20% is stuff people would consider not so great...

I have tried the no junk and always always end up falling off the wagon.

Good luck to you tho.
  • zerojunk
    zerojunk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is my second time losing weight and last time it was zero junk too..... Worked just fine until I got with a bigger girl with a great face and she kept pushing the crap on me cause it made her feel bad that I wouldn't have any at all. So axe the junk and girls who eat it is my motto this time around. Nothing but CIA/NSA black ops girls who are gymnasts this time around lol. Maybe FBI if they are on top of things.
  • murlandpierre2016
    murlandpierre2016 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do eat what I want but I also exercise daily and I take super colon cleanse. I try not to eat anything heavy after 7pm. I portion my food and I either drink water or seltzer water.
    So far I lost 4.4 lbs.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I do eat what I want but I also exercise daily and I take super colon cleanse. I try not to eat anything heavy after 7pm. I portion my food and I either drink water or seltzer water.
    So far I lost 4.4 lbs.

Just a warning. Abusing laxatives can cause lot of issues including not being able to go without using them and electrolyte imbalances (which can lead to some serious consequences like cardiac arrest). All they do is get rid of fecal matter and tons of fluid. They don't make you lose fat.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I practice 80/20 thinking too. And I'm not terribly good at. Let's say my 80/20 is probably closer to 66.66/33.33... Hahaha! The issue for me comes down to adequate nutrition. When I'm going to stay within my calorie range, I know I'll be miserable & prone to cravings if I haven't gotten the proper nutrients. So at least 2/3s of what I eat needs to contribute toward that each day. I don't sweat the other stuff. I just aim for my weekly deficit goal. And I've learned to avoid the things that feel no bueno after ingesting them. But overall I've lost over 25 lbs this way at about a pound a week. Now that I'm 20 lbs off goal half a pound a week seems to be my pace. I haven't suffered. But I'm always thinking 2 or 3 meals ahead and I do a lot of pre logging to make it all work.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    So far I lost 4.4 lbs.

What is the super colon cleanse and what's the purpose of it? If it's about emptying the colon - you know that it fills up again after you eat, do you? Timing of meals doesn't have an impact on your weight, but a structure that fits well with your schedule will make it easier for you to stick to the appropriate calorie intake (which is what controls your weight).
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Anything is POSSIBLE, but is it practical? No for most people.

For me the places that I like to eat at regularly serve portions and types of food that I cannot begin to guess the calorie amount.

It's like buying whatever you want using credit card with payments that you are not sure you can make, it's just a matter of time before you become overwhelmed.
  • zerojunk
    Options
    Anything is POSSIBLE, but is it practical? No for most people.

For me the places that I like to eat at regularly serve portions and types of food that I cannot begin to guess the calorie amount.

It's like buying whatever you want using credit card with payments that you are not sure you can make, it's just a matter of time before you become overwhelmed.

Maybe someone is casting curses on you to fail so they don't sound like they were wrong when saying you're going to fail, give em a nice heart attack curse and choose your own course. lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I LIKE everything I eat. I don't eat pizza and pastries all the time, but I find ways to incorporate them into my diet and am able to lose/maintain. It is really not the basis of my diet though, because I would be hungry if I ate such calorie dense food all the time and would not meet my nutritional needs. Find balance.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Says it all in the title really but I know so many people that literally eat what they want and still manage to stay at a decent weight and not put any on. Is it possible to not diet and still indulge in what you want with an exercise plan put in place? X

I took this to mean anything you want and as much as you want as long as you exercise.

I know someone who seems to be able to do this. It turns out, though, that they self-limit their intake without thinking about it. If they have a pig out meal one night, the next day they just have no appetite. It evens out to be the appropriate amount of food on average.

On the exercise side, they just naturally can't sit still. You never see them relax with a book. Their hobbies are active. This guy could surf everyday all day long and forget to eat. So yes this guy seems to eat big and drink big and never get fat.

My inclinations are nothing like this, so I eat any food (or food like thing) that I want, but I have to limit the quantity and force myself to exercise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Says it all in the title really but I know so many people that literally eat what they want and still manage to stay at a decent weight and not put any on. Is it possible to not diet and still indulge in what you want with an exercise plan put in place? X

If you are already overweight just increasing exercise is not likely to work that well.

Understanding how much you are eating and taking steps to reduce that usually works much better and is part of the learning process.

I find that when I am reasonably active and pay some attention to how much I eat (and eat a reasonably healthy diet, as for me that's more filling), I don't have to count calories to maintain my weight and can mostly eat as much as I want. (It also helps if I train myself to eat only at mealtimes, as I find it really easy to overeat if I eat throughout the day.)

I'm interpreting your post as about dieting or not, and not about whether you can include all foods in your diet in some amount.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Food types - hell yes

Amounts - hell no

Look none of us got here by doing the right thing - we all have to adjust

Do you have to cut out specific foods or food groups - hell to the no

Do you have to cut out excess calories - yup

How do you do that? Up to you

For me I adjusted slowly what I ate - always with an eye on calories

Basically if you can't afford it out of your calories you can't have it

If you want it you find a way to adjust the other calories you're eating to eat it

the trade off is going hungry at another time - or changing another meal to a lower calorie hit

The trick is always hitting your nutritional requirements and eye on the calorie purse

if you've got the calories you can spend them - if you don't you can't borrow them from the future - you can save some to spend later in the week though

not rocket science once you think of it as a calorie purse

This exactly. Im down 72#, and have always included fast food and candy into my diet.....just not as frequently and in the same amounts as I used to. I imagine it will get easier it maintenance to fit in a bit more....but Im still 15-20# away.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm not a heavy eater, so didn't have to cut back. I do 60 mins of cardio 5 days a week, burning about 600 extra calories. lost 30 lbs and keeping it off. started this about 2 1/2 years ago.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I got frustrated trying to stick to recommended macros so I stopped
    I eat healthily just as I get more food for my calories but I have treats every day life's too short to starve & this is a lifestyle change not a eat lettuce and yoyo DIET
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This is my second time losing weight and last time it was zero junk too..... Worked just fine until I got with a bigger girl with a great face and she kept pushing the crap on me cause it made her feel bad that I wouldn't have any at all. So axe the junk and girls who eat it is my motto this time around. Nothing but CIA/NSA black ops girls who are gymnasts this time around lol. Maybe FBI if they are on top of things.

So you are going to the tried and true method for weight loss but not keeping it off....okayyyyy...

POster above nailed it...if you want to lose weight great cut out "junk" but if you want to lose and maintain the weight you have to include all foods you plan on eating at maintenance while losing or you will fail at the maintenance part...

and please don't blame your girl for what you put in your mouth...you could have said no thx but you didn't want to...
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely do! I've lost about 4 lbs since Jan. too :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, all food is on the table. How much has drastically changed, and I count everything, sneaky snacking included. I rarely eat fries with my fast food, choosing a salad instead (and a fry or two snuck from hubby's pack).
  • zerojunk
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

So you are going to the tried and true method for weight loss but not keeping it off....okayyyyy...

POster above nailed it...if you want to lose weight great cut out "junk" but if you want to lose and maintain the weight you have to include all foods you plan on eating at maintenance while losing or you will fail at the maintenance part...

and please don't blame your girl for what you put in your mouth...you could have said no thx but you didn't want to...

I'm gonna stay close to silent on this one. Let's see where this ends up.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@kayleexbabeex I did stop dieting after 40 years because my weight just yo yo'ed higher and higher. While I now eat all I want I did have to 'change' my wants to be able to do that. After 18 months of low carb high fat way of eating it is working well per my lab tests, pain level and am no longer obese. More important I 'love' this way of eating. Never going hungry and having no cravings controlling me is awesome.

We are all different but I am sure you will find a Way of Eating that works for you. It does not matter what works for others it has to work for you if you are going to stick with it for long term health.