Help alert! How much protein do I take?

Hello workout buff guys here!
I just started weight training.
I'm currently 55kg(121lb). I know the amount of recommended protein is Weight x 1.5 which is 145lb. But I want to get muscle.
I am wondering how much I do take protein a day while doing weight training.

thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Anywhere north of 50 grams is probably adequate. The 1.5 g/lb is a brotein number from the weight lifting world but seems rather over the top for you.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    You're getting too much. Figure out your lean body mass, and multiply by 1. That is your max protein needed\ on a heavy lift day. Other days multiply LBM by .8
  • snow_lee
    snow_lee Posts: 6 Member
    Wow awesome. I would have taken a wrong mount of protein without your comment. Thank you so much! :smiley:
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    50g seems really low for someone who is doing weight training, that is not much above the RDA minimum for a completely sedentary person. I would go with something closer to 80g. Maybe some others with strength training experience can chime in?
  • snow_lee
    snow_lee Posts: 6 Member
    50g seems really low for someone who is doing weight training, that is not much above the RDA minimum for a completely sedentary person. I would go with something closer to 80g. Maybe some others with strength training experience can chime in?
    Aha. got it. I'll try what you recommend. Thanks!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Anywhere north of 50 grams is probably adequate. The 1.5 g/lb is a brotein number from the weight lifting world but seems rather over the top for you.

I think 50 maybe a bit low but definitely agree with 1.5 being more a brotein number and unneccessary.

Just remember OP the protein is there to help support muscle repair and growth. The weight training is providing the adaptive stimulus. The protein isn't going to do much if you aren't consistently lifting more weight.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2016
    Most protein calcs are .6-.8 g per lb. at 122-124 that puts me just under 100g protein per day. Hard for me to get but am doing much better. Use shake in skim milk that about evens out workout. Is fine as am in maintenance. Am losing fat and gaining muscle on that.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    1.5 gram per pound is higher than necessary.
    That said, 50 grams is inadequate for weight training and muscle building.
    Anywhere from .8-1.2 grams per pound and you'll be fine.

Also, aim for a slight caloric surplus if your goal is adding muscle.