Why am I not losing weight anymore ☹

Options

Replies

• Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    shaunjadon wrote: »
    As a person who was on this very forum asking the same question, my biggest advice for you is to trust in the process!!! We all want to the instant gratification of the scale numbers dropping, but unfortunately that is not always the case especially as we move past the first few weeks of our lifestyle change. Losing weight is noted as being 20% exercise and 80% diet, but I have learned its 100% mental. I'm entering my third month of change and I'm slowly weaning myself away from the scale. Look for gratification in other things besides the "dropping sizes" or dropping weight dramatically. I feel like focusing on those things really is a deterrent because weight loss is bound to slow down and plateaus will happen. Be positive. Find your gratification elsewhere. When I stopped focusing on weight loss so heavily, I started to see other changes towards a healthier me. I wear my fitbit religiously and my resting heart rate has dropped from the low 90s to the low 70s in the last few months. I haven't consumed a soda in months and I used to HATE water but its the only thing I drink now. I feel full and satisfied eating 1200-1300 calories per day. My fitness level has definitely improved and I've set goals for myself to progress even further. The weight loss will happen!!! Constantly standing on a scale is like always looking at a clock, if you pay too much attention to it, it will seem likes its taking forever to change!!!! This healthy lifestyle will eventually become second nature. Utilize your tools (food scale, calorie counter, etc) and one day you'll look at yourself and say "WOW is that me?" It may be at 30lbs or it may be at 75lbs....again TRUST IN THE PROCESS!!

Thank you! Great advice.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you need to be patient. You also need to "prepare yourself for the long haul" as one person said. This is a long, slow, steady process. It is not good to lose fast, for your body or your viewpoint. You need time to adjust and make the lasting changes that you can stick with. And no matter how much you lose, losing will not "fix" you. I have lost a lot of weight with MFP and I feel better in many, many ways, but I had to learn to love myself before I lost the weight. And even with all my counselling, body loathing was still something I struggled with. I loved myself but I wouldn't "allow" myself to be kind to myself. Only now, after trying for so long, have I reached a point where losing feels good--not like a punishment, or a deprivation. It feels natural and good. You can get to this point, but it will take time and a whole lot of loving yourself.
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you need to be patient. You also need to "prepare yourself for the long haul" as one person said. This is a long, slow, steady process. It is not good to lose fast, for your body or your viewpoint. You need time to adjust and make the lasting changes that you can stick with. And no matter how much you lose, losing will not "fix" you. I have lost a lot of weight with MFP and I feel better in many, many ways, but I had to learn to love myself before I lost the weight. And even with all my counselling, body loathing was still something I struggled with. I loved myself but I wouldn't "allow" myself to be kind to myself. Only now, after trying for so long, have I reached a point where losing feels good--not like a punishment, or a deprivation. It feels natural and good. You can get to this point, but it will take time and a whole lot of loving yourself.

Thank you very much. I agree with everything you said. I really to work on loving myself completely.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes this helps to count the calories but nutrisystem provides the calorie counted food like my dinner is 200 lunch is 210 snack 55 0r 70 breakfast 200 plus protein bars

that's about 700 calories, why would you do that to yourself?!

Most days, my dinner is 700 calories.
  • soniaf
    soniaf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue TBH but I LOVE trend weight, it really helps iron out the bumps and see progress through the ups and downs that can derail my motivation.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Thank you very much. I agree with everything you said. I really to work on loving myself completely.

I'm glad you are thinking along those lines. Loving yourself, loving what you have. These are key. And keep in touch with folks on MFP. A lot of people have done this a long time, some very successfully. And don't listen to everybody because it will only confuse you. But when you hear something that clicks, sit with it a while and then move forward.
  • CreoleRose
    CreoleRose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Queenliz--FABULOUS chart. Thanks!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself less often if fluctuations throw you. I found my best timing was every other week so I showed more consistency in losing. The up and down part of everyday was frustrating and discouraging. By not focusing on that every day, I was able to concentrate on changing lifestyle forever so I didn't have to do the weight loss routine again.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the points above:
    - weigh your food if you're not already
    - Make sure your logging is tight (everything that goes in your mouth goes in your log)
    - Keep on doing what you're doing - weight often comes off in fits and spurts (I lost nothing last week and 5lbs this week courtesy of TOM)
    - Keep your mental viewpoint strong- if you stay focused and determined you'll succeed
    - If, after three weeks, the scale still isn't moving you could try reducing your calorie intake by 100 cals per day (or increase your exercise by a similar amount)- repeat until the scale starts moving again.
    - Also consider using a trendweight app (I use Happy Scale) to see what your weight is doing over time.

Good luck!
  • Maebell1975
    Maebell1975 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My daughter has ran into the same problem but they believe it is due to her birth control. I had the same issue last year and a dr told me to change up my routine. I was walking 3 miles a day. He told me to change it up a couple times a week. He said to turn the music up and dance like a kid again.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Try measuring yourself and seeing if there is a change.
  • JLove115
    JLove115 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I take pictures, that is where I can really see a difference when my weight slows down.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    After the first few weeks, the rate of loss will slow down. My rate of loss usually follows a pattern of: 1 week big loss, 1 week small gain, 1 week small loss, 1 week stay even. Stay the course, and as long as the general trend is down, it is good news!

If you have 4-6 weeks with no loss, I would tighten up your logging (weigh & measure everything with verified entries) and verify your exercise calories are accurate.
  • shannonmelek
    shannonmelek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Maybe try changing up your exercise routine. Your body gets use to the same the same thing over and over.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My body doesn't lose on 1400 cal a day I would also gain. I only lose when I eat 1200 to 1300 cal a day. That's it. That's what my body requires.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    FGTisme wrote: »
    After the first few weeks, the rate of loss will slow down. My rate of loss usually follows a pattern of: 1 week big loss, 1 week small gain, 1 week small loss, 1 week stay even. Stay the course, and as long as the general trend is down, it is good news!

If you have 4-6 weeks with no loss, I would tighten up your logging (weigh & measure everything with verified entries) and verify your exercise calories are accurate.

Glad someone else has this same pattern! This is me. Big loss, small loss, sts and then small gain. I just have to remind myself not to get downhearted when I gain. x
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes this helps to count the calories but nutrisystem provides the calorie counted food like my dinner is 200 lunch is 210 snack 55 0r 70 breakfast 200 plus protein bars

That's not complete. It' breakfast, lunch, dinner plus dessert and snacks I believe. You have to provide fresh produce. It's a total of six meals a day.
  • murlandpierre2016
    murlandpierre2016 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem... I'm 6 weeks into my lifestyle change, but I've plateaued for two weeks now. Being patient isn't something I'm very good with, so I bought a food scale at the beginning of the week ($12 on Amazon) and I discovered that I was seriously underestimating some of my cals. For example, I logged a small sweet potato as 5oz when really it was 10oz! That's a 121 cal difference, which can definitely add up. I'm not sure if it's what caused the plateau or not, but it helps that I feel like I'm doing something different. Good luck!

I never thought about that, thanks!
  • JLove115
    JLove115 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Exercise is key as well
  • lindsaymbirch
    lindsaymbirch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are normal. Sometimes changing a simple variable will confuse the body and start it back up. Try doing a different exercise every other day, try dropping off 100-200 calories more on a rest day. Variation is great!