Hunger hurts

Options
My hunger is at times a real issue. It affects my ability to work and my mood. It sometimes causes a physical pain in my gut. Sometimes I am a bit shaky.

I'm looking for solutions. I may try fasting. I already limit carbs.

Replies

• LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful if you made your food diary available for everyone to see. It may be that you're staying in your calorie goals, but need food that's more filling (protein, fiber, etc.).

I get that sort of hunger on occasion, but it's usually because I get busy and forget to eat - it's not a regular occurrence. It shouldn't be happening on a regular basis.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are your height and weight and current calorie goal?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My hunger is at times a real issue. It affects my ability to work and my mood. It sometimes causes a physical pain in my gut. Sometimes I am a bit shaky.

How many calories are you eating per day? Why do you think fasting will help curb hunger?
  • holly23cali
    holly23cali Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you tried maybe searching pinterest for low card healthy snacks? Might help. I keep a little cutie or grapes or nuts on me at all times. I also have a toddler so snacks must be avail. Haha

Also, i dont know how your weight loss is going but sometimes your body will go into starvation mode if you are hungry all the time and it will hold on to the calories and fat you are eating. So if you are experiencing a stagnant time, might be the issue.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

What is your daily goal? MFP's default minimum for men is 1500 (before exercise). Are you eating at least that much?

Sometimes it's a matter of figuring out your meal timing, and getting the right combination of filling foods. This varies by individual, but protein, fat and fiber are satiating. Some people can stay full on fat free protein, but that doesn't work well for me. Play around with meal times. Include a nourishing snack here and there. My snacks always include a combination of 2 things (fiber and/or fat and/or protein).

Limiting carbs isn't necessary unless you have medical issues. But some people have success that way. For me it's lifestyle changes all the way. I've lost weight and regained. My reduced calories "mimics" what I will eat after goal....its all about portions for me.

Make sure you are drinking enough water too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Have you tried maybe searching pinterest for low card healthy snacks? Might help. I keep a little cutie or grapes or nuts on me at all times. I also have a toddler so snacks must be avail. Haha

Also, i dont know how your weight loss is going but sometimes your body will go into starvation mode if you are hungry all the time and it will hold on to the calories and fat you are eating. So if you are experiencing a stagnant time, might be the issue.

Starvation mode myth:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again

Cuties and grapes aren't low carb.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    If you're so hungry your stomach is aching, eat. If it happens often, research foods that take longer to digest and eat those.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

You're hungry, so you're going to eat... less? This makes no sense.

What is your current height and weight? Goal weight? Can you open your food diary so some people can take a look and offer suggestions?
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have not looked at your diary, so I am just throwing this out there. If it does not apply, ignore it.

This could be the difference between feeling empty and bring hungry. Seriously, we have come to eat just about anytime we feel the slightest discomfort. You cut back on quantity and times per day, your body is not use to the change and it lets you know it is not amused. I did a three day water fast to reset my immune system and re-discovered the difference between my stomach complaints about not having food, being empty and being truly hungry. Putting it all in prespective really changes things.

Also while the CICO may all be equal, nutrition is not. 1200 cal of nutrient dense food and 1200 cal of non-nutrient dense food look very different. Not only that, they act differently in your body. Could you body be asking for nutrient dense food?