What do you consider a "good" workout?

Options
What are your criteria to consider a workout a "good" workout? For me, I feel like I have to really push myself to feel like I got the most out of my workout. If I'm not sweating like crazy and my muscles don't feel tired, I consider it merely an okay workout.
Just curious how you guys rank your workouts.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    One where I lift more that I did last work out.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    To me a good workout is getting through everything on my program for that day. i dont have to be sore or tired or sweaty, i just have to get through all the movements for the day and give it my 100% effort.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Any workout where I did my best to do what I planned to do. On Saturday I did my routine and was gunning for 3x5x287.5lb squat and only got 5x4x4. It was still a good workout.

How much I'm sweating has little to do with it as I workout in my garage and if I broke a sweat in 5F weather it would be amazing.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I can feel it when I get out of the pool---I just feel like I've done my max. It's not easy to describe.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For me its the amount of time plus my sweatiness and tiredness. The workout has to be at least 45 minutes and I need to feel like I've pushed myself to my max and got really sweaty. Otherwise, it just doesn't feel like I did enough.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think if you have made an effort to get off the sofa, it's a "good" thing. Whether it's a walk around the neighborhood, or you're powerlifting record weight. Everyone starts somewhere, and everyone should see the good in their effort!
  • Thisiscaitlin
    Thisiscaitlin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like this question, I feel good after workouts. Just not all of the time, sometimes I think "You didn't get tired enough" or "you aren't exhausted, so it must of not been that great." Recently I have been trying to teach myself that my workout doesn't need to be compared to everyone. Realizing that I am doing more just by walking around the block then I would have done not trying at all.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If I feel good at the end, tired and relaxed and feel like I've stopped thinking, that's a good workout.
  • Kie_Hughes
    Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    When i train to failure and I struggle getting them last few reps out. That to me is a good workout
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    If I feel good at the end, tired and relaxed and feel like I've stopped thinking, that's a good workout.

That's an excellent description. I agree.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have advanced one thing: be it weight on an exercise, reps if keeping weight the same, level or distance on the bike (Cardio). Of course things can affect that day. I am not going to expect that I accomplish that goal for each exercise.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    When after leg day I can barely make it back up the stairs at the gym. Or after upper body I can't lift my arms over my head to fix my hair and my arms are all "noodly" as I'm trying to drive out of the parking lot.

Clearly, I mean just short-term muscle fatigue and not pushing to the point of injury.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Every workout is a good workout, but my favorites are when I push myself a little harder than the time before and I am able to get through it.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    When I complete my programmed reps and sets. Simple as that.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    One that builds on previous work done and serves to lay groundwork for the sessions to come.
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Finishing everything I planned to do is a big one, but I agree, when I feel so tired afterwards that I can't think and am not worried about anything, that's a good workout.

Since getting my FitBit, I also aim to burn 400+ calories. It's an arbitrary number, but I find that if I don't hit it, I feel disappointed in myself, like I didn't work as hard as I could have.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Making some sort of progress from the previous like for like session with minimal stopping.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    When I complete my programmed reps and sets. Simple as that.

This
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    any
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Whatever challenges me