Help, what a good dinner looks like?

Options
I am new to all dieting plans, i am 21, i should lose 18 kg, can someone tell me what should i dine? Like what kinds of food, quantity.....?
And i know, i should dine early, so i will dine at 6:30 pm

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you dine. I eat after 9 most nights.

People will say it doesn't matter what you eat either, depends on what you like, your overall calories, and what you eat at other meals, and that's true.

That said, what I like to eat is some sort of protein (meat/fish or rice and beans or tofu or eggs) plus lots of vegetables. Then I flesh out the meal depending on what I'm in the mood for and how many calories I want. I usually have some sort of starch (pasta -- then I make the meat and vegetables into a sauce), rice (stir fry), potatoes or sweet potatoes or lentils, and then maybe something else if I am low on calories, like some avocado or fruit or dairy or a little cheese or some olives on the pasta or on salad if I made one. It really depends.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    giant plate of non starchy vegetables with a drizzle of olive oil, one serving lean grilled meat meat, one serving of a whole grain, Some fruit for dessert
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what others have said, but most of my dinners are roasted vegetables (any sort, laid out on a baking sheet, drizzled with EVOO and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder - my fav!), and then I cook a chicken breast or fish filet on another oven rack. Sometimes I'll do some rice or quinoa with it. It's easy, healthy, filling, and relatively inexpensive. I buy frozen veggies, which I find are much less expensive than fresh (and last longer!!). I also buy ready-cooked chicken breasts in multi-serve bags, so really they just need re-heating.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    2svhgth3bk2t.jpeg

Pizza. The answer is always pizza.

Nah, just kidding. I usually just do pizza on Friday nights. My dinners typically consist of 4-6 oz of protein (chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp or the occasional steak), and two veggies - whether it be sautéed sugar snap peas, mashed potatoes, brown sugar glazed carrots, salad, steamed cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
    or some nights I make tacos, or pasta w/ meat sauce, maybe a turkey meatloaf...
    So basically, eat what you like within your calorie goals.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    giant plate of non starchy vegetables with a drizzle of olive oil, one serving lean grilled meat meat, one serving of a whole grain, Some fruit for dessert

This^

Take a look at the new choose my plate (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/)

Some of us have grown used to mac & cheese, or French fries filling 2/3'rds of our plate. Veggies should play a starring role.

Your quantity is going to depend upon your height, weight, etc. Measure portions and log in MFP. The beauty of this system is you will have tools going forward for maintenance.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It's so hard knowing what to eat at first! I cook for my husband and myself, and he has slightly different dietary requirements than I do. Our dinners usually consist of a green salad full of raw veg and fruit, a cooked veggie like kale or broccoli, a small amount of starch (usually a whole grain like wild rice or quinoa, or sweet potato, yam, or squash) and protein like boneless skinless chicken breast, fish (mahi mahi) or lean pork.
    We limit red meat once a week, sometimes a roast or steak, sometimes meatloaf. My shopping is highly dependent on what's on sale and also what comes in our organic veggie box. The organic veg box has really made me expand my cooking horizons because I never know what's going to come. I might get butternut squash and kale one week, or tomatoes and kiwi fruit on another.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    psh on lean this, non starchy that etc.

I am cooking rotisserie slow cooker chicken, french fries and mixed veggies tonight.
    ETA: and making gravy to put on the fries and might add cheese too.

Last night was brown sugar glazed pork loin chops, baked potato and butter with sour cream and veggies

Night before thai chicken with noodles.

Eat what you want, when you want just stay in goal. It's not magic honest.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Eating what you like makes the transition much easier at first. Have you plugged in your stats to get a calorie goal yet?
  • samertarchichi
    samertarchichi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @chandanista i don't know how to do that :/
  • samertarchichi
    Options
    @meganridenour you are so meannnn
  • chandanista
    Options
    @chandanista i don't know how to do that :/

Ok, are you on the app or desktop website? And what are your stats anyway? )height, age, weight, daily activity level, etc)
  • TheChesireCat
    TheChesireCat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken, and salmon protein wise. I've found rocket (with or without dressing) tastes fantastic with everything and generally makes up half my plate of food. I eat a lot of leek mushroom and cherry tomatoes.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    @meganridenour you are so meannnn

Whaaat? It really is okay to have pizza sometimes, and important to learn that you CAN have these things in moderation. :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    psh on lean this, non starchy that etc.

I am cooking rotisserie slow cooker chicken, french fries and mixed veggies tonight.
    ETA: and making gravy to put on the fries and might add cheese too.

Last night was brown sugar glazed pork loin chops, baked potato and butter with sour cream and veggies

Night before thai chicken with noodles.

Eat what you want, when you want just stay in goal. It's not magic honest.

Yesss! That all sounds delicious. And there's nothing wrong with a starchy vegetable!
  • samertarchichi
    Options
    @chandanista i am using the app, i want to lose 15 Kg, i am 21, 175 cm, 185 Kg....and living in the mediterranean coast.
  • samertarchichi
    Options
    @chandanista i am a student so i don't make a lot of physical activity....but i do go to the gym almost 2 times per week
  • chandanista
    Options
    Using the app, so easy just go into goals and put your current weight and goal weight. Set it at sedentary and give yourself a goal of losing less than a half kilo per week. With so little to lose you have to take it slow or risk losing lean body mass instead of fat. When you work out put the workout in and it will tell you to eat a little more, most people eat about half of what it says in an exercise burn.

You can eat whatever you want in the calorie range. You can eat one meal a day that has all the calories or you can eat several small meals, whatever works for you. Check the nutrition tab daily to be sure your fat/protein/carb breakdown is close to right.