1200-1300 calories per day, no weight loss the 2nd week.

Options
I've been strictly adhering to a 1200 - 1350 calorie per day range for the past two weeks. The first week I did log a steady weight loss of about 2lbs like MFP projected. This weekend, after a week of being pretty good, and a tiny cheat day on Friday (though I didn't go over my calories) I've logged a 1.2lb gain and zero loss.

I'm weighing everything that I eat at home - using a food scale, using measuring spoons. When I'm out I stick with healthy(ish) options where I can read the exact calorie counts so I can be on point with tracking. Though it's not logged, I do empty and refill my 20oz water bottle 5 times a day.

I am also exercising. I do a 45 minute circuit training video on Saturdays and Sundays (Jillian Michaels HardBody workout) and the JM Ripped in 30 series Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays.

I guess I'm just a bit bummed that I am being strict with weighing and calorie counting this time around and after an initial weight loss I've already hit a plateau. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to be patient?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not really strictly.

Are you sure it's 1200-1350? I took a look at your diary and it doesn't appear you use a food scale...at least your entries don't reflect it.

As for spoons and cups those are for liquids only.

That's the first thing I noticed.

Then add on weight loss is not linear...exercise makes you retain water, you are a female so it could be getting close to TOM.

Plateaus are 6 weeks with no weight loss...not 2 weeks with a net loss of .8lbs...
    tu76olbqrlie.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just be patient. You've heard the phrase "weight loss isn't linear"? This is exactly what it means. You won't lose every week and sometimes you'll gain, even when doing everything right.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If It's not exactly it's very close. I do use a food scale - the ounces of food that I have listed are the ounces of food that I have measured out. I use tablespoons for things like almond butter, or a tablespoon of creamer and use liquid measure for soups. I'm careful to level off the measuring spoon.

When I eat out, I always choose the option with the highest calorie value to avoid underestimating what I'm eating.

Thank you for the flow chart - it is helpful. I guess I was just so happy with the 2lbs of weight loss that MFP estimated and am confused why it stopped. Good reminder.
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    not really strictly.

Are you sure it's 1200-1350? I took a look at your diary and it doesn't appear you use a food scale...at least your entries don't reflect it.

As for spoons and cups those are for liquids only.

That's the first thing I noticed.

Then add on weight loss is not linear...exercise makes you retain water, you are a female so it could be getting close to TOM.

Plateaus are 6 weeks with no weight loss...not 2 weeks with a net loss of .8lbs...
    tu76olbqrlie.jpg

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Nut butters and creamer are 2 prime examples of things you should weigh rather than measure. Really- go do it- you'll be shocked. But otherwise, yes, be patient. :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It's only Week 2. :) If you're still not seeing change after 4 weeks, you might need to reevaluate, but our bodies do all kinds of wacky things, and weight loss, as mentioned above, isn't strictly linear. You're doing the right things, and the weight will come off. Just stick with it and see what happens.
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    Just be patient. You've heard the phrase "weight loss isn't linear"? This is exactly what it means. You won't lose every week and sometimes you'll gain, even when doing everything right.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

Thank you. That does put it into perspective. I guess I just need to learn to be patient, and start weighing my nut butters :).

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Nut butters and creamer are 2 prime examples of things you should weigh rather than measure. Really- go do it- you'll be shocked. But otherwise, yes, be patient. :)
    Agreed. Anything calorie dense such as nut butters, butter, mayo, semi solid oil should be weighed as well. Use spoons for oil and liquids, and measuring cups for liquids.

Also, weigh in grams as it is more precise.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Do you log your workouts? What estimates do you use? How much of it do you eat back?
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Also, are you using a measuring tape?

It is very common for someone just starting out on exercise to maintain, or even gain weight while losing inches for the first few weeks due to water retention.
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Do you log your workouts? What estimates do you use? How much of it do you eat back?

I wear a FitBit Charge HR so I don't log my workouts. I'll enter my food intake into MFP, but then use the FitBit app to see the calorie expenditure vs. intake. I don't eat back my workout calories, but try to keep it at a 1200 - 1300 intake for the day.
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    Also, are you using a measuring tape?

It is very common for someone just starting out on exercise to maintain, or even gain weight while losing inches for the first few weeks due to water retention.

I haven't taken measurements in a while. Do you think this would still hold even if I had been working out regularly before I started dieting?
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Did not know this until now. Thank you.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you are only week 2! If you just amped up your workouts, you'll probably find that increased water retention is masking any weight loss. This happened to me when I went from jogging/walking (C25k) for 30 minutes 2/3 times a week to going to the gym 5-6 days a week for a variety of classes, and doubling up on 4 of the days!

It took about two weeks after an initial 3 pound gain for that to come back down, and as of today I logged a loss again. I'm assuming it's because my body is getting used to the increased activity level, so it's not holding on to as much water.

Just keep going. It's true what everyone says, weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't put on weight excessively fast so don't expect to lose it quickly either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Nut butters (and the like) are easier to weigh than measure, too: Put the jar on the scale zero (tare) it. Dip out your portion. Read the negative number. Converting it to positive, that's how much you log.

Also, there's a decent chance that your tiny cheat day caused some water weight, even if you didn't exceed your calorie goal . . . especially if you ate more carbs or sodium than usual (even if it was a perfectly acceptable level of carbs or sodium).

If you didn't eat 3500 calories in excess of maintenance calories, you didn't gain a pound. There's probably water weight involved. Don't panic; wait it out.