Post workout snack?

Options
What do you guys typically eat after a workout when you're hungry and need to refuel but don't want to eat back all the calories you just burned?

Replies

• Georgia422016
    Georgia422016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i usually go for something protein based, nuts or meat is good but a protein shake usually, for convenience
  • lucyhross
    lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My favourites are
    - a protein bar
    - Protein shake. I mix a scoop of whey with some berries, almond milk and a banana. Or you can swap the berries for cocoa powder or even instant coffee powder!
    - Blend some cottage cheese (for the added protein!) with some berries and protein powder
    - Nuts
    - White fish with chilli and lemon/lime and black pepper

Hope that gives you some ideas!
  • Kitkatebar37
    Kitkatebar37 Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lross01 wrote: »
    My favourites are
    - a protein bar
    - Protein shake. I mix a scoop of whey with some berries, almond milk and a banana. Or you can swap the berries for cocoa powder or even instant coffee powder!
    - Blend some cottage cheese (for the added protein!) with some berries and protein powder
    - Nuts

Thanks for the ideas! Think I'm gonna give protein shakes a try.
  • Kitkatebar37
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i usually go for something protein based, nuts or meat is good but a protein shake usually, for convenience

Thanks for the ideas!
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. I grab a Premier Protein shake out of the fridge.
  • lucyhross
    lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My favourites are
    - a protein bar
    - Nuts

I make my own protein shakes as I know some shakes are still just full of sugar and carbs. If this isn't what you want just watch out! Just buy some quality protein powder and make your own!
  • Kitkatebar37
    Options
    I'm lazy. I grab a Premier Protein shake out of the fridge.

I'm lazy too haha I understand.. Think I might try making my post workout snacks before I actually workout. That way I won't be too tired to make anything healthy and grab something quick and easy that I'll end up regretting.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    In general I eat everything in sight after working out.

But since you said you will give protein shakes a try, mix up the flavors with shakes. Add oats, peanut butter, hemp seeds and fruit.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I have a banana after I workout :)
  • Kitkatebar37
    Options
    My favourites are
    - a protein bar
    - Nuts

I make my own protein shakes as I know some shakes are still just full of sugar and carbs. If this isn't what you want just watch out! Just buy some quality protein powder and make your own!

Yeah I definitely don't wanna load up on sugar. I liked the recipe you suggested with the almond milk, berries, banana and whey. Might give that a try! And I'll probably do my research and find other recipes I can make myself to avoid added things like sugar.
  • Kitkatebar37
    Options
    In general I eat everything in sight after working out.

But since you said you will give protein shakes a try, mix up the flavors with shakes. Add oats, peanut butter, hemp seeds and fruit.

Haha that's what I feel like doing! It always makes me so hungry feel like I need double the self control to not eat everything in my kitchen than I usually need. But thanks for the ideas! Gonna look into some simple home recipes.
  • Kitkatebar37
    Options
    I have a banana after I workout :)

Can't go wrong with a banana! I love them, love having one with my breakfast. Maybe I'll start eating them after workouts. Thanks!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    What do you guys typically eat after a workout when you're hungry and need to refuel but don't want to eat back all the calories you just burned?

Chocolate milk.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Get some carbs after your workout! You need to replace the glycogen to help your body recover.
  • therealhyper
    therealhyper Posts: 124 Member
    Options

The Maximuscle Lean Protien Shake.
    It has loads of little bits inside it including green tea, guranana, L-Cartine. Not bad tasting either.

Wat are you taking at the moment.
  • therealhyper
    therealhyper Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ek786786 wrote: »
    Get some carbs after your workout! You need to replace the glycogen to help your body recover.

Carbs??? Will put the weight back on ???
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Dinner
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Protein shake, couple of rice cakes, and some sort of fruit. I'll usually bring it all to the gym and drink/eat it all after a workout on the way home. When I first started up tho id usually bring some candy or sweet baked good type thing which was due to some study on treating yourself post workout will instill positive reinforcement. Noticed after a while I would want to go workout to get that treat which always made me feel like a dog being trained. Just kinda rambling on but thats been replaced by a quality protein shake.
  • Kitkatebar37
    Options
    Protein shake, couple of rice cakes, and some sort of fruit. I'll usually bring it all to the gym and drink/eat it all after a workout on the way home. When I first started up tho id usually bring some candy or sweet baked good type thing which was due to some study on treating yourself post workout will instill positive reinforcement. Noticed after a while I would want to go workout to get that treat which always made me feel like a dog being trained. Just kinda rambling on but thats been replaced by a quality protein shake.

It's a good theory but I totally see how it could end up going bad. Good idea though. And I think I'm going to go protein shakes, rice cakes are good though, and fruit too. Thanks for the advice!
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to keep the calories low in your snack. Keep a good amount for a balanced meal with higher carbs (rice, potatoes etc)