How to prepare for a TRI 4 Cancer Marathon?

Options
I am doing a Marathon in April. We have to do certain activities such as, 400m swim / 10km bike / 3km running. I just need advice on how to prepare yourself for it? Any advice or tips is much needed . Thank you!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Those are relatively short distances, not saying it won't challenge some inexperienced people.

C25K app should get you running that distance if you are new.

When starting anything new physically it's usually best to do it without worrying how fast you are just get the miles/laps in.

I hope the TRI is a success and ty.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sounds like fun. Its hard to be specific without knowing anything about your fitness, your goals and whether this is an indoor or outdoor mini triathlon. With that said, here's a few tips based on some assumptions. My assumptions: 1) You have some level of "fitness", meaning that you have done some or all of these activities previously. 2) This is the first time that you have done the 3 disciplines together swim, then bike, then run. 3) This event may be either indoors, such as a pool swim, spin bike, then treadmill run - or it might be a combination indoor swim, then outdoor bike and run. If its held all outdoors, great!

Now, for a first timer who has little experience with any of the 3 disciplines, I would suggest that a good starting point would be to try to do 2-3 sessions of each sport weekly. So, for example, a typical week might look like this: Monday - rest day, Tuesday - bike , Wed - swim am & run pm, Thurs - bike, Friday - swim am, run pm. Saturday - bike, Sunday, swim am, run pm. If the distances shown are more than you are able to do, start with whatever distance you are comfortable and build up yardage/mileage over the course of the next month. And don't worry about speed at first - just work up to the distances. Another key point: If you are particularly weak in one area and strong in another - then try to do more workouts in your weakest discipline. If it's swimming - then swim more - and do fewer workouts in the areas you are already good at.

Also, as you get several weeks into this, you might take a weekend session and make it longer by doing a bike session, followed immediately by a SHORT run. This will do two things for you: 1) Give you an idea of what it feels like to run on tired legs and 2) Give you an idea of the level of endurance needed to complete all three events.

Finally - REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN! Triathlon can be challenging. If you've never done it before, then I'd suggest a good first time goal is to finish with a smile on your face!

I hope this very basic information helps. Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ nailed it.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am doing a Marathon in April. We have to do certain activities such as, 400m swim / 10km bike / 3km running. I just need advice on how to prepare yourself for it? Any advice or tips is much needed . Thank you!

I am going to be pedantic here but I have to correct your terminology. You are doing a triathlon. A sprint-distance triathlon to be specific. A marathon is a specific-distance running race of 26.2 miles (42.2km).
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Glad @glevinso did it so I didn't have to
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I know... I hate doing it but it is one of those things that bothers me. I had no advice to give that wasn't already given, but this was like looking at a frog and calling it a whale because they both live in water.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I know... I hate doing it but it is one of those things that bothers me. I had no advice to give that wasn't already given, but this was like looking at a frog and calling it a whale because they both live in water.

The thought crossed my mind to also refer OP to "The Rules" link, but then I thought that might be a bit premature.

To OP: Let us know how you do! Fair warning, though.....this stuff can be addictive.