Detox and cleanse?

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone who's actually done either one would be better suited to answer the question js.

Most of the people in your thread have tried silly fads in the past, including "detoxes", with no luck.

They (we) figured out the hard way that they are useless wastes of time and decided to just eat less food instead.
    That's cool...which one did you try?

They're all the same. It absolutely doesn't matter. They're all gimmicks.

Did you read the thread that Diannethegeek posted?
  • mel_the_shell
    mel_the_shell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone who's actually done either one would be better suited to answer the question js.

Most of the people in your thread have tried silly fads in the past, including "detoxes", with no luck.

They (we) figured out the hard way that they are useless wastes of time and decided to just eat less food instead.

I did, thanks for asking, I was just really looking for someone who's actually tried them to tell of their experience. But thank you!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    How about you list some of the toxins your hoping to get rid of with a detox.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I did, thanks for asking, I was just really looking for someone who's actually tried them to tell of their experience. But thank you!

There will be exactly zero detox success stories here, wit the exception of 1)someone telling their story about beating addiction to alcohol/heroin/meth/crack or 2)someone trying to sell you something.

We are seriously trying to save you the wasted time, energy, and money that it would take to try something that 100% won't work.
  • mel_the_shell
    Options
    How about you list some of the toxins your hoping to get rid of with a detox.
    Good point Stephanie...Not sure yet still doing research to see if it's worth it. Some people I know have done some like homemade stuff that they swear by.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    So... I work in the "natural foods" industry and often get asked to sample/trial the products our wellness/natural living department brings in. I keep fairly detailed logs of health related what-nots, being a bodybuilder... anyway...

I've taken dozens of different cleanses that are supposed to do untold numbers of things and I'm pretty sure, based on box claim and marketing hoo hah, I'm supposed to be immortal now.

But, in all honesty, the only thing I've ever noticed from any of these cleanse products is an increased frequency in restroom visits and changes in those types of habits/schedules.

I get my blood tested pretty regularly for health reasons (I have pretty decent insurance that allows it 4-5 times a year if I and my doctor play it right) and I've seen no noticable changes in any blood work.

I trend my bodyweight and fat percentage (to the best of my ability using the tools that I have) and the only changes I've ever seen in that regard are water losses, instantly (over the course of the cleanse) drop 5 to 10 pounds of water which return immediately after I stop taking said products.

TLDR:

Waste of time and money and definitely never cheap.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    i prepped for a colonoscopy, does that count? Not even fun btw
  • mel_the_shell
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Lol I've heard that stuff you have to drink is disgusting
  • mel_the_shell
    Options
    So... I work in the "natural foods" industry and often get asked to sample/trial the products our wellness/natural living department brings in. I keep fairly detailed logs of health related what-nots, being a bodybuilder... anyway...

I've taken dozens of different cleanses that are supposed to do untold numbers of things and I'm pretty sure, based on box claim and marketing hoo hah, I'm supposed to be immortal now.

But, in all honesty, the only thing I've ever noticed from any of these cleanse products is an increased frequency in restroom visits and changes in those types of habits/schedules.

I get my blood tested pretty regularly for health reasons (I have pretty decent insurance that allows it 4-5 times a year if I and my doctor play it right) and I've seen no noticable changes in any blood work.

I trend my bodyweight and fat percentage (to the best of my ability using the tools that I have) and the only changes I've ever seen in that regard are water losses, instantly (over the course of the cleanse) drop 5 to 10 pounds of water which return immediately after I stop taking said products.

TLDR:

Waste of time and money and definitely never cheap.
    Thanks so much for sharing! Good info!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I still have nightmares about mine.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    There was a thread by a guy who tried the Master Cleanse some time ago who had an unfortunate nighttime accident the deeply scarred him and his poor girlfriend. Too bad it's gone now.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    There was a thread by a guy who tried the Master Cleanse some time ago who had an unfortunate nighttime accident the deeply scarred him and his poor girlfriend. Too bad it's gone now.

That was the greatest thread of all time. I, too, hate that it's gone :frowning:
  • mel_the_shell
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Wow! Crazy. I definitely wouldn't do an all liquid diet...hers was a bit extreme but I get the point. Thanks a bunch for sharing.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    co-worker does a cleanse every few months, the lemon juice and cayenne pepper one. he'll do it for 3-4 days.

he's put on weight in the three years that i know him.
  • mel_the_shell
    Options
    co-worker does a cleanse every few months, the lemon juice and cayenne pepper one. he'll do it for 3-4 days.

he's put on weight in the three years that i know him.
    Good to know!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you trying to remove from your body with this cleanse? You mentioned benefits but have yet to reply as to what is beneficial about doing a cleanse or detox. Please also state what your trying to remove by doing a cleanse.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    As part of my research for a book I'm working on, I've tried a couple of cleanses (comparing today's diet trends with historical diet trends- The vinegar cleanse has been around since the Victorians). You'll lose some water weight, which you'll gain back afterwards, you'll possibly even end up dehydrated, and in the end, you won't have lost anything except money, time, and possibly the deposit on your apartment if you can't make it to the bathroom in time.

There are no 'quick fixes'. Eat a healthy balanced diet, stay under your TDEE for calories, and get some walking in every day, and you'll feel better and lose weight without making yourself sick or stressing your body. :)
  • mel_the_shell
    Options
    As part of my research for a book I'm working on, I've tried a couple of cleanses (comparing today's diet trends with historical diet trends- The vinegar cleanse has been around since the Victorians). You'll lose some water weight, which you'll gain back afterwards, you'll possibly even end up dehydrated, and in the end, you won't have lost anything except money, time, and possibly the deposit on your apartment if you can't make it to the bathroom in time.

There are no 'quick fixes'. Eat a healthy balanced diet, stay under your TDEE for calories, and get some walking in every day, and you'll feel better and lose weight without making yourself sick or stressing your body. :)
    Good info! Thanks Elizabeth!
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Nope. Waste of time and money. I can't think of a single thing they'd be beneficial for either.
    Detoxes that flush your liver are very beneficial.

Where's your Dr's degree ?
This discussion has been closed.