Overnight oatmeal in a jar???????

Options
2»

Replies

• brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Chia seeds were a game-changer with my overnight oats. Tried a recipe without them, and then finally bought them and tried it with them. Huge difference. As the seeds soak, they thicken and give a tapioca-like texture to the oats, which I enjoy. I make mine with milk, oats, chia, some form of sweetener and PEANUT BUTTER. So delicious, and right at around 430 calories, but keeps me full until lunch though. Love that I can prep them the night before. Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    How many calories do some of these end up being? Seems like it would be in the realm of 400 or so? That is too high for me to spend on oats and fruit but I an interested I guess.

Mine are more like 200ish, because I only need a half serving of yogurt and a half serving of oats since I'm eating both. Frozen berries are pretty low cal. You just have to watch the add ins!
  • bubbyroo
    bubbyroo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make them and I love them! I like them better then making it in the morning in a pan. My favorite is with oats honey mango cinnamon and milk. I found a recipe on Pinterest for a chocolate banana one. It sounded strange but was really good. I was worried about bananas overnight but it was yummy!
  • silverlotus
    silverlotus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    MamaMc3 wrote: »
    Glad you asked this - I have been wondering, too! Are you supposed to eat them cold or warm them up?

You can eat them either way. I tend to eat them cold more often during summer and heat them a bit when its cold. Personal preference though :smile:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    How many calories do some of these end up being? Seems like it would be in the realm of 400 or so? That is too high for me to spend on oats and fruit but I an interested I guess.

@arditarose , mine is 420 calories-- 40 g protein, 7 g fat, 52 g carbs. Calories slightly different from multiplying out macros due to rounding. That's using this mixture:

40 g oats
    29 g optimum nutrition vanilla protein powder
    6 oz 2% Fairlife milk
    140 g frozen blueberries
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on how I make them. I've found that using plain Greek yogurt just makes them too sour for me, but if I use a non sour base to start with (like Oikos triple zero), it's good.

But yeah, it's got to be steel cut oats, or bleh.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Pick a recipe, try them. What could go wrong? You find out that you don't care for them and then try something else? I make up 5 days worth over the weekend. They are still good on Friday. During the cooler/colder months I nuke a serving for 60 seconds and have it warm. During the warm weather, they stay cold. You won't know unless you try it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like it, but i make mine pretty different to all of the chia seed filled monstrosities i see online.

I don't want pudding, i want oatmeal!

I add:
    1 Scoop (28 grams), 100% Whey Protein Powder - Chocolate
    200 ml, Coconut Milk Original
    45 g(s), Oats
    4 pieces, Milk Chocolate diced

It ends up being 400 calories, 11g fat, 47g carbs, and 29g protein

It's delicious, but aint no body got the calories for it. And without the chocolate peices for texture? blech.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I like it, but i make mine pretty different to all of the chia seed filled monstrosities i see online.

I add:
    45 g(s), Oats

It's delicious, but aint no body got the calories for it. And without the chocolate peices for texture? blech.

I had a 700 calorie breakfast this morning... 400 is my average.

The one I made lately was 40g of steel cut oats, 1 container of Oikos Triple Zero, 2 tbsp of 1% milk, and 50g of strawberries. 300 calories, 20g of protein, 10g of fiber, and tasty too. But yeah, I have to use sweetened yogurt, or blech.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The one I am having for lunch is only 251 calories. Strawberry/Banana and it looks good. Hope it taste as good. I have started to get a little bored with the same ole light things for lunch, so wanted to try something new. Here is my recipe, I did not put the fruit into it, doing that at lunch:
    0.50 cup fresh strawberries
    0.50 cup dry, Old Fashioned Oats
    4 oz, Organic Almond Milk (Unsweetened)
    1 tbsp(s), Organic Nonfat Greek Frozen Yogurt
    1 tsp(s), Vanilla extract
    0.25 Small Banana
  • sassy_apple
    sassy_apple Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've really been debating about trying these as I can't stand regular oatmeal. I'm definitely going to try making a couple of jars this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for the motivation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I add:
    45 g(s), Oats

Sounds good.

Most of my breakfasts are up around 500-550. The oats I mentioned above plus milk in my coffee gets them up to that range. My other breakfast (I do oats on lifting days, eggs/toast/veggies on non-lifting days) comes to around the same.

There's a coffee shop nearby that makes overnight oats with coconut milk, blueberries, and toasted coconut on top. The coconut is a good complement to the blueberries. Yum.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I eat 2 servings of overnight oats every day, 1 for breakfast and 1 after dinner. I make it two servings at a time:

2 containers of low fat Greek Yogurt
    1/2 cup of oats
    1 scoop of protein powder

After I mix it together, I refrigerate it over night and then eat half of it at a time.

This is about 258 calories, 2g fat, 32g carb, 27 g protein.