Mediterranean Diet

Options
Hey everyone!
I started this post to see if anyone would care sharing any recipes or any suggestions when it comes to starting a Mediterranean diet. I was told by my doctor to start one, well more of incorporate it as a lifestyle. I'm not a big fish eater, but I'm gonna do it. She wants me eating seafood, chicken, and veggies, a very low carb intake. Has anyone else did a Mediterranean kind of diet and how did it workout for you?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I admire it. Fill half your dinner plate with vegetables to start out. Don't skimp with your full fat oil and vinegar dressing; it will keep you full.

Buy your fruits and veggies fresh and frequently.

It's not recipes so much as how the food is plated.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love this:

http://www.hummusapien.com/mediterranean-tuna-salad/

I always have home made hummus around.
  • Clarimade
    Clarimade Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So by any chance, do you measure out how much meat or fish you're putting on your plate? What about breakfast? What would be considered a proper meal for this kind of diet? Usually, I would eat eggs with like veggies or something, but that's something I just usually eat. Or sometimes I was eating oatmeal, but I have to back away from that. And thank you that helps.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean is not low carb.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

This is the truth. The Med diet is different in every country on the Mediterranean, and even in different families and villages. I live in Italy, and so that is the type of Med diet I know. Carbs are a big part of what we eat. Breakfast is usually personal choice, and smaller than Americans are used to. There is always cafe (coffee), with or without milk, and often a roll, or breakfast cookies. For lunch I make the carb meal of the day. It's usually pasta or risotto( with vegetables or seafood or legumes), salad or a vegetable, bread, fruit, and for those that can sweets. For dinner I make a protein, meat, fish or eggs. Then there's bread, vegetables or salad, cheese, fruit, and again sweets for those who can. This is a loose guideline. We focus on quality, and I buy alot of fresh fruits and vegetables (although I do use frozen--depends on the season). Olive oil is a basic condiment, but be very careful--it is calorie dense. I measure it out in teaspoons. You should definately weigh and measure everything. A digital food scale is a must. Hope this helps.
  • LKArgh
    Options

This is the truth. The Med diet is different in every country on the Mediterranean, and even in different families and villages. I live in Italy, and so that is the type of Med diet I know. Carbs are a big part of what we eat. Breakfast is usually personal choice, and smaller than Americans are used to. There is always cafe (coffee), with or without milk, and often a roll, or breakfast cookies. For lunch I make the carb meal of the day. It's usually pasta or risotto( with vegetables or seafood or legumes), salad or a vegetable, bread, fruit, and for those that can sweets. For dinner I make a protein, meat, fish or eggs. Then there's bread, vegetables or salad, cheese, fruit, and again sweets for those who can. This is a loose guideline. We focus on quality, and I buy alot of fresh fruits and vegetables (although I do use frozen--depends on the season). Olive oil is a basic condiment, but be very careful--it is calorie dense. I measure it out in teaspoons. You should definately weigh and measure everything. A digital food scale is a must. Hope this helps.

^This. Also check here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801
    If your dr wants you to be low carb then this is not happening with this eating style. The basic principles are olive oil as your main source of fat (the diet is definitely not low fat either) and fruit, vegetables and grains will be the main things you eat (so not low carb). And limited red meat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Clarimade wrote: »
    So by any chance, do you measure out how much meat or fish you're putting on your plate? What about breakfast? What would be considered a proper meal for this kind of diet? Usually, I would eat eggs with like veggies or something, but that's something I just usually eat.

about a 4 ozs serving of meat or fish with vegetables / salad / dressing.

The Mediterranean diet is very ill-defined so personally I would ask the doctor for a diet sheet or referral to a dietitian. If the doctor said go low carb then you can do that within the context of a Med diet see http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/ketogenic-mediterranean-diet/ which has a book published and a downloadable diet sheet here

Don't forget the red wine too, as described in a study of another Med low carb diet http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2586625/
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well carb-shizz aside, I think the general feeling of the doctor was the way of life. So like snowflake said, lots of fruit and vegetables and quality over quantity. I think that needs to be the focus. Perhaps the doctor meant low in refined carbs like McDs hamburger rolls kind of thing - which I think we can all agree on.
    Personally I would look to fresh herbs to add flavour, and google seasonal fruit and vegetables so you know you're eating produce at its best and just cooking to bring out the flavour.
    Maybe purchase a couple of good second-hand Mediterranean food cookbooks for some inspiration - with focus on fresh meat and produce. Carbs aren't the devil but protein and fibre should be your inital focus, and like others have said weigh out meat, vegetables, everything.

Hope this helps! :)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

^This. Also check here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801
    If your dr wants you to be low carb then this is not happening with this eating style. The basic principles are olive oil as your main source of fat (the diet is definitely not low fat either) and fruit, vegetables and grains will be the main things you eat (so not low carb). And limited red meat.

You are right, the Mediterranean diet is basically high carb, but it can be easily adapted just cutting back on grains/legumes and eating more fat.

• LKArgh
    Options

You are right, the Mediterranean diet is basically high carb, but it can be easily adapted just cutting back on grains/legumes and eating more fat.

Considering that almost all cooking fat will be olive oil and that meat and dairy consumption is limited, this might be feasible, but it might end up being not that appealing. I can imagine a lunch of sardines in a pool of oil for example, but most people would not be really thrilled about it. I am not saying that it is not possible to have a healthy and tasty low carb diet, but the modifications to make this diet appealing would probably mean it will end up not resembling med diet any more. Several servings of fruit and vegetables per day, lots of beans, lentils etc and also bread are pretty much things that define mediterranean eating, so take these away, and it is probably wiser to look for a completely different diet. Unless OP's dr meant limiting refined carbs only.
  • JeepBrooks
    JeepBrooks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar and it is working. Salmon is my main fish, chicken, veggies, beans, and nuts. No pasta, bread, very little rice. I've lost 4 pounds in one month.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Last time I was in the med I ate kebabs, chips, and fry up breakfasts and drank strong coffee, uzo, crap beer, and sambuca shots.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So many misconceptions about what a Mediterranean diet is.

First of all, the research that showed positive effects of lifestyle not just diet. That means that it includes being physically active, sharing food, eat generally fresh produce.

It's a diet that is middling carbs neither low or high - pasta, breads are certainly part, in a more limited fashion than in the US. Diary is also present in the form of cheese, yoghurt, etc.

It is high in vegetables.

Oil sources tend to be extra-virgin olive oil, nuts, seeds, olives, and avocados.

Sources for protein are more fish, then lean meats and less red meats.

BUT. It is first and foremost a calorie to lifestyle balanced diet. Active people eating food that is less calorie dense than the average American diet.

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Considering that almost all cooking fat will be olive oil and that meat and dairy consumption is limited, this might be feasible, but it might end up being not that appealing. I can imagine a lunch of sardines in a pool of oil for example, but most people would not be really thrilled about it. I am not saying that it is not possible to have a healthy and tasty low carb diet, but the modifications to make this diet appealing would probably mean it will end up not resembling med diet any more. Several servings of fruit and vegetables per day, lots of beans, lentils etc and also bread are pretty much things that define mediterranean eating, so take these away, and it is probably wiser to look for a completely different diet. Unless OP's dr meant limiting refined carbs only.

I also wouldn't find appealing a keto version, but I doubt that is what OP's doctor really suggested. At around 100/150 grams of carb there is plenty of space for several serving of fruit and vegetables (or moderate amount of whole grains/legumes).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are twenty-one (21) countries on the Mediterranean Sea. Most of them do not eat low carb.
    --
    Call for more specifics or ask for a referral to a dietitian
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    So many misconceptions about what a Mediterranean diet is.

First of all, the research that showed positive effects of lifestyle not just diet. That means that it includes being physically active, sharing food, eat generally fresh produce.

It's a diet that is middling carbs neither low or high - pasta, breads are certainly part, in a more limited fashion than in the US. Diary is also present in the form of cheese, yoghurt, etc.

It is high in vegetables.

Oil sources tend to be extra-virgin olive oil, nuts, seeds, olives, and avocados.

Sources for protein are more fish, then lean meats and less red meats.

BUT. It is first and foremost a calorie to lifestyle balanced diet. Active people eating food that is less calorie dense than the average American diet.
    Such a very true description of that diet. :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The Med diet is pretty much a little of everything, a moderation diet. It might be easier for you if you tell us how you're eating now--an average day. Then some of us could tell you how to substitute to arrive at a Med diet. It's easier to convert how you're used to eating now, since the topic is so broad. It can be overwhelming. The Med style of eating (eating is done with family and friends, it's pleasurable) and then movement. Walking is the favorite exercise. After a holiday meal, and a nap, everyone packs off for a long walk. They say it's for digestional purposes. When you cook think quality, not quantity.
  • Clarimade
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm looking more into it. Im going to look more at the links you guys provided to do more background research. When I spoke to my doctor her words were, sticking to mainly chicken and fish, beans, nuts, less red meat, and lots of fruits/veggies. But she also said to watch my sugar intake when it came to fruits for I do have problems with my sugar. She said try and stay limited from heavy carbs such as rice, bread, and pasta as much as I can. Reading into it I see everyone has different versions of what a Mediterranean diet consists of.
  • Clarimade
    Options
    Well carb-shizz aside, I think the general feeling of the doctor was the way of life. So like snowflake said, lots of fruit and vegetables and quality over quantity. I think that needs to be the focus. Perhaps the doctor meant low in refined carbs like McDs hamburger rolls kind of thing - which I think we can all agree on.
    Personally I would look to fresh herbs to add flavour, and google seasonal fruit and vegetables so you know you're eating produce at its best and just cooking to bring out the flavour.
    Maybe purchase a couple of good second-hand Mediterranean food cookbooks for some inspiration - with focus on fresh meat and produce. Carbs aren't the devil but protein and fibre should be your inital focus, and like others have said weigh out meat, vegetables, everything.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks! I won't have to worry about the McDs thing. Lol I think we all agree it's not good for you. Glad I don't have a problem with that, I'm not a fast food eater, I prefer home cooked meals :smile: