Hit a plateau...

Options
I found that in my first month I was really dedicated to diet and exercise, but slowly that diminished and I plateaued and then went up slightly. I can't seem to dip below a certain weight despite working out good macros and being in a calorie deficit every day and having light exercise.

Because I'm not changing (and if anything weight going up) it's really knocking my motivation and making me just binge or skip exercise. Any ideas what I can try?

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing you're not in deficit, especially if it's only been a month
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Are you adjusting your calories as you lose weight? Are you drinking enough water? Weight loss is not linear, sometimes the scale will show a loss, other times it will stand still. That does not mean you are not changing your body. Look at how your clothing is fitting, how are you feeling over all. I know it sucks to put in the work, and the effort and not have it reflected on the scale, but take a deeper look at what you are eating. Do you own a food scale? Are you weighing your foods, and properly portioning it?
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    What Lemony said.
    What might have worked, isn't working anymore. Most likely because your deficit wasn't that great and you lost some weight. You need to ensure you have a deficit.

I'm short, so every 5 lbs I have to work that much harder to keep dropping the weight.
  • shortgirlslim1
    shortgirlslim1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm eating on average only 1050 calories per day and exercising so I think that's a great enough deficit. I have food scales and drink at least two litres of water a day and drink nothing else. I understand that eating so little can put you in starvation mode but I have been eating this way for over 2 months now. And I always ensure that everything I do eat is mainly vegetables and protein with a small amount of good carbohydrate. I haven't got all that much to lose, but it is so disheartening when I think what I used to eat (almost 3000 Cals a day of junk) without gaining too much weight, and now after putting in so many life changes I stay the same. And when I say stay the same I mean I do both on the scales and in the mirror and how I fit in clothes.
  • majigurl
    Options
    I don't personally believe in starvation mode. I think, for many, you wont get the nutrition you need in just 1050 a day. I'm under 5 feet. I can do 1050 a day and not worry. Most can't.
    If you don't have much to drop, it's going to be hard. Hence the, last 10 lbs are the hardest.

I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks. I don't even look at the scale anymore.

If you really are at a deficit and working out and measuring everything and it has been a few months with no change, I would consult a physician.

It is either you are eating more than you think and not creating the deficit you think you are, or something is "wrong".

You say you weigh yourself often enough. Have you dropped anything? even 2 lbs a month is often all most can do when they are close to their target weight ( and many it's even slower than that )
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a plateau. Things arent supposed to change if, as you admit, your diet and exercise regime slacked off...
  • shortgirlslim1
    Options
    I am 5 foot also. Maybe I'm just hoping I would lose it in a much shorter time frame. I suppose it has only been a month or two and I just need to stay consistent. It is indeed only 10 pounds that id like to lose, I've lost one and then gained one, and then lost one and gained one - which is where my lack of enthusiasm comes from. Then I will have that one hour of madness and reach for the chocolate which will only have a negative impact.

Suppose it's just a waiting game and a matter of willpower. Just can be awful keeping strong when you're seeing no results!
  • majigurl
    Options
    I workout hard, I'm amazing (now) with measuring and getting logs and knowing what to eat ( most of my days are exactly the same so I don't have to log it ) and .. it's slow. we put on this weight over time, it will take even longer to get it off.

It has to be just what you do now. not a waiting game. there is no time line for this.. it will just happen.

Keep working at it, keep trying to find new foods to enjoy and new workout to love ( keep it fun and part of what you want to do or you wont continue ).

If you are dropping .5 of a lbs or even only 1 lbs a month, it's working... it's just hard when you have so little to drop.

You CAN do this!!
  • shortgirlslim1
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    I workout hard, I'm amazing (now) with measuring and getting logs and knowing what to eat ( most of my days are exactly the same so I don't have to log it ) and .. it's slow. we put on this weight over time, it will take even longer to get it off.

It has to be just what you do now. not a waiting game. there is no time line for this.. it will just happen.

Keep working at it, keep trying to find new foods to enjoy and new workout to love ( keep it fun and part of what you want to do or you wont continue ).

If you are dropping .5 of a lbs or even only 1 lbs a month, it's working... it's just hard when you have so little to drop.

You CAN do this!!

Thank you!
  • shortgirlslim1
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think I just needed someone to tell me that I can do it if I keep on with the good work. No more bad choices and in time things will change. And if not, I will pay a visit to the doctor as I do have relative who had thyroid problems so that could be worth checking. I think when you don't have much to lose it can be difficult sticking with it when seeing little or no result!
  • shortgirlslim1
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think I just needed someone to tell me that I can do it if I keep on with the good work. No more bad choices and in time things will change. And if not, I will pay a visit to the doctor as I do have relative who had thyroid problems so that could be worth checking. I think when you don't have much to lose it can be difficult sticking with it when seeing little or no result!

Oh, forgot to add... Is there any of you out there that are professionals/success stories that could possibly mentor me and support me on those days where I'm not feeling as positive? Let me know if you could, would be much appreciated!