Doctor said 1000 calories

Options
Hello all, so I went for my checkup at the doctor and we discussed my weight. He also runs a weight loss clinic along with his family practice. He suggested I cut to 1000 calories a day and no more than 25 mg of fat a day.

Isn't that too low calorie? I've been logging consisently for 2 weeks (open diary take a look). I average from 900 to 1100 day. Fat grams avg 24-30.

My BMR is 1294
TDEE is not much more than that maybe 1350.
5' 2"
CW: 143.2
I've lost around 2 pounds since 02/22.
% of body fat is 34%

Need your expertise and advice. :)

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would get a second opinion. I'd say eat at least your BMR and maybe get some exercise if you can to give you a few calories to play around with. But I am not an expert. Your doctor is an expert but I would still question anyone who recommended 1000 calories a day.

Is there any medical reason as to why the doctor suggested so low?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    my gut feeling is that your doctor is mistaken. You weigh the same as me, yet I am 2 inches shorter, and I am aiming for an average of 1390 with exercise.

You don't have a massive amount to lose, so eating below your BMR at this point is probably not wise. Also, eating fat does not make a person fat. Fat helps satiety.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You're only 143 pounds as it is and have already lost 2 pounds since you started logging. What you're doing is working so I can't see any reason why you would need to cut your calories and fat to such an extreme. Did your doctor explain why he was recommending those limits?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    yes get a second opinion - its not that your overweight by much...

I started my weight loss journey at 154lbs also 5ft 2" in 2012, I started on 1200 + exercise calories and lost 1/2lb a week.

I ended up becoming so active that I lost weight on 1800 calories. (I eat around 30g of fat a day).

I am maintaining a 22lb weight loss for 3+ years :smile: I still am very active. :smile: (my TDEE is 2200-2400 cals)

There is really no need to half starve yourself to lose weight.

All the best for your weight loss journey - its so worth it to look after yourself, get healthy and fit :smile:
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    mwood1234 wrote: »
    Hello all, so I went for my checkup at the doctor and we discussed my weight. He also runs a weight loss clinic along with his family practice. He suggested I cut to 1000 calories a day and no more than 25 mg of fat a day.

Isn't that too low calorie? I've been logging consisently for 2 weeks (open diary take a look). I average from 900 to 1100 day. Fat grams avg 24-30.

My BMR is 1294
    TDEE is not much more than that maybe 1350.
    5' 2"
    CW: 143.2
    I've lost around 2 pounds since 02/22.
    % of body fat is 34%

Need your expertise and advice. :)

How do you feel about what you are doing now? If I were in your shoes, 1100 is probably the lowest I would go.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    He's a doctor not a weightloss expert find someone on here who's qualified to give weightloss advise
    Last year I saw a highly qualified consultant (U.K. High up doctor ) for hemoraghing he said it won't happen again after examining me next 15 days I hemoraghed so badly the last one resulted in me nearly dying
    Personally get help from someone who has a clue as your doctor doesn't all because they are doctors does t mean they're right :)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and work with lots and lots of doctors. They don't always know what they're talking about, especially if they're one of those doctors of osteopathy (DO), and there are a lot of them who do family medicine.

If you're really concerned I would talk to a registered dietician.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So he runs a weight loss clinic? You discussed your weight? You are barely overweight!
    1000 calories is way too low. 25 grams of fat is way too low.

I would suggest starting with what MFP tells you, after you've plotted in your stats here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
    and picked your goal according to this:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

ETA: I don't believe your TDEE is that low. Are you bedridden?
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "ETA: I don't believe your TDEE is that low. Are you bedridden?"

LOL. No, not bedridden. I need to figure out what my TDEE is. I work a desk job. Use treadmill 3x week for about 40 mins each time. Brisk pace. But that's about all the exercise I get.

I don't know why he said to go so low on calories. It hasn't been easy and I am hungry alot. And honestly, I'm getting pretty tired of being hungry every day.

I'm going to take your advice and up it to 1100.

How many grams a fat a day to lose 1lb a week?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    mwood1234 wrote: »
    "ETA: I don't believe your TDEE is that low. Are you bedridden?"

LOL. No, not bedridden. I need to figure out what my TDEE is. I work a desk job. Use treadmill 3x week for about 40 mins each time. Brisk pace. But that's about all the exercise I get.

I don't know why he said to go so low on calories. It hasn't been easy and I am hungry alot. And honestly, I'm getting pretty tired of being hungry every day.

I'm going to take your advice and up it to 1100.

How many grams a fat a day to lose 1lb a week?

It's calories that matter for weight loss, not necessarily grams of fat.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. 300 cal/day deficit. Nothing shocking. You're short (No offense), so your overall caloric burn is lower.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    1000 is LOW. I'm 4'10.5" with 20 to drop and I don't eat that low. I would bring up your caloric intake to 1100-1300 and get moving more! get on your treadmill more. Walk when you fold your laundry.
    When you are short like us, we have to move more, not cut out that much from our diets. Bedridden I burn about 1260-1300 a day.

I agree, get a second opinion.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sometimes eating a little more helps with weight loss.... same with fat. Fat is not the enemy (as in good fats.. olive oil, fish, avocado's, etc.). Its usually the processed stuff that is the enemy. I still think that the numbers sound low. Sometimes doctors, especially older ones, don't think about things like blood work numbers, lifestyle, and overall health. They see a number and go solely on BMI and that's it.
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am not surprised. My friend's dietician put her on a 1000 calorie diet. And I know she weighs more than your current weight, probably by at least 50 lb.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    At 45 and your height, your goal will be low. I think your numbers are off some. I'm 41 and 5 feet tall but my goal is 1200. Loss is slower but more manageable.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think that your doctor is wrong. Unless he's had some specialized sort of training, most MD's get less than a semesters worth of nutrition training. I think that if you want an expert opinion, I would find a Dietician to work with.

That said, do not be scared of fat. Fat and Protein keep you fuller longer, so if you are eating at you BMR at a minimum (which I calculated slightly higher, but regardless) you could easily add more fat to your diet. Personally, I would be starving at 1,000 calories per day or less. Yes, losing weight is hard work, but there is no reason to make yourself completely miserable in the process.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ enter your info as lightly active and see what it tells you to eat... and eat that.

However, you don't seem to be weighing your food, so you're probably eating more than you think anyway. I'm guessing that's why a lot of doctors put patients on low calorie diets... they know that they'll underestimate their food anyway.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Is that sustainable? If not, once you go back to eating normally you will gain the weight back. Sounds like a quack, so far as weightloss advice. JMHO
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    yes get a second opinion - its not that your overweight by much...

I started my weight loss journey at 154lbs also 5ft 2" in 2012, I started on 1200 + exercise calories and lost 1/2lb a week.

I ended up becoming so active that I lost weight on 1800 calories. (I eat around 30g of fat a day).

I am maintaining a 22lb weight loss for 3+ years :smile: I still am very active. :smile: (my TDEE is 2200-2400 cals)

There is really no need to half starve yourself to lose weight.

All the best for your weight loss journey - its so worth it to look after yourself, get healthy and fit :smile:

Why do you eat soo little fat? diatary fat is healthy and essentiall for healthy hair, nails, skin, digestive tract, not to mention some vitamins require fat for absorbtion. I would suggest aiming for 0.4 grams per lb of body weight. so if you are 120 lbs that would be a min fat of 48 grams.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I really hope you mean 25g of fat, not 25mg. Actually, I take that back. 25g is just as ridiculous.

My advice is to find a doctor that's not a complete moron. 1200 calories per day is the bare minimum of what you should be eating.

You're in your 40s, you're relatively short, and I assume you're pretty inactive (?), so yes, your goal will be on the low side. However, 1000 calories per day is absolute nonsense. Please eat more than that. If you're exercising at all, you definitely need more than that.

You've lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks. Averaging a pound per week is fine, but not if you have to essentially starve yourself. Eat more and try to get your rate of loss to half a pound a week. You didn't say how much you want to lose, but since you're in the 140s, I wouldn't imagine it's all that much. Why rush it if it means eating less than a toddler needs?