Doctor said 1000 calories

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    mwood1234 wrote: »
    "ETA: I don't believe your TDEE is that low. Are you bedridden?"

LOL. No, not bedridden. I need to figure out what my TDEE is. I work a desk job. Use treadmill 3x week for about 40 mins each time. Brisk pace. But that's about all the exercise I get.

I don't know why he said to go so low on calories. It hasn't been easy and I am hungry alot. And honestly, I'm getting pretty tired of being hungry every day.

I'm going to take your advice and up it to 1100.

How many grams a fat a day to lose 1lb a week?

calories lead to weight loss/gain, not dietary fat. fat does not make you fat. aim for a range of 0.35 to 0.45 grams of fat per lb of body weight, so at 120 lbs that would be 42 to 54 grams, and more isn't bad, just may get in the way of other macro requirements.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    Sometimes eating a little more helps with weight loss.... same with fat. Fat is not the enemy (as in good fats.. olive oil, fish, avocado's, etc.). Its usually the processed stuff that is the enemy. I still think that the numbers sound low. Sometimes doctors, especially older ones, don't think about things like blood work numbers, lifestyle, and overall health. They see a number and go solely on BMI and that's it.

Fat is not "the enemy" per se, but fat also contains a ton of calories, so fat intake--even from the so-called-"good fats"--does need to be monitored. On a 1000 cal/day diet, 25 g of fat is 22% of total calories, which is lower than I would go, but it is not excessively low.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    "ETA: I don't believe your TDEE is that low. Are you bedridden?"

It hasn't been easy and I am hungry alot. And honestly, I'm getting pretty tired of being hungry every day.

This makes me sad. You don't need to be hungry all the time to lose weight. You can lose and feel full. You'll eventually get so frustrated with being hungry and feeling deprived that you will give up. It takes a lot of trial and error to figure out the sweet spot for weight loss. Sounds like what you were doing was working so I would stay with that. If it stops working then tweak and keep tweaking until you find something that works again.

Good luck! And stop feeling hungry!! :D
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    yes get a second opinion - its not that your overweight by much...

I started my weight loss journey at 154lbs also 5ft 2" in 2012, I started on 1200 + exercise calories and lost 1/2lb a week.

I ended up becoming so active that I lost weight on 1800 calories. (I eat around 30g of fat a day).

I am maintaining a 22lb weight loss for 3+ years :smile: I still am very active. :smile: (my TDEE is 2200-2400 cals)

There is really no need to half starve yourself to lose weight.

All the best for your weight loss journey - its so worth it to look after yourself, get healthy and fit :smile:

Why do you eat soo little fat? diatary fat is healthy and essentiall for healthy hair, nails, skin, digestive tract, not to mention some vitamins require fat for absorbtion. I would suggest aiming for 0.4 grams per lb of body weight. so if you are 120 lbs that would be a min fat of 48 grams.

when I talk about 30g of fat, thats saturated fat, if I include the other fats its more like 50-60g
    and as I mentioned before I am successfully maintaining my weight loss for several years, so obviously I am doing something right :smiley:
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to continue eating the 1000 calories/day your doctor recommended, can you possibly talk to a registered dietitian to work out a meal plan? The RD could help make sure you're getting enough vital nutrients, and also may want to switch your macro goals to include more fat or something else to help you feel full. Larger amounts of fat and fiber personally keep me full (I'm just a little taller, and a good bit heavier than you working with a 1200 calorie goal).
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think thats too low- even if you're 5'2.
    Id start with 1200-1300 calories.

At 143 Im not sure why you needed a weight loss consult? - let alone were told to eat so little calories.
    If you're hungry all its because you arent feeding your body properly.

Id say your BMR is around 1250 and TDEE 1520 range.
    10% deficit would give you 1368 cals/day - given your current weight Id shoot for this number-this includes your light effort of 40min/3x per week on the treadmill. So dont add or eat exercise unless it is above and beyond this.

For a more aggressive loss at 20% you'd eat 1216 per day

So yes, 1000 is too low.

• LorettaB1967
    LorettaB1967 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have to take in 900-1000 calories a day to lose .5 - 1 pound a week. Been walking 3-4 miles a day and trying to balance 1000 calories and end up losing 1 pound a month. I am 5'2" 173. Everybody's body is metabolism, I know mine sure is. Good luck! Just try it for a few weeks and see if what the doctor says is right. But don't make yourself sick.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hard to judge the doctor's intent w/out more info. However if he is running a "weight loss clinic", I suspect his outlook is geared more towards low-calorie diets rather than a more multifaceted approach.

Your situation has some challenges in that you are (or feel you are) overweight, yet you're not that overweight. With your size it is also more of a challenge to maintain a calorie deficit because your TDEE is smaller. In theory, given your size, a 1000 cal/day diet is not outlandish. However, as you known, it's not much fun either which makes it hard to sustain.

Personally I would also recommend increasing your cal intake into the 1200-1400 range and work more on increasing your total activity, both exercise and casual. TBH, you need to be on that treadmill at least 5 days a week; some strength training would help as well.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I have to take in 900-1000 calories a day to lose .5 - 1 pound a week. Been walking 3-4 miles a day and trying to balance 1000 calories and end up losing 1 pound a month. I am 5'2" 173. Everybody's body is metabolism, I know mine sure is. Good luck! Just try it for a few weeks and see if what the doctor says is right. But don't make yourself sick.

I'm sorry, but this is not good advice. It's extremely difficult to get in all the nutrients you need consuming 1,200 calories per day, virtually impossible eating less than 1,000 calories per day. Yes, ultimately weight loss is about calories in calories out, but there is something to be said for the quality of the calories that you are consuming.
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I'm a nurse and work with lots and lots of doctors. They don't always know what they're talking about, especially if they're one of those doctors of osteopathy (DO),

Generalizations aren't helpful.
    There are different types of people in all career paths. Some are competent, some are not.
    How one chooses which type of physician is best for them is a very personal choice and often rooted in philosophical belief about the body and health.

D.O.s are osteopathic and M.D.s are allopathic.
    D.O.s specialize in a whole-body, holistic, preventative, and macro-lifestyle approach to medicine.
    M.D.s specialize in a medicative, medical procedural, pharmaceutical, and micro-structural approach to medicine.

Their medical training is nearly identical. It is their philosophy about the human being as a whole person that is different. Both are fully licensed physicians who have attended and graduated from accredited medical schools and put in their hard work, study, and performed accredited medical residency. Both are required to pass a state licensing examination to practice medicine. They both should be knowledgeable in their field, offer sound medical advice, and have their patient's well-being at the core of their oath. Failure to be/do any of those things is a lack in their character or competency, not their chosen career.

OP - If you are seeing one that instructed you to do something you are not comfortable with, it can't hurt to seek out advice from the other and then compare the opinions. (Or even seek a third opinion.) There is also, as many others have mentioned, the alternatives of seeking out advice from a nutritionist, dietitian or even a kinesiologist; or seek out professional, yet non-biomedical, advice.
    I sympathize with your feeling of hunger. I almost always feel hungry which often leads to over-eating and lands me in a vicious cycle of weight-gain.
    A last tidbit... do you have time to fit some walking in your day? I know when the weather is nice and I take a daily walk with my neighbor, I find my weight slightly easier to manage.

Good luck :)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'm sorry, but this is not good advice. It's extremely difficult to get in all the nutrients you need consuming 1,200 calories per day, virtually impossible eating less than 1,000 calories per day. Yes, ultimately weight loss is about calories in calories out, but there is something to be said for the quality of the calories that you are consuming.

I agree- 900 cals is awfully low - especially if you are walking 3 miles daily.
    Azdak wrote: »
    Hard to judge the doctor's intent w/out more info. However if he is running a "weight loss clinic", I suspect his outlook is geared more towards low-calorie diets rather than a more multifaceted approach.

Your situation has some challenges in that you are (or feel you are) overweight, yet you're not that overweight. With your size it is also more of a challenge to maintain a calorie deficit because your TDEE is smaller. In theory, given your size, a 1000 cal/day diet is not outlandish. However, as you known, it's not much fun either which makes it hard to sustain.

Personally I would also recommend increasing your cal intake into the 1200-1400 range and work more on increasing your total activity, both exercise and casual. TBH, you need to be on that treadmill at least 5 days a week; some strength training would help as well.

Why is 3 days not good enough if thats all she can do right now?
    Some people lose a lot of weight with no exercise.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ enter your info as lightly active and see what it tells you to eat... and eat that.
    A bit too rigid and general IMO. Try this instead: http://www.muscleforlife.com/macronutrient-calculator/

However, you don't seem to be weighing your food, so you're probably eating more than you think anyway. I'm guessing that's why a lot of doctors put patients on low calorie diets... they know that they'll underestimate their food anyway.
    If that is the case, I can understand the reasoning, but it's not safe if the patient's intake really IS accurate. It must be better to tighten up the logging first, evaluate results, and THEN adjust intake.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Assuming you don't spend 18 hours a day in bed, your TDEE will be at least 115-120% of your BMR. So about 1500 for sedentary, meaning you take perhaps 2500-5000 steps thru the course of your waking hours. Sitting at a desk job mostly, but you still move some thru the day. You can help your TDEE by making an effort to move more.

You're on the petite side, so going under 1200 with doctor's supervision may be right for you. I'm not really qualified to say. I would inquire as to your doctor's experience/credentials with nutrition & weight loss.

You CAN lose weight eating more than 1000, but with having a somewhat low TDEE you'll need to be meticulous in your logging accuracy. And finding a way to move more would be good also.
    Hello all, so I went for my checkup at the doctor and we discussed my weight. He also runs a weight loss clinic along with his family practice. He suggested I cut to 1000 calories a day and no more than 25 mg of fat a day.

Isn't that too low calorie? I've been logging consisently for 2 weeks (open diary take a look). I average from 900 to 1100 day. Fat grams avg 24-30.

My BMR is 1294
    TDEE is not much more than that maybe 1350.
    5' 2"
    CW: 143.2
    I've lost around 2 pounds since 02/22.
    % of body fat is 34%

Need your expertise and advice. :)

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

OP, don't try this, not even for a week. Undereating always leads to overeating. A neverending cycle of deprivation and binge. Finding the balance takes time and effort, but it's so worth it.
  • NemEhes
    NemEhes Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and both my doctor and nutritionist put me on 1,000 calories a day. My mother who is 5'3" was put on 1,200 by her doctor a few years ago. Yours doesn't sound TOO far fetched. I would grab a second opinion though if you're concerned.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I would take the advice of anyone running a weight loss clinic for profit with a grain of salt. Sure s/he has described ONE way to lose a little weight, but there are others. You could go for a less aggressive deficit and shift the weight over a longer spell of time. I don't know if you have other health concerns. I've lost weight being pretty much fat & carb agnostic. I set a goal for my protein macro, then let the fats & carbs just fight it out among themselves within my day's caloric budget. I don't sweat daily deficits either; I prefer to track my weekly deficit for a little more wriggle room. There are hundreds of people here on MFP figuring out what works for themselves in different ways. If you don't have a pre existing medical condition, I would encourage you to put something together for yourself that makes you comfortable. You might find it more pleasurable!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and work with lots and lots of doctors. They don't always know what they're talking about, especially if they're one of those doctors of osteopathy (DO),

There are different types of people in all career paths. Some are competent, some are not.
    How one chooses which type of physician is best for them is a very personal choice and often rooted in philosophical belief about the body and health.

D.O.s specialize in a whole-body, holistic, preventative, and macro-lifestyle approach to medicine.
    M.D.s specialize in a medicative, medical procedural, pharmaceutical, and micro-structural approach to medicine.

Their medical training is nearly identical. It is their philosophy about the human being as a whole person that is different. Both are fully licensed physicians who have attended and graduated from accredited medical schools and put in their hard work, study, and performed accredited medical residency. Both are required to pass a state licensing examination to practice medicine. They both should be knowledgeable in their field, offer sound medical advice, and have their patient's well-being at the core of their oath. Failure to be/do any of those things is a lack in their character or competency, not their chosen career.

Yeah, when I see a DO refer a patient to a chiropractor to get treatment for their asthma, I tend to be a bit skeptical of their degree. :/

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im the same height as you and lose consistently eating between 14-1500.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Without knowing how long you are to be on this amount of calories and full health history, etc it is hard for anyone to offer you sound advice other than to pursue a second opinion. The simple fact that you are posting the question to a forum says you have conflicting feelings or thoughts so, definitely reach out to another professional.

Everyone is going to offer you advice on here that conflicts and adds to your confusion. Most of it will be out of personal experience (restraining myself from adding my own two cents about my experience). I would be leery of anyone telling you on a forum to not listen to a health care professional but, I know from personal experience that there are a huge amount of incompetent nurses, doctors, dietitians and nutritionists (I'm sure no one will personalize that) out there.

Again, when in doubt about any professional opinion in the real world seek out a second, third or how many opinions you need to feel secure in your decision.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

Yeah, when I see a DO refer a patient to a chiropractor to get treatment for their asthma, I tend to be a bit skeptical of their degree. :/

There are actually many studies out there that speak to the benefits of chiropractic care for a multitude of ailments, including asthma. Yes, there are crackpot chiros out there who are only in it for the money and will prescribe every patient a full course of treatment 3x/week for 6 weeks, and then there are chiros who spend time developing treatment plans that are specific to the individual and their ailments. It makes me sad that DOs and Chiros get such a bad reputation because of a few quacks. There is something to be said for homeopathic treatments and I for one am a believer.