Running with short legs?

Options

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of the feedback. Based on what some of you have said, I wonder if shorter people burn more calories then? I mean, if we're having to take more strides to make up for shorter legs, wouldn't the calorie burn be higher? This really makes me curious, but also makes me laugh a little at myself.*LOL*

Shannon

only weight and distance matter.
    Here is the formula:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Hmm I'm 5'3" as well, but I jog at 5mph without much strain. Maybe I have a shorter torso, though.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread yesterday so my apologies for the copy/paste, but:

Honestly, your height doesn't matter that much. Desiree Linden, one of the top female long-distance runners in North America, is only 5'2" and she just qualified for the US Olympic marathon team again. I don't know much about the science of it but I do believe the smaller/lighter factor helps offset a possibly shorter stride as you suggested.

Some other short runners:
    Tsegaye Kebede (M), Ethiopia, 158cm (5’2’’), 50kg, 02:04:38 (broke the Chicago Marathon record in 2012)
    Rosa Mota (F), Portugal, 157cm (5’2″), 45kg, distinguished as the Greatest Female Marathon Runner of All Time on the 30th Anniversary Gala of the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS) on 09 Nov 2012 (former European, World and Olympic Champion (won 14 of 21 marathons started including Olympic Games, World Champs, London, Boston, Chicago and Rotterdam))
    Tegla Loroupe (F), Kenya, 4’11”, 40kg, 02:20:43 at the 1999 Berlin Marathon to break the women’s marathon world record
    Samuel Wanjiru (M), Kenya, 163cm (5’4’’), 52kg, 02:06:32 (2008 Beijing Olympics marathon winner and Olympic record)

I think for sprint-type events it might be different, but not so much for distance.

I couldn't find much from legit sources on it, but here's one hypothesis from a blog:

Running speed (per minute) = stride length x number of strides per minute. To increase your speed therefore, you can either increase your stride length, or increase your cadence. It would seem that studies have shown a convergence towards a cadence of 90-95 (measured on one leg) or 180-190 steps per minute for elite runners. If we assume then, that this factor remains relatively constant, the other factor to consider is the stride length.

The main thing to remember when discussing stride length whilst running is that it can be vastly different to your walking stride length. This is because walking stride length is limited to the length of your legs as you always need to have one foot on the ground, compared to when you run, where there will be a period of time when both feet are off the ground. In other words, running stride length is dependent on your ability to push yourself off the ground and forward.

So how does this relate to a runner’s height? Taller runners, due to their longer legs, tend to be able to push off harder compared to their shorter counterparts. Weight however, also has to be taken into account. A taller runner may push off with more force, but they may also be heavier and thus, may not travel as far forward compared to a shorter, lighter runner. Also, the more you weigh, the harder your body has to work to lift itself. Another point to consider is that taller runners need to lift themselves up higher, to get their longer stride in before landing on the ground again – this vertical motion detracts from forward motion. All of this goes some way to explaining how the previously mentioned examples of marathon runners could triumph despite being relatively short – it is clearly the height-weight ratio that is of more importance not just the height.

This is clearly just one theory / factor and there are surely a lot of other things at play here. It does give me confidence to know though, that height is by no means a limitation.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I still run slow!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of the feedback. Based on what some of you have said, I wonder if shorter people burn more calories then? I mean, if we're having to take more strides to make up for shorter legs, wouldn't the calorie burn be higher? This really makes me curious, but also makes me laugh a little at myself.*LOL*

Shannon

Here is the formula:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

Out of curiosity, who here has used this formula and been successful eating back those calories while still losing weight? Or maintaining. Depending on goal?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Shannon

Here is the formula:

Out of curiosity, who here has used this formula and been successful eating back those calories while still losing weight? Or maintaining. Depending on goal?

I can't remember the losing part but I maintain on the net numbers within the calculation. Eating back though also has a lot to do with how good a food estimating process you have

with regard to the short legs, I used a shortening stride to reduce the impact. This has helped me run further and ultimately faster with a higher turnover rate so I don't think being short really matters. In fact, I can out sprint many people taller than me, I just can't out jump them :)
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Last race I went on there was a short women, probably around 5'1" / 5'2" and she was flying along. I was doing around 6mph and she blew past me with ease.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Being short is not as much of a factor it seems as the weight your carrying. If you're running, it's the ability/strength you have to propel yourself forward and having to move your other leg forward before impact. I've run for speed over short distances (not sprint distances) against much shorter runners and they have left me in the dust. I would think, the lighter you are, the stronger your leg/hip/glute muscles, the faster you're able to move your legs and the faster you are able to propel yourself forward. A taller person may have a longer stride but that's balanced out by the extra weight that is being carried.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I took my dachshund for a walk Saturday. He's had cabin fever so he decided to run his walk, and I let him. I had to keep a good jog going to keep up with him. His legs are about 2 inches long. Now, granted, he has 4 of them, but still...

I'm just being funny, I'm not mocking. But it's a bit true. I am no expert, but am someone who is progressing in running ability. I began with just over 5 mph on a treadmill. I can now sustain just over 6 mph for 30 minutes and am improving, so I can tell you that your speed will improve with your ability. Just enjoy and keep it up.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Work on endurance and you'll find that your feeling isn't so. You can get quite fast as a short person if you want to work on it :smile:
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I almost feel comical by asking this question, but does anyone think it's more challenging to run because you're a short person or have short legs? I'm 5'3" and I see treadmill workouts that tell me to run at 5mph and I laugh. I'm already at a jog at 3.5 and feel like I'm running at 4.0. I tried amping it up to 6mph for 30 second intervals and practically fell on my face.*LOL* Anyone else agree or do you all just think I'm crazy.

Shannon

Well, not really, running speed = stride length X stride frequency, and tipically shorter people can compensate their short stride with a higher frequency. No worries, keep on working out and you will improve :smile:

I never thought of that. I'm 5 feet tall and have a long torso. I've recently got a Garmin that tracks frequency, and it's typically in the 190's, instead of the 180's "ideal". I wonder if that is due to my height. I'm on the quicker side, but not an elite by far.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Work on endurance and you'll find that your feeling isn't so. You can get quite fast as a short person if you want to work on it :smile:

+1
    5' 4" here and every year I get shorter (everyone else is getting taller). I run slow but it's fast for me. Find your pace and slowly work your way up.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and can jog at 3.9-4.5. I think the lighter I become, the faster I'll be able to go. I'm more concerned about endurance, though,
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I don't know about running... but i have pretty short legs in proportion to my upper body, and let me tell you, getting into warrior pose is occasionally hilarious. Any yoga move that starts with "Now bring your right foot between your hands" actually. .. :/
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, your speed will improve.

I can walk briskly at 4mph, and can hold a jog at 5.5, and sprint at almost 9mph at 5'2".
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't think short legs has much to do with running. at 5'6" I played football and ran track all the way to and during university, I was always one of the faster people with decent endurance. Having short legs means your strides are probably shorter, but your turnover is faster which compensates for a lot of it.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It's nice to hear from people of similar stature. I've always thought long-legged people had it easier at runners and that short people were at a disadvantage. I think you busted that myth for me! Thanks for the research, too! It really puts things in perspective. I hope to get there one day.... I just started training for a 5k last month, which will be in April. My main goal is to NOT come in last! :-D

Shannon
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I ran into that when I was in the Military. I'm 5'8", but have short legs.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I feel this way sometimes, OP. I am really really slow jogger on treadmill (I started at 3.5 and have worked up a bit from there). I am 5'5 but I have short legs relative to my body (I have the same torso length as my 6'5 husband which is weird). I try not to think about my speed though- I am happy enough that I can "run" for miles when before I could barely even walk 1/2 a mile without feeling like dying. But I also have started to kind of resent treadmill running- I actually find I run faster and longer out on the road then in the gym where I feel l am just staring down the numbers on the screen.

But congratulations on your progress, OP. Don't measure yourself against others, just yourself :)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I used to feel this way (5'2"), I don't run fast by any means, but I think you also get more efficient as you run more. I still choose distance over speed, but I run at a consistent 6.0-7.0 mph pace and it doesn't feel too fast. Just keep it up. Running gets easier with time, as you build strength and endurance you'll be able to go faster.