Carbs

Options
Which fruits and vegetable high in carbs ? Which are best for building muscle ?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For building (adding) muscle you need to eat calories to gain weight, you need to eat protein, and you need progressive strength training.

For maintaining muscle (while losing weight) you need to eat fewer calories, you need to eat protein, and you need progressive strength training.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    All foods are good for building muscle, not just fruits. And you can look for lists of higher carb fruits such as pears, honey dew, cantaloupe, bananas, apples, grapes, pineapple, etc.. Heck just eat some fruit. They all have carbs so pick what you like.
  • kaykaur13
    kaykaur13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I want to build muscle lose fat ! I want no carbs fruit veg !
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    kaykaur13 wrote: »

There is no such thing as no carb fruits and veggies.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    All foods are good for building muscle, not just fruits. And you can look for lists of higher carb fruits such as pears, honey dew, cantaloupe, bananas, apples, grapes, pineapple, etc.. Heck just eat some fruit. They all have carbs so pick what you like.

@RoxieDawn Don't forget the sugar cane. It's a great vegetable with lots of carbs.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Banana and potato are high in carbs, to name but two.

I think you want something more protein based for muscle building.

• TeaBea
    Options

Building muscle OR losing weight.....pick one.

Look up recomposition - it can help you lose fat and gain muscle, but you need to eat at maintenance. That is very slow. Most people choose cycles of cutting (to lose weight) and bulking (to gain muscle....plus some fat) instead.

There is nothing wrong with carbs, unless you have medical issues. Carbs are energy, they have lots of nutrients and fiber.

There is no such thing as zero carb fruits & veggies....they don't exist.
  • kaykaur13
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Banana and potato are high in carbs, to name but two.

I think you want something more protein based for muscle building.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You need carbs and protein, as well as a calorie surplus to build muscle.
  • kaykaur13
    Options
    Protein eating 100mg daily ! I noticed when putting in fitness pal carbs go up when certain fruits veg counted !
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Protein eating 100mg daily ! I noticed when putting in fitness pal carbs go up when certain fruits veg counted !
    Yes, as fruits and vegetables are carb-concentrated foods.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

That's because they are carbs.
  • kaykaur13
    Options
    I'm trying to cut carbs to 30g day more protein ! So I wanted to kniw which fruit vegs to avoid ?
  • viktha
    viktha Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Starchy vegetables are high in carbs - potatoes, corn, peas
    Bananas, apples, pears, dates, raisins and grapes are high in carbs.

Also, I have a friend that is very into carb cycling and she had told me to look at net carbs = carb - dietary fiber, so like two cups of broccoli is 8 carbs - 4 dietary fiber = 4 net carbs. But I could be wrong.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I'm trying to cut carbs to 30g day more protein ! So I wanted to kniw which fruit vegs to avoid ?

Avoid 100% of fruits.....30g is nothing.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatveg.htm
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

At 30g per day, you're pretty much looking at avoiding all fruit save for maybe a couple berries here and there. Most veg is going to be of the leafy green variety with this low of a carb intake as well. You're going to be looking at consuming a great deal of fat and moderate protein with this dietary approach.

Why exactly are you doing this?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs. How many carbs depends on how many calories, so low calorie vegetables (and to a lesser degree fruits, like berries) will have fewer carbs.

Personally I think it's important to eat lots of vegetables, enjoy fruit (which I think is also healthy), and for balance and muscle maintenance/building include a sensible amount of protein. I also make sure to get in healthy fats. Beyond that, macro choice is really personal, so if you want low carb avoid higher cal fruits and starches.

I like them, though, and find that they are great choices for fueling activity.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs. How many carbs depends on how many calories, so low calorie vegetables (and to a lesser degree fruits, like berries) will have fewer carbs.

Personally I think it's important to eat lots of vegetables, enjoy fruit (which I think is also healthy), and for balance and muscle maintenance/building include a sensible amount of protein. I also make sure to get in healthy fats. Beyond that, macro choice is really personal, so if you want low carb avoid higher cal fruits and starches.

I like them, though, and find that they are great choices for fueling activity.

Well put.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, leafy greens.
    http://www.epicurious.com/archive/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visualguidesaladgreens

But I think your dietary approach is too extreme. Listen to the bulk and cut folks around here. When bulking, as long as you are getting your minimum protein in, you can fill in the rest of your calories any way you want.

When you are ready to cut, then you can get religious with your macros.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

So you're planning on a LOW CARB diet. Then research that. It's not necessary for a bulk, but if that's what you think you gotta do, then you need to do your research.