Calorie Goal Question

Options
Hello everyone! I am wondering what your height, Weight and calorie goals are. I have mine set to lose 1 lb a week and it is telling me to eat 1730 and that is with no exercise. I am at about 225 lbs, 5'6 female. My goal weight is about 165. I want to lose 40 lbs by January 1st. I've already lost 40 last year. I am adding in exercise but didn't want to put that in there because I want the exercise to be used as an extra burn and not eat it back.

Any one else care to share? Thank you!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    5'8" 33 years old 170-ish pounds. I lose a pound a week on 1700-1800 calories.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ht: 5'1"
    Set to lose 1 lb a week
    Activity level set to Sedentary
    SW: 201.2 pounds
    CW: 192.2 pounds
    SCG: 1,470 calories
    CCG: 1,420 calories

I log my exercise, if I'm still hungry - I'll eat something else but sometimes I will eat past my goal before my exercise so technically I've already eaten some of my exercise calories. Just depends on the day and how I feel and what I want. haha
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, good job on the loss so far and a huge :star: for reasonable and healthy goal setting. It's so nice to see that.

Anyway, I am 5'5.5" and 148 pounds. My goal right now is 137. I log food in MFP but use my Fitbit for activity tracking and to guide my calorie intake. My aim is 1 pound per week, which means that I am eating around 1600-1650 most days.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'3.5 and weigh 115 pounds. I workout every other day, but other than my intentional exercise i work in a sedentary position (around 3,000-5,000 steps total per day).

To maintain my weight it takes around 1,600 calories on non-working out days and around 1,800 on workout days. I eat somewhere between 16-1700 every day.

Because of my sedentary job, height, and weight, i have to eat closer to the 1,100-1,200 calorie range to lose a little less than a pound a week.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    OP, good job on the loss so far and a huge :star: for reasonable and healthy goal setting. It's so nice to see that.

Anyway, I am 5'5.5" and 148 pounds. My goal right now is 137. I log food in MFP but use my Fitbit for activity tracking and to guide my calorie intake. My aim is 1 pound per week, which means that I am eating around 1600-1650 most days.

Thank you!!! Do you think the 1730 for me sounds accurate then and just stick with it? I had it set to lose 1.5 before and It had me at about 1500/week. The 1700 just seemed high but maybe not.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Great job on your loss so far!

I'm 5'6", currently 147 lbs. Started at 170 lbs. My goal right now is 135 lbs. I log all my food, but I don't really log exercise in MFP. I use a Fitbit and let that give me some calorie adjustments, which I've found pretty accurate. I work a sedentary job, so I only get 3,000-5,000 steps/day before my nightly walk, where I try to get my daily step count up to 10,000. I've been losing about 1.3 lbs/week eating about 1600 calories. I tend not to eat back more than 25% of my earned exercise calories and save them for the weekend when I tend to eat out and order delivery and inevitably eat more calories than I do during the week.
  • aprilmerritt434
    aprilmerritt434 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! Do you think the 1730 for me sounds accurate then and just stick with it? I had it set to lose 1.5 before and It had me at about 1500/week. The 1700 just seemed high but maybe not.

1700 is not too high. Contrary to what was burned into us our whole lives, 1200 calories a day isn't enough food for healthy weight loss. At least I don't think so. You have to feed your metabolism. Leave it at the 1730 and see what your body does with it. I think that is a reasonable calorie intake.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Nope, I don't think it sounds too high. I ate at about 1750-1850 from 170 down to 150.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am wondering what your height, Weight and calorie goals are. I have mine set to lose 1 lb a week and it is telling me to eat 1730 and that is with no exercise. I am at about 225 lbs, 5'6 female. My goal weight is about 165. I want to lose 40 lbs by January 1st. I've already lost 40 last year. I am adding in exercise but didn't want to put that in there because I want the exercise to be used as an extra burn and not eat it back.

Congrats on the first 40 you have lost!!!! Well done.

I, like you, prefer to keep my basic reading set at sedentary and then I add the exercise (which varies greatly day to day and week to week). In addition, I prefer to use a couple of other calorie goal calculator sources as MFP's calculator spits out a number that is 70-100 calories per day higher than other sources I use.

My favorite:

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Example, my MFP calculator which I currently have set to lose 1 pound per week and is updated with my latest weigh says this....

1640 Calories per day to achieve the deficit goal of losing one pound per week.

25526756982_b2e4c228f2_z.jpg

Plugging in the same information (age, gender, height, weight, sedentary level) at Calorie Net yields this...

1555 Calories per day to achieve the deficit goal of losing one pound per week.

25619277046_c04db76f64_z.jpg

Currently, the difference is 85 calories per day between the two sources. That may not sound like much, but I have found it makes a difference in achieving my goals or not. I am very close to my target goal and the plan is to hit it by the end of March before going into maintenance mode from April to September.

I yo-yo about 8% of my ideal racing body weight for bike racing (which is normal for endurance athletes) where I train less from September to January and eat more while lifting weights during that time frame. Then I switch gears, start eating less and training more to shed the off season weight gain. This is my third year of really tracking that and using CICO to accomplish the goals. I overshot my 8% rule last Fall and have been busy chipping away at that mistake week, by week. Each year, I have found the MFP #'s to calculate a bit higher than other sources - so I either adjust for it, or simply use another source such as Calorie Net's calculator.

The best wake up call I had on the MFP boards back in 2014 was when a forum member told me to read this as my weight loss had hit a plateau and even though I was following the MFP calculator, I started checking other sources and noticed the MFP numbers were 70-100 calories higher to reach my goals. Once I switched the numbers - the loss started up again and I hit my goal.

Best of luck in reaching your goal. Controlling the CICO day in and day out is not that difficult (especially if you are using exercise) and takes very little time to track what you have eaten. It's eye opening and fun to watch the results.

Keep up the good work!
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

That doesn't sound too high to me, I'm 5'5.5", 27 years old and currently at 213.7, eating 1648 on non-exercise days. I decrease my calories after every 5lbs lost instead of the usual 10. Btw, congrats on the 40 you lost!

ETA: I use Scooby's to calculate my calories: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and I prefer to set my calorie goal to sedentary (I have a desk job) and I tend to only eat back my calories when it results in my deficit putting me below 1200 or if I'm hungry. This is best for me because I work out at night, usually after I've eaten dinner.

• kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I, like you, prefer to keep my basic reading set at sedentary and then I add the exercise (which varies greatly day to day and week to week). In addition, I prefer to use a couple of other calorie goal calculator sources as MFP's calculator spits out a number that is 70-100 calories per day higher than other sources I use.

My favorite:

Example, my MFP calculator which I currently have set to lose 1 pound per week and is updated with my latest weigh says this....

Plugging in the same information (age, gender, height, weight, sedentary level) at Calorie Net yields this...

Currently, the difference is 85 calories per day between the two sources. That may not sound like much, but I have found it makes a difference in achieving my goals or not. I am very close to my target goal and the plan is to hit it by the end of March before going into maintenance mode from April to September.

I yo-yo about 8% of my ideal racing body weight for bike racing (which is normal for endurance athletes) where I train less from September to January and eat more while lifting weights during that time frame. Then I switch gears, start eating less and training more to shed the off season weight gain. This is my third year of really tracking that and using CICO to accomplish the goals. I overshot my 8% rule last Fall and have been busy chipping away at that mistake week, by week. Each year, I have found the MFP #'s to calculate a bit higher than other sources - so I either adjust for it, or simply use another source such as Calorie Net's calculator.

The best wake up call I had on the MFP boards back in 2014 was when a forum member told me to read this as my weight loss had hit a plateau and even though I was following the MFP calculator, I started checking other sources and noticed the MFP numbers were 70-100 calories higher to reach my goals. Once I switched the numbers - the loss started up again and I hit my goal.

Best of luck in reaching your goal. Controlling the CICO day in and day out is not that difficult (especially if you are using exercise) and takes very little time to track what you have eaten. It's eye opening and fun to watch the results.

Keep up the good work!

You are right it shows me 1645 to lose 1 lb a week so maybe I will just try to eat about 50-100 calories less than what it says on MFP along with exercising. Thank you for the awesome helpful post!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm at maintenance now.

I'm 5'6", ~129 pounds, 41 years, female. Lightly active to the level of ~10k steps a day (including exercise) my maintenance level is about 1750-1850 calories per day. So since you are heavier, it makes sense that you would lose weight eating 1730 per day. (A heavier body uses more energy, all else being equal, than a lighter body.)

PS My starting weight was ~179 (this time lol) and I ate mostly in the 1400-1600 range to lose ~50 pounds over 9.5 months. BUT you're starting higher than me. In time as you get closer to goal you may need to choose to a) decrease your calories or b) accept losing at a slower weight.
  • revolucia78
    Options

My favorite:

Keep up the good work!

You are right it shows me 1645 to lose 1 lb a week so maybe I will just try to eat about 50-100 calories less than what it says on MFP along with exercising. Thank you for the awesome helpful post!

@kristinak48 If you want to, I manually change my calorie goals so that I can actually see the target I'm trying to get. If you go to (on the computer) My Home --> Goals ---> Edit under "Daily Nutrition Goals" you can change the calorie goal and macro goals to reflect what you want.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    @kristinak48 If you want to, I manually change my calorie goals so that I can actually see the target I'm trying to get. If you go to (on the computer) My Home --> Goals ---> Edit under "Daily Nutrition Goals" you can change the calorie goal and macro goals to reflect what you want.

Thanks for that tip!
  • revolucia78
    Options

Thanks for that tip!

No problem! :)