Insanity and heavy lifting

Options
Is anyone else doing Insanity and heavy lifting including leg days? I added Insanity back into the mix a couple of weeks ago and love it. I had been doing lifting and 20 minutes of HIIT as part of the knee rehab process. I'm not trying to bulk up, I'm trying to get back into hockey shape. And I used to do this regularly before I tore up my knee from a hit. Anyway, just curious if anyone else does it and likes the conditioning results.

Replies

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yep I do a big mix of Body Beast, Insanity, Krav Maga and Stronglifts.

My schedule each week looks something like this but not set in stone:

Monday: Body Beast Chest/Tris
    Tuesday: Krav Maga Class
    Wed: Body Beast Back/Bis
    Thurs: Krav Maga Class
    Fri: Body Beast Shoulders/Insanity Pure Cardio or Max Cardio Circuit
    Sat: Krav Maga Class or Insanity video
    Sunday: Dead Lifts/Squats/OHP

Basically I just like switching things up. Not big on rest days either. If I'm feeling like it's a down day I'll do one of the Insanity recovery vids or stretch vids. But Insanity is my go to for at home cardio for sure.
  • AdaR25
    AdaR25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Basically I just like switching things up. Not big on rest days either. If I'm feeling like it's a down day I'll do one of the Insanity recovery vids or stretch vids. But Insanity is my go to for at home cardio for sure.

HI I just stared insanity do u guys have any tips for me on what else I can do. I want to lose weight and get toned up
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm doing heavy lifting during my lunch break in the work gym and then Insanity each night. So those are my two workouts per day. I'm loving it.

@AdaR25 Insanity by itself is a pretty good workout. Combined with the right nutrition it'll get you in great shape. It all starts with proper nutrition though. Workouts will improve your fitness (better cardiovascular and muscle/joint condition) and burn calories which can help create your calorie deficit. If you're not at a deficit, you won't lose weight though. Depending on how long you have been working out, Insanity might be all you need from a workout. Stick with the program, it does work.
  • AdaR25
    AdaR25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Burger2066 wrote: »
    I'm doing heavy lifting during my lunch break in the work gym and then Insanity each night. So those are my two workouts per day. I'm loving it.

@AdaR25 Insanity by itself is a pretty good workout. Combined with the right nutrition it'll get you in great shape. It all starts with proper nutrition though. Workouts will improve your fitness (better cardiovascular and muscle/joint condition) and burn calories which can help create your calorie deficit. If you're not at a deficit, you won't lose weight though. Depending on how long you have been working out, Insanity might be all you need from a workout. Stick with the program, it does work.

@Burger2066 thank you I just stared it 3 days ago I jut have never worked out before so I'm starting to understand because I was also thinking of doing mixed martial arts
  • Burger2066
    Options
    AdaR25 wrote: »

@Burger2066 thank you I just stared it 3 days ago I jut have never worked out before so I'm starting to understand because I was also thinking of doing mixed martial arts

MMA is definitely a great workout. If I were you, I wouldn't do both in the same day since you are new to working out. But mixing in MMA and doing Insanity other days would be great.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Cautionary word to the wise- doing regular HIIT program AND heavy lifting- doubling up on the same day for regularly scheduled training- is going to cause problems.

There is little to no reason to do those on the same day unless you're some sort of professional athlete. Once in a while- sure- but as a regular program? nope nope nope nope.

it's GOING to cause a problem.
  • Burger2066
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Cautionary word to the wise- doing regular HIIT program AND heavy lifting- doubling up on the same day for regularly scheduled training- is going to cause problems.

There is little to no reason to do those on the same day unless you're some sort of professional athlete. Once in a while- sure- but as a regular program? nope nope nope nope.

I'm 35 and I've done that since I was 18, aside from when I tore up my knee from a hit. My doc says it is ok, my physical therapist says it is ok, and I feel great doing it. What kind of problems is it going to cause?

• Burger2066
    Options
    Just reread my response...not trying to sound like an a-hole. :)
  • JoRocka
    Options

I'm 35 and I've done that since I was 18, aside from when I tore up my knee from a hit. My doc says it is ok, my physical therapist says it is ok, and I feel great doing it. What kind of problems is it going to cause?
    repetitive stress injuries are a big one.

Doing that kind of intensive work is totally unnecessary- but I don't need to tell you anything- since you obviously know more than I do.
  • Burger2066
    Options

repetitive stress injuries are a big one.

Doing that kind of intensive work is totally unnecessary- but I don't need to tell you anything- since you obviously know more than I do.

Haha. I never said I know more than you do. I asked what kind of problems it is going to cause. I've consulted with my doctors and physical therapist over the years about it and they all give me the go ahead. But I never said I know more than anyone or that they do...I was just pointing out that I did consult people that went through medical school since they didn't cover that stuff in my degree programs.

• JoRocka
    Options
    Having done a double work out like that before- with specific HIIT training AND a structured lifting program- and gotten bit from it- A. with injury (RSI) and B.) No gains- I can tell you- there can and eventually will be damage done.

If you just really like over doing it- then have at it- but odds are something's going to give at some point OR- you're going to be spinning you're wheels.

If you aren't training for something- there is no reason to do that much work- you don't get bonus points for it.

If you're only doing that 2 times a week? I would have significantly less to say- but doing that regularly 3-5 times a week you're increasing your risks significantly.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity Max 3 days a week and p90x 2 days a week for body recomposition. It is kicking my *kitten*.

I'm wondering if I should ss witch and do p90x 3 days and insanity max 2 days for faster results, but t hey will both work your body hard in different ways.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I did Body Beast & Insanity for a while, was the leanest I've ever been....was before I got my rack so 50lb dumbbells was as heavy as I was going.
  • Burger2066
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Having done a double work out like that before- with specific HIIT training AND a structured lifting program- and gotten bit from it- A. with injury (RSI) and B.) No gains- I can tell you- there can and eventually will be damage done.

If you just really like over doing it- then have at it- but odds are something's going to give at some point OR- you're going to be spinning you're wheels.

If you aren't training for something- there is no reason to do that much work- you don't get bonus points for it.

If you're only doing that 2 times a week? I would have significantly less to say- but doing that regularly 3-5 times a week you're increasing your risks significantly.

Like I said in my original post, I am training to get back into hockey after I had a knee injury resulting from a hit. And having done this type of workout for so long, I know it gets me in shape to play at the level I want to play at. I'm not doing it for bonus points or so I can log a bunch of stuff on here.

@JoRocka I'll go ahead and ask, what did I do that pissed you off? And if it makes you feel any better, I did yoga last night instead of Insanity...
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't even really see the big deal. Lifting heavy during the day then Insanity at night if planned right you're probably rarely using the same muscle groups, and even if so using them in a totally different way. I'd assume if you worked arms heavy during the day you would choose an Insanity vid that works the lower body and vice versa with legs. I've done plenty of double days here and there, certainly not everyday. Back in high school on my football team we lifted in the mornings then ran a full practice at night. Heck T25 even calls for double workouts on Fridays as part of it's curriculum. Looks from your profile pics that you're seeing plenty of results so keep up the good fight my man. Do what works for you, she can do what works for her. And we can all sing kumbaya 8)
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else doing Insanity and heavy lifting including leg days? I added Insanity back into the mix a couple of weeks ago and love it. I had been doing lifting and 20 minutes of HIIT as part of the knee rehab process. I'm not trying to bulk up, I'm trying to get back into hockey shape. And I used to do this regularly before I tore up my knee from a hit. Anyway, just curious if anyone else does it and likes the conditioning results.

If you can do Insanity AND lift on the same days then power to you (and I mean that in a non-snarky way). When I did Insanity I was whipped and really happy that I was taking a gym hiatus. Just watch your knee since you have a previous injury because there's a lot of jumping. I screwed up one of my feet from all the jumping and it's pretty much made it so I can't run without being in excruciating pain. :(

• nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

IMHO, there will be a certain percentage of people who will be able to tolerate this type of training. There will also be a certain number of people who will shatter like fine crystal even thinking about it. Most of us will fall somewhere between - an increased risk of acute or repetitive strain injury (most likely to the knees, low back, or ankles) with this level of intensity and frequency. The OP said this is his usual style of training and has never had an injury, so while he may experience some new issues due to his recent unrelated knee injury, it sounds like he has rehabed his knee appropriately and I would tend to trust that he knows what he is doing and since he tolerated it in the past will tolerate it again just fine.

To the OP - I love Insanity ( and HIIT workouts) but have not lifted for years. I would think you would get crazy results with this combination (given that you can tolerate it) and Insanity seems like a great workout for the type of cardio fitness you need for hockey.
  • Burger2066
    Options
    I'm not trying to do the whole "I'm right, you're wrong" thing. I'm just not sure what I said that pissed her off.

But I know my body, I know what has worked for me in the past. And if/when there are times I feel more sore than I should or if the knee starts bothering me, I'm obviously going to take some time to rest up so that I don't injure myself. I foam roll and stretch daily too. The knee has felt great so far (I did roughly 12 months of actual rehab and physical therapy before I even started back in to normal leg workouts). The last two days I have done PiYo at night because I've felt a little tighter than normal. I added in some plyo work during my heavy lifting sessions, nothing extreme, just stuff to get the heart rate up a bit. And to clarify, when I say heavy lifting, I mean resistance training where I lift as much as I can and do a lot of reps, but I'm not doing body building type work. It is all functional fitness type, as that is what will benefit me the most when playing hockey.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Absolutely nothing.

I'm not pissed- you're simply reading to much into the words. :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

^^this