Fitness trackers - are they necessary?

Options
I am considering purchasing an apple watch when version 2 is released. I am wondering if (1) a fitness tracker is necessary (2) if it is if the apple watch is worth the splurge (obviously its more than just a fitness tracker - hence the additional cost) (3) what other fitness trackers would you recommend.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No, trackers aren't necessary at all but they sure do help to motivate imo. :smile: Plus its great to have good feedback on TDEE each day.
    Most brands work the same way, I have a Fitbit but they're all much of a muchness, so the preference is yours.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Fitness trackers aren't necessary at all. They don't work as well for exercise routines that involve a lot of HIIT work or based around a lifting routine. They're more designed for people that like to do steady state cardio and are less accurate outside of that.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I agree with RunRutheeRun. A tracker is not necessary but mine is certainly motivating.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 235 which I purchased for the GPS and wrist-based heart rate monitor. It's kinda pricey (like the apple watch), but it has certainly motivated me to get up and move more (it has an alarm that vibrates and says "MOVE" if you've been sedentary for an hour). It also syncs with MFP easily. My one complaint is that since it's wrist-based, it doesn't accurately record my steps on the elliptical (I haven't purchased the $70 foot pod which would alleviate this issue).
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Are fitness trackers necessary? What did people do before they were invented?
  • krouch17
    krouch17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin vivoactive and LOVE it! Fitness trackers are good if you plan to run/walk for your fitness routine but other then that are not necessary. I love knowing how many steps and how active i have been throughout the day....it gives me a lot of motivation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why would they be necessary? They're relatively new gadgets and people have been healthy and fit long before these things were ever invented.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    they are not necessary.
    i do like mine though.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I use a hrm (polar ft4 - nothing too fancy) for sustained cardio but other than the steps my phone picks up when I am holding it, I don't track my overall activity. I never add calories for steps unless it's an intentional walk/hike and then I'm only adding for the specific exercise.

Fitness trackers are great for some people in that it motivates them to move a lot more. I've seen friends get up and walk when they used to do nothing. I think anything that promotes moving more is a good thing.
  • HeatherSpicer1
    HeatherSpicer1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love mine it's a Garmin Vivofit 2. It is water proof which is great. I love how it motivates me to move. Which in the evenings when I am watching TV I will get up and step in place instead of just sitting all night. I like the challenges also I want to do good in them so I walk more.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    My fitbit just makes me depressed. I find it counter productive so I've stopped using it, I'm probably gonna sell it
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    My fitbit just makes me depressed. I find it counter productive so I've stopped using it, I'm probably gonna sell it

sorry to hear that :/ not sure what is depressing about the numbers, unless you aren't moving....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    of course not- people have been doing this ish for years without them.

If you like gadgets- get one- if you don't want to spend the money- don't.

The only "gadget" I need is my food scale.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    stickkop wrote: »
    (1) a fitness tracker is necessary

Absolutely not. They have some benefits, they have some disbenefits. As with any tool it's only as useful as using it appropriately.
    (2) if it is if the apple watch is worth the splurge

Personally I would say not, but that's largely because the functionality is available in many other tools that aren't walled garden functionality.

There re better ways to spend your hard earned cash
    (3) what other fitness trackers would you recommend.

Depends what you want to gain, what type of training you do, what apps you use to track that training and what success looks like in your training.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Probably sounds daft but I find my vivo fit more use when not active, than when I am. If I do workout or session I can just log it (usually log half the time so don't exceed calories ). However it's very good at encouraging me to move on lazy non gym days.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nope.... but i would not go a day without my fitbit,, i'm worse than Pavlov's dog..i live for that stupid buzzing.
    could barley hit the 10 k mark the first week or 2... yesterday i broke the 20k mark. for me it has been nothing but a motivational tool. lost 38 lbs in 74 days
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If my fitbit is synced to MFP and I go for a run with my iphone app and enter that run into MFP will the steps be double counted?