Splenda was born as an insecticide!

Options
http://www.youtube.com/embed/liU0SVvU8zg

See it. This is stuff you should know if you've ever used Splenda. You likely won't use it again.

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a very explosive metal.

Chlorine is a deadly gas.

Mixed together they make salt.

A lot of things were made on accident. Don't let things like this scare you. Tomatoes were once thought to be poisonous because cows ate them.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

A lot of things were made on accident. Don't let things like this scare you. Tomatoes were once thought to be poisonous because cows ate them.

Mmmm salt... the deadly explosive.

On the whole splenda/sweetner debate... I only 2-3 packets a day (in my coffee). I know it's not natural, but I really don't think it's going to kill me or give me cancer.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Splenda is gross anyway!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

Mmmm salt... the deadly explosive.

Haha!
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    The FDA is still exploring Stevia. Anyone have input on that? Has anyone tried it yet?
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The FDA is still exploring Stevia. Anyone have input on that? Has anyone tried it yet?

I just bought a big bag of "Stevia in the Raw" and I really like it. They say it's supposed to be 12x sweeter than sugar ... but it does have a bit of a bitter after-taste. But I prefer it over Equal and Splenda. It's supposed to be natural.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Reminds me of the argument about Coke-a-cola being horrible for you. The argument went that Coke makes a great toilet cleaner and if it can clean a toilet so well imagine how bad it is for you to drink! ..... Well yeah an orange or lemon can clean a toilet great too, as can vinegar. All of which are perfectly edible (and make good BBQ sauce.) Ability to clean a toilet != toxic.

No I don't think Coke is good for you, but scare tactics are BS. Coke isn't bad for you because you can clean a toilet with it. It's bad for you because it's a ton of HFCS (as do way too many products) and people tend to drink way too much of it.

Also, just because it's toxic to one life form (in this case insects) doesn't mean it's toxic to another (humans). DE is a great insect killer but there's food grade DE for humans. Enough with the scare tactics.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Haha when I learned this in chemistry it blew my mind that salt was made up of such volatile elements (at least separated from one another)

I don't think that using Splenda in moderation is truly bad for you, as all scientific research I've come across that state adverse effects involved ridiculously high dosages given to mice that doesn't mimic how humans typically consume it. I'll keep consuming it (again, in moderation) until more credible research changes my mind otherwise.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i almost always look at stuff like that as propaganda from the sugar companies

apples used to be illegal and classified as bad for you because it was harmful to the other fruit industries in the blooming years of america
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

I love it. It tastes better than sugar. All sugars at high intake levels become toxins so, everything in moderation.

Just like sugar is the crystallized solids of the sugar cane plant, stevia is the crystallized solids of the stevia leaf. Or Coca Cola would have us all believe. Who knows anymore with food politics.

All I know is I adore the stuff and use it about 2-3 times/week in small amounts. :)
  • jcott28
    jcott28 Posts: 16
    Options
    Remember a few years back when Eggs were evil too!

Splenda was a great help for my diet. They use it to make the sugar free Torani's (the syrups used at tons of coffee shops). Enough of anything might kill me. For now, I think a few packets of splenda a day is the lesser of two evils (if it's evil at all).
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options

I like this lol

As others have said seems like everything is bad for us now a days due to studies. :wink:

Everything in moderation I say.

As far as Stevia I found it bitter was not fond of it I just use the Low GI sugar. Logicane stuff here in Aus.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    OMG ALUMINUM IN DEODORANT CAUSES CANCERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Let's all make like the French and throw away our deodorant! Stinky pits and sweat stains for all!!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    OMG ALUMINUM IN DEODORANT CAUSES CANCERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Let's all make like the French and throw away our deodorant! Stinky pits and sweat stains for all!!

I like this platform. Can I vote for you in the coming election? You'll still smell better than most politicians I've seen running!
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    Hahaha! *Snorts*
  • TeresaJill
    TeresaJill Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've tried several brands of stevia products and only liked TruVia. Each packet has quite a bit in it and it's very sweet, so I can use one packet to sweeten my tea and my grapefruit.
  • Xanadar
    Xanadar Posts: 23
    Options
    In combo with sodium, chlorine forms a harmless "ionic bond" to yield table salt. Sucralose makers often highlight this worthless fact to defend its' safety. Apparently, they missed the second day of Chemistry 101 - the day they teach "covalent" bonds.

When used with carbon, the chlorine atom in sucralose forms a "covalent" bond. The end result is the historically deadly "organochlorine"

Zero calorie sweeteners are the enemy of any healthy diet. Use them and you will have an increased appetite, stomach and gastrointestinal problems, weakened immune function, irregular heart beat, agitation, shortness of breath, skin rashes, headaches, liver and kidney damage, birth defects, cancer, cancer and more cancer.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I tan.
    I'm not afraid of anything!
    Especially Splenda.
  • sangostar
    sangostar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If I have coffee or eat oatmeal that's about all I use of splenda.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    well that's too bad! i'm still gonna eat it though haha i don't think i would have been able to lose weight if it weren't for artificial sweeteners.

about stevia- i have tried it (Truvia and Ideal). I THOUGHT I liked them better than splenda or equal but then after about two weeks, I started getting this gross bitter/metallic taste in my mouth that wouldn't go away. i switched back to splenda and it went away after a few days. about two to three weeks ago, i started using Ideal and I thought it was just the Truvia that made me have the bad taste, but sure enough... it's back. Time to switch back again.