Is allowing 1 cheat day going to effect diet?

I came back from vacation, and i ate healthy, allowing myself dessert and drinks but in moderation. i came back to find i lost weight?! strange. today i decided that i would have a bit of ice cream, a pudding, veggie chips and a grilled cheese sandwich. i feel like I've deprived myself so long that i should give myself a day of it to prevent binging later on. i still have about 700 calories left, as i had measured my portions for today. but is this ok to do, even after having a week of having small pieces of dessert for the last few days of vacation? in a few days i know ill be having birthday cake for my birthday, but i know ill eat healthy for that day. I'm keeping my indulences under my maintenance but I'm still a bit paranoid.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you have 700 calories left, how exactly is this a cheat day?
  • carswell413
    carswell413 Posts: 45 Member
    Every body is different, but cheat days are essential for my body to not get too used to my current diet (when cutting). Our bodies try their best to maintain homeostasis (status quo) so for me, cheat days allow me to continue to fool my body enough to not achieve homeostasis on my current macros. This has been very effective for me in the 2 months I've been doing it. As for losing weight on vacation, don't be surprised at all. You were probably much more active on vacation than your typical day back home (I know I am) so this allows you to eat a bunch of stuff you usually wouldn't and still lose weight!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    For what it is worth, I'm in maintenance, and I don't do full cheat days, but 3-4 cheat meals spread throughout the week.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    I feel like you don't understand the concept of a cheat day. If you're still under your calorie goal, it's not really considered a cheat day. In fact fitting a little treat every once in awhile, can actually be beneficial to a diet. In my opinion, by not depriving yourself, you'll be less likely binge later on. That being said, it's your birthday, enjoy it. I mean don't go crazy eating all the foods (I mean you could if you want). But you shouldn't feel guilty about indulging on your birthday.
  • captainmoose007
    captainmoose007 Posts: 1 Member
    i like to call those ''rewards'' instead of cheats.
    Basically, i allow myself a beer and pizza or any other carb induced meal if I complete my weekly workouts.
    I like to set myself weelky goals and identify a reward for that week.
    Works for me.

But then again, it is like you a said, it is all in moderation.
    You can still have a slice of cake on your b-day, make it a little smaller and enjoy every bite :)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 721 Member
    I don't understand the whole cheat thing. If I want to go out to dinner or eat a slice of pizza how is that cheating. Just because I chose not to eat "healthy" for a meal, a day or a weekend does that mean I am cheating? And who am I cheating? Lifestyle change means I am going to eat what I want in moderation sometimes and sometimes not! Cheating implies to me that i am doing something bad!!!
  • "Overfeeding can have profound effects on leptin concentrations in the body. However, not all macronutrients are created equal. Fat overfeeding does not elicit the same leptin response as carbohydrate does. In fact, fat has virtually no effect on leptin concentrations, and in some cases even reduces leptin levels.14,15,16

Carbohydrates, on the other hand, have a positive impact on leptin.15,17,18 In fact, high-glycemic carbs (e.g., sugar) may be the sole reason for increases in leptin after meals.19 It should be noted that leptin does not particularly increase immediately after a meal per se, but does so anywhere from 4-48 hours after carbohydrate refeeding.1,17,20 In the short term, leptin concentrations are not affected and should be taken into account during planned refeeds."

From http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/refeeds-for-fat-loss-the-science-behind-leptin.html
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I feel the same way as some of the others ... I just don't get calling something a "cheat" anything ... if I can, I make plans to enjoy an event or date with food. For those surprises, like a friend suddenly showing up from out of town, I eat what I like and just restrict calories later and/or add some extra cardio in. While I do like to be in "balance" so to speak each day, if I do overindulge one day, I will look at that week as a whole and discover that the overindulgence wasn't such a big thing. If you have calories left over, enjoy them. CICO ...
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I practice moderation, even in moderation ;) So yes sometimes feast days, or lots of drinking at a music festival, I haven't noticed it ever increasing my weight, I'm not sure the body can really gain a lot in one day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    If you have 700 calories left, how exactly is this a cheat day?

This.

I'm very confused.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    OP, you seem to be describing a normal logging day, not some cheat day.

Every Friday night, I have a fun, celebrate the weekend binge. I make pizza and stromboli and have beer and/or mixed drinks. I may have some chips, idk. I usually finish off with a big bowl of ice cream, no topping spared. It is fun and probably easily runs over the 2k mark. Despite doing this every Friday night for probably well over a year now, I have not gained any weight from it. The only thing that matters in the end is your overall pattern of behavior over the long run. If you go straight back to logging and keep with it the majority of the time, these blips really won't make a difference.
  • KyinOwn
    KyinOwn Posts: 5 Member
    dunno about others but it does effect me. if I cheat one day then the whole week effort is gone. I am POS sufferer
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    I don't label my meals. There is a calorie surplus, deficit or maintenance. The word cheat implies something bad and causes people to create these threads.

You were still in a deficit and lost weight and this is odd?
  • gretchenzg
    gretchenzg Posts: 8 Member
    If you cheat, you are only cheating yourself. After a few weeks of totally honest reporting of every bite you take, you will see a trend of when an indulgence makes a difference and when it does not. For example last weekend at my mother-in-law's I indulged in jelly beans for goodness sake. Walked nine miles each day but still, the results were not good. If you indulge, eat something that has some value. Hummus. Cheese. Bacon. The jelly beans wrecked it for me. Other cheat foods that at least contain some protein are never really that bad. In moderation. I did not moderate those damn jelly beans.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I get the feeling that you are of the belief that certain foods are what cause you to gain weight or not lose weight, etc...that's not the case...calories are what matter, not whether or not you had desert.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    I went to a buffet for my birthday. I found the menu and nutrician chart for the buffet on line. My concern was the sodium content, more than the calories. I was able to eat all I wanted except I skipped over the things with high sodium. I was at 146 when I weighed the day before. the day after I was 147. that was a week ago. when I weighed this morning I weighed 146 again. I still think it was salt that caused the pound difference. basically I lost a week of progress. But I'm not concerned and I won't be the next time I want to do it i won't worry either.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2016
    gretchenzg wrote: »
    If you cheat, you are only cheating yourself. After a few weeks of totally honest reporting of every bite you take, you will see a trend of when an indulgence makes a difference and when it does not. For example last weekend at my mother-in-law's I indulged in jelly beans for goodness sake. Walked nine miles each day but still, the results were not good. If you indulge, eat something that has some value. Hummus. Cheese. Bacon. The jelly beans wrecked it for me. Other cheat foods that at least contain some protein are never really that bad. In moderation. I did not moderate those damn jelly beans.

It sounds like it was the quantity that was the issue, not the food itself.

Failing to moderate with hummus, cheese, or bacon will be equally detrimental to meeting weight loss goals.

I personally find it a lot harder to eat moderate amounts of hummus than it is to moderate jelly beans. People are different. A food that you struggle to moderate may be one that is absolutely fine for others.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    i still have about 700 calories left, as i had measured my portions for today. but is this ok to do, even after having a week of having small pieces of dessert for the last few days of vacation.

Sigh. You've asked a million variations on this question, and the answer is the same as the answer always is:

The types of food you eat are totally unrelated to weight loss. Weight loss is about calories. You could eat all of your day's calories in nothing but ice cream and you'll lose exactly as much weight as if you ate anything else for the same calories.

Of course, nutrition is important too, but you'll be fine.

I'm almost 100 pounds down, and the past two weeks, I've eaten hamburgers, tacos, pizza, ice cream, sugary cereal, potato chips, and Girl Scout cookies (among other foods, of course). Still losing weight exactly as planned. It really, really, REALLY doesn't matter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    i don't believe in cheat days, I just eat what I want and make sure I meet calorie, micro, and macro targets…however, I don't understand how having 700 calories left over is anywhere close to a "cheat" day ….
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Last time I went on vacation - I ate what I wanted - and lost several pounds

1. I confused my body
    2. I walked more than usual - I normally spend too much of my day sitting at a computer