Can you freeze baked goods?

Options
I have had such a craving for a good brownie lately that I am climbing the walls! I don't want a store bought bad packaged brownie. If I make them myself they are good and I will know the exact nutritional information so I can fit one in my day if I really really want one. Anyway, do cookies, brownies, cakes, etc.. freeze well? I've never tried it. What would be the best way to pack it and how long would it keep? How would I defrost it? Thanks.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Baked goods are fine to freeze! Just wrap them in clear plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag!(:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I do this with muffins. I'll make a whole batch and struggle with not eating them all at once. Make sure they cool entirely then wrap tightly in plastic or a ziplock.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When I freeze things in a freezer bag they always get frost on them and get ruined, does wrapping in cling film and then putting inside a freezer bag stop that happening?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can freeze baked goods. You need to seal them as airtight as possible. Air will cause freezer burn. How long they keep well depends on what it is, the moisture content, how well it was packaged for freezing, but most should stay good for several months. Just check them often. If you see ice crystals starting to form, it's time to get them out.

I'd let them thaw at room temperature or in the fridge, unwrapped on a paper towel to absorb any moisture.
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love frozen brownies, fresh from the freezer! It does change the texture a bit, if they're in there for a few eeeks, but i like a fudgey brownie anyways. I like to cut them nice and small, so one batch of brownies lasts me a couple months! Quick breads also freeze very nicely, ie pumpkin bread and banana bread.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating gingerbread cake that I baked on Christmas day and froze shortly afterwards. It's fine.
    As others have said, keeping it airtight helps a lot. Also, if they end up drying out, you can use a damp paper towel on top of them when you re-heat an individual piece in the microwave. For a brownie try 30 seconds at first, I do it for a minute for these square-shaped pieces of fluffy cake.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Yes, by all means freeze them. As pinggolfer said cut in portion sizes, and wrap in plastic wrap and put in a freezer zip lock bag.

I still have a batch of pumpkin spice muffins in my freezer. I have 1 twice during the week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    http://thebigmansworld.com/2015/10/05/healthy-3-ingredient-flourless-brownies/
    Remember to put this in your recipe builder to count the calories.

Or you can try a mug brownie. I've done this in an "emergency". I never let myself run out of cocoa powder.
    http://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/microwave-mug-brownie/
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I find baked stuff freezes very well. If you want it to keep for longer than a couple of weeks, you could get yourself a vacuum wrapper machine. Put your baked good unwrapped in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes until it is solid, remove, put in individual freezer bags and suck the air out. If its not frozen first the vacuum sealer will turn it into a tiny ball of muck in the bag.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Looks like I am baking this weekend! I love this because I will have precise nutritional information. Now the challenge is fitting it in my day and not eating all of them!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I froze my kids' birthday cakes easily. I bought ziploc freezer containers.. no issue whatsoever. It's just dangerous to know that there's cake in the freezer (and a microwave oven to thaw it quickly. Sigh).
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yes, by all means freeze them. As pinggolfer said cut in portion sizes, and wrap in plastic wrap and put in a freezer zip lock bag.

I still have a batch of pumpkin spice muffins in my freezer. I have 1 twice during the week.

Me too!!! Only once in awhile though - mine are about 200 calories a pop, so I save them for special!!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin spice muffins sound awesome!
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yup. Although I have a vacuum sealer which helps with the items not getting freezer burned.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I saw this thing where you put the batter into an ice cube tray and then bake it from frozen. I bake cookie dough from frozen all the time, but it's rather more solid than brownie batter...might be worth a try.

When I NEED a brownie I will usually do a mug cake in the microwave. Here is the most successful one I found.

http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/3-ingredients-60-seconds-gooey-chocolate-mug-cake/
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    You can freeze dough too- I'll make a thing of chocolate chip cookies, portion out the dough onto a cookie sheet, pop them in the freezer. Once they're frozen, you can just dump them all in a bag. When you feel like a cookie or two, just take them out and bake!

I am also guilty of just eating the frozen dough, so good.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    You can freeze dough too- I'll make a thing of chocolate chip cookies, portion out the dough onto a cookie sheet, pop them in the freezer. Once they're frozen, you can just dump them all in a bag. When you feel like a cookie or two, just take them out and bake!

I am also guilty of just eating the frozen dough, so good.

Yep! You can also freeze cheese but the texture does get a little compromised. It's easier to freeze hard cheeses vs soft, like cream cheese or fresh mozzarella.

I freeze dough and baked goods all the time.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yes. Most bakery goods freeze very well if properly protected.

You can even freeze many types of frosting (Not whipped cream/meringue). Comes in handy when you're baking wedding cakes - you can do the whole cake and get the final smooth coat of frosting on it and freeze. Thaw it the day before and complete the decorating details.

Or, you can freeze part of a slice of frosted cake so you have a little to enjoy now, and a little to enjoy later :wink:
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Yup. Although I have a vacuum sealer which helps with the items not getting freezer burned.

When I have a home I'm so getting one of those and a deep freezer! I have grand plans!