Any rowers around? Knowledgeable of the C2?

Options
ilex70
ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
I started using the rowing machine at the gym as part of my cardio a few months ago. And apparently got it nearly all wrong. :p

With a background of spinning classes I assumed that it was somewhat the same beast. Not so much.

So I've watched some videos on form, working on legs/hips/arms/arms/hips/legs, lowered the damper setting though I don't know if I've found my sweet spot yet.

Still lost on the display. I've been using Just Row thinking how bad can you mess that up? I really don't know how to judge if I'm doing any better than when I started.

The display usually says something like 600 calories and hour, which I guess is okay (read on the C2 site that is based on 175 pound man IIRC?) Not a clue how that relates to speed or distance.

Ideally I would find someone local who has a clue, but the rowers don't get a ton of use. There are only 3 and I've only seen them all in use one time and most people just use them for a short time...less than 10 minutes.

Tips? A good primer? 'Cause I fully recognize that I don't really know what I'm doing.

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    There should be a way to change the setting so that you can see your "speed," i.e., which is typically written as the amount of time it would take you to row 500M. Men at my gym try to keep it under 2:00.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to remember which button changes the setting - I think it may just say "units."
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Go into games and select "Darts". Feel free to curse me when you are addicted.
  • cckrun
    cckrun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started using the C2 Model D in Jan (purchased my own) and love it. I've combined with running, cycling and strength training. It is a total body workout but the it works the butt the most (at least for me!). The majority of effort is in the legs and butt, arms a bit too. Proper form works the abs and back also.

The user manuals are available on the C2 website (www.concept2.com) and they detail proper form and muscles worked, etc. I have my drag factor set at 4 and it provides just enough resistance that I don't wear out. I started out small (500m and worked up to 4000m currently). I think if you hit 'display' it'll change the options on the screen - I mostly use "Just Row" and watch distance and calories. I'm joining some online challenges tho' so I'll probably venture into the other screens. There are a lot of options including a graphic of a pace boat you can 'race' against. Hope this helps.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You can change it to pace (per 500 meters) Watts (power output) or calories. If you press units it will switch between the three. I personally use different units for different things though I mostly use pace. The reason I use pace mostly is because i'm generally rowing a specific distance (ex. a 1K, 2K, 5K, 20K). For example if you know on average your 2K pace is 2:00 per 500 meters, if your trying to do slightly better you'd push between 1:55-1:59 to finish the row faster without burning out (ex rowing at a pace of 1:44 in the beginning and then not being able to maintain and ending at a pace of 2:20). As far as the damper setting its personal preference. A higher damper works more efficiently with slower harder pulls where a lower damper will need more speed to achieve the same distance/burn.

*Edit to add i'm no expert...just my experience
  • taraswarts721
    taraswarts721 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been using the C2 rower at my gym for 7 months. I try and row 30,000 meters a week. My goal had been to row 12000 meters in under an hour. I've only recently attained this so I need a new goal! But I do different workouts some times just looking at the spm's (splits per meter) and keeping them in the mid to low 20's. This is a much harder row for me and really works my core area. This is usually a 5000 meter row in 25 min. Interval training can also be combined with specific spm's in mind. It is as important to feel your pacing as to see it on the monitor. Sprint rowing is my least favorite but we do a lot of it at my CrossFit box! Hint I know I'm getting a good workout when my knees start to sweat! Good luck!
  • ilex70
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Go into games and select "Darts". Feel free to curse me when you are addicted.

:D
    cckrun wrote: »
    I started using the C2 Model D in Jan (purchased my own) and love it. I've combined with running, cycling and strength training. It is a total body workout but the it works the butt the most (at least for me!). The majority of effort is in the legs and butt, arms a bit too. Proper form works the abs and back also.

The user manuals are available on the C2 website (www.concept2.com) and they detail proper form and muscles worked, etc. I have my drag factor set at 4 and it provides just enough resistance that I don't wear out. I started out small (500m and worked up to 4000m currently). I think if you hit 'display' it'll change the options on the screen - I mostly use "Just Row" and watch distance and calories. I'm joining some online challenges tho' so I'll probably venture into the other screens. There are a lot of options including a graphic of a pace boat you can 'race' against. Hope this helps.

Thanks. One of the first changes I noticed was moving my belt over a notch in only a week, but I highly doubt my form is great. I have checked the C2 site some, but so far a lot of it still confuses me. Speed and distance, okay, that I understand. Watts, splits, strokes per minute, etc. is a lot fuzzier.
    You can change it to pace (per 500 meters) Watts (power output) or calories. If you press units it will switch between the three. I personally use different units for different things though I mostly use pace. The reason I use pace mostly is because i'm generally rowing a specific distance (ex. a 1K, 2K, 5K, 20K). For example if you know on average your 2K pace is 2:00 per 500 meters, if your trying to do slightly better you'd push between 1:55-1:59 to finish the row faster without burning out (ex rowing at a pace of 1:44 in the beginning and then not being able to maintain and ending at a pace of 2:20). As far as the damper setting its personal preference. A higher damper works more efficiently with slower harder pulls where a lower damper will need more speed to achieve the same distance/burn.

*Edit to add i'm no expert...just my experience

Will definitely check out changing the units. Calories seems pretty meaningless to me. With the lower damper setting my strokes per minute goes up, but I haven't been able to tell if my actual speed is increased any.
    I have been using the C2 rower at my gym for 7 months. I try and row 30,000 meters a week. My goal had been to row 12000 meters in under an hour. I've only recently attained this so I need a new goal! But I do different workouts some times just looking at the spm's (splits per meter) and keeping them in the mid to low 20's. This is a much harder row for me and really works my core area. This is usually a 5000 meter row in 25 min. Interval training can also be combined with specific spm's in mind. It is as important to feel your pacing as to see it on the monitor. Sprint rowing is my least favorite but we do a lot of it at my CrossFit box! Hint I know I'm getting a good workout when my knees start to sweat! Good luck!

Hmm...well sprints may be what I'm attempting, or just a fast row. I'm thinking if I can figure out how to set the distance (2K I guess) then I can better judge what I can sustain vs. just trying to be quick. I hear you on sweaty knees...have to wipe mine off after spinning. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Suggest you don't do the "just row" option if you want to track your progress - why not pick one of the pre-set distances like 2k or 5k?

The VO2 max estimate is interesting and challenging. Takes a while to get the pace right and the figure given is influenced by your rowing efficiency but the number given correlates quite well (for me anyway!)
    http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/vo2max-calculator

The calorie burn given also seems pretty accurate. You may need to enter your weight to add the correction factor but I'm close enough to 175lbs not to have to bother.

But really would suggest getting your technique nailed down before trying to sprint - that's when your technique will fall apart. Suggest using the pace per 500m reading to see the effect of changing your stroke rate versus driving harder at a slower rate.
  • ilex70
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Suggest you don't do the "just row" option if you want to track your progress - why not pick one of the pre-set distances like 2k or 5k?

The VO2 max estimate is interesting and challenging. Takes a while to get the pace right and the figure given is influenced by your rowing efficiency but the number given correlates quite well (for me anyway!)
    http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/vo2max-calculator

The calorie burn given also seems pretty accurate. You may need to enter your weight to add the correction factor but I'm close enough to 175lbs not to have to bother.

But really would suggest getting your technique nailed down before trying to sprint - that's when your technique will fall apart. Suggest using the pace per 500m reading to see the effect of changing your stroke rate versus driving harder at a slower rate.

Thanks. Will try. :)