Want to start strength training- no gym

Options
2»

Replies

• mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As other people have suggested, I would start with body weight exercises, and then get some dumbbells or kettlebells to increase the weight when you are ready.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yes, start with body weight exercises. Look at your Craigslist or whatever classifieds for free weights people don't want
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Find someone selling Insanity on Craigslist for like $20. It's a great program. You will get toned and ripped if you do the whole program. After 2 weeks I saw a noticeable difference in my chest and arms!
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would say HIIT is a good option because it offers quick results and you don't need a lot of equipment.
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Tyler2020Mike Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Pick up heavy stuff and put them down. Rinse. Repeat. All you need to do is to start off with a low enough weight and pick up progressively heavier things.

That was going to be my advice as well. Do it like the good ole' days. The bright side is if you're lifting food or Home Depot-like products, you can use them later. You can't eat dumbells. :D
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for:

You Are Your Own Gym
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerd Fitness
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Yes to the above poster-up a few

Push ups and burpees. Start there.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Gym by Marie Osmond and it has changed my body! It is a resistance band tool and can be done on different levels as you get stronger. You can start sitting down or standing. It is WONDERFUL and I've gotten amazing results in very little time, Good Luck!
  • bluespidermonkey
    bluespidermonkey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Loads of body weight exercises here, it's all free and the website is constantly being updated with new stuff :)http://darebee.com/