Feel the guilt?

Options
Does anyone else feel like they are going to gain weight even if they eat under their calories? I feel guilty every time I eat something that isn't a fruit, vegetable, or protein. I don't want to live a life of such food restrictions but I get paranoid about my weigh in every time a piece of wheat beat hits my mouth or I have a piece of dark chocolate.

Replies

• maplesyrup10
    maplesyrup10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread*
  • kaylee0218
    kaylee0218 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have bread and other stuff like for my main meals. Like if I eat a 6 inch at subway for lunch. I'm not a big fruit person but I eat less portions of food (lunch and dinner) and less sugary items. I try to eat a lot of Chicken and protein and just stay away from sugars.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I never feel guilty about giving my body the fuel it needs to function properly - and it does need dark chocolate to function!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    If there's truth in Calories In vs. Calories Out (and I'm pretty sure there is), then some of those calories in can be the foods you love.
  • healthierihope
    healthierihope Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty sometimes, yes, but it's more because I'll forget to eat and end up having say, 400 calories the entire day for days and then suddenly have 1000+ because I'm hungry again. I lose my appetite a lot, and I'm not sure why but this keeps happening. I feel guilty on the day I finally end up eating.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Not now, but I've had food guilt issues in the past. Mine don't quite match up with what you're describing, but I hope you'll accept my sympathies anyway. It can be hard to recognize and move past them, so I'm glad that you're reaching out!

I urge you to try and recognize and interrupt these thoughts when they occur. You don't have to beat yourself up or anything, but when you have these thoughts acknowledge them for what they are and try to put them aside. It won't happen overnight, but slowly you can affect the way you think about things.

It might also help to do some reading into the IIFYM way of eating. You don't have to follow it, but seeing some of the success people have had while eating things outside of your current restrictions might help.

If you cannot get out of this mindset or it starts to get worse, you might look into cognitive behavioral therapy. I know that seems extreme for a dieting thing, but food guilt and restrictions can get bad and professional help can help.
  • maplesyrup10
    Options
    I never feel guilty about giving my body the fuel it needs to function properly - and it does need dark chocolate to function!

Ain't it the truth! Dark chocolate for life!
  • maplesyrup10
    Options
    I don't think this is extreme enough to be a type of eating disorder, but I am very thankful for everyone's input. I think I needed to hear from others that it's ok and I'm normal, and I have now. Thank you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My food scale takes away most of my guilt. If I weigh and it fits and I'm generally eating a nutrient dense diet...meh
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    We all have to learn to trust the process. No way are you ever going to gain weight even if you ate at maintenance every day. The thing is you do the deficit for so long you forget that it is not normal eating - it is corrective action eating to fix a health problem - it's like taking medicine. When someone is sick they take medicine until they are well, not forever. So think of the calorie deficit like medicine. Some days you don't take the medicine. When you reach your goal some days you will eat over your needs, so you still take your medicine on other days and it all balances out for life.

Don't let food be your enemy. It's not supposed to be that way.