Sweets turn to constant cravings

Options
ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
So I noticed that once I eat sweets (like icecream) I tend to crave them a lot throughout the week. Like eat ice cream Monday, and Tuesday I eat ice cream again, and Wednesday I eat ice cream again, and Thursday I try to avoid ice cream just so I can try to fill my calories with better quality foods, but then crave it again that night. How can I get out of this cycle? Like this craving cycle?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it that much work it into your calories. If all your nutritional needs are met there is no harm in a small bowl in the evening each night or a couple of night a week.

Cheers, h.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, at least in spells. I limit it to about once a week (but then I also get a bigger portion!). I still crave it badly the next day after eating it, but I'm usually over that by the second day.

I have to limit mine for blood sugar reasons, so it would be best if I were satisfied with a little portion a day or so. I do that in spells, too, but at some point I gravitate toward wanting it too often and have to change my strategy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Maybe try not eating them and see if it makes a difference or try different options if the ones you are eating are too tough to control. Some find that's counterproductive, as they want to binge. What I find is that if I eat sweets throughout the day or snack with them it's harder to control, but if I limit my sweets to something post dinner I can use that as a reason not to eat more earlier (since I'm having that later) and don't feel compelled to eat too much.

I also find that separate from sweets I need to get out of the habit of snacking outside of mealtime and once I do I don't think about it. Maybe controlling timing is the issue.

On the other hand, when I'm consistently working out (I do hard workouts) I have calories post dinner routinely so will have 200 calories of ice cream or cheese or some other extra most nights, and see nothing wrong with that. Others might save calories for wine or beer.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You could try a spell of stepping away from those foods that you feel lead to you eating more than you would like. Many people claim to do well with having a complete break from foods triggering foods and claim that their desire wanes fairly quickly.

As long as you don't feel that total abstinence will lead to you over eating later on due to feeling deprived, then this is another option to consider.

• ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say take a break. I love apples and peanut butter, but I noticed that I was eating it everyday for 5 days straight, and did a "self imposed ban" to force myself to eat other things for lunch/as a snack. Try giving up ice cream for a day or 2 (if you can) and see how it goes. Good luck!
  • Ericaj573
    Ericaj573 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me I sometimes try a healthy substitute. Could you consider a bowl of non fat Greek yoghurt, chopped berries and bananas and a drizzle of honey? Not the same as I cream I know but sometimes it does the trick! Or I know of people who pop yoghurt into the freezer to let it harden a little to bring it closer to the consistency of ice cream, and of course there's always a good range of frozen yoghurt out there
    I know what you mean about the sugar cravings though, I always get it about an hour or so before bed. I've taken to sucking a boiled sweet; not the best option I know but it lasts a long time without adding too many calories. Although perhaps the sugar slump is a sign that I'm tired and should just go to bed earlier......
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Tyler2020Mike Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    alexxazt wrote: »
    So I noticed that once I eat sweets (like icecream) I tend to crave them a lot throughout the week. Like eat ice cream Monday, and Tuesday I eat ice cream again, and Wednesday I eat ice cream again, and Thursday I try to avoid ice cream just so I can try to fill my calories with better quality foods, but then crave it again that night. How can I get out of this cycle? Like this craving cycle?

That's because sugar is an addiction. I try to avoid it all as much as possible from time to time. I just wish it was healthy for us. :D
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Tyler2020Mike Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ybee1991 wrote: »
    I agree with the people who say take a break. I love apples and peanut butter, but I noticed that I was eating it everyday for 5 days straight, and did a "self imposed ban" to force myself to eat other things for lunch/as a snack. Try giving up ice cream for a day or 2 (if you can) and see how it goes. Good luck!

Mmm...now I want to try out some apples and peanut butter. As someone said on another thread, it's better to just not buy it, so you don't eat it -- you can't eat what you don't have.
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yes sugar is very addicting. I've gained 25 pounds in 6 months because of it. I'm trying really hard to stop it. I started munching on baby Gerber puffs at night (thats when i eat lots of ice cream and cookies) 60 puffs for 25 calories. They're good and if I overeat those, well one container is 150 calories. I've been eating 500 to 1000 just at night on sweets.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Make things like ice cream an event. Don't buy it for the house, go to an ice cream shop and just get one portion to eat there or at a nice park nearby.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm currently struggling with this as well. I am keeping it within my calorie budget, but at the expense of macro/micro nutrient balances.

But yes I do agree, constant cravings after indulging.

Sometimes a protein shake helps me, but I'm still fitting the added sugars in.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Make things like ice cream an event. Don't buy it for the house, go to an ice cream shop and just get one portion to eat there or at a nice park nearby.

Agreed.

We have a family outing to Dairy Queen each weekend. That's how I manage ice cream.