exercise keeping me up!

Options
So they say exercise should improve your sleeping habits. I've never been the best sleeper in the world, but for the most part, on good night's, I may only wake up once. On days that I go to the gym and exercise, my sleep for that night is horrible. I'm waking up every hour, tossing and turning and just feel totally defeated. I get a good work out in, but I'm not laying here in pain. And I go to the gym around 4:30 PM and stay til around 6:30, and don't go to bed until 11pm, so I'd think my body would have time to "calm down" from the work out..Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Go in the morning?

Sorry not much other advice - with so much time you already have between gym I agree it sounds like it would be enough. Maybe have some sleepytime tea or something before bed. Have a calming bedtime ritual.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Try reading a boring book in bed. And I do mean try, not just read the words.
  • lilbabe09
    lilbabe09 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For the first few weeks on MFP I was getting the worst sleep, tossing and turning all night because I was so hungry. Could you possibly be not eating enough excercise calories back?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - don't work out in the evening. Morning is best!
  • nic041mccoy
    nic041mccoy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    lilbabe09 wrote: »
    For the first few weeks on MFP I was getting the worst sleep, tossing and turning all night because I was so hungry. Could you possibly be not eating enough excercise calories back?
    that could be a strong possibility! I'll make sure I'm doing that from now on!

• Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do you take any kind of pre-work supplement?

I do and if I change my schedule and go at 4:30 PM vs 4 AM I can't sleep either.
  • nic041mccoy
    nic041mccoy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Mystical64 wrote: »
    Do you take any kind of pre-work supplement?

I do and if I change my schedule and go at 4:30 PM vs 4 AM I can't sleep either.

I actually don't take a pre work out supplement.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You do not need pre work out supplement.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    IDK...after a good session in the weight room I'm usually wired for a couple of hours...then I crash like no other.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking of posting this same problem! I've been having terrible insomnia since getting back to working out. I run in the morning or early afternoon and have cut back to one cup of coffee bc I feel really energized.