How To Keep Positive

Options
How do you keep positive about weight loss when it gets hard!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What's the alternative? Give up and just stay fat?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    What's the alternative? Give up and just stay fat?

Failure is always an option.

Either way, for me it helped most when I could keep my "feels" out of it. Good days and bad days happen, make a note of what worked and resolve to do better. Eating according to my "feels" was part of what got me fat, taking a more planned and structured approach helped me do better.

• Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much completely changed my mindset from how i used to "diet". I dont think of it as negative or positive but kinda more like this is just how life is. Don't let food or the scale control your mood(I know its hard), just try to have as many good days as possible (there will always be bad days). I've found that letting go of the time constraints and "when when when is it going to be over" thinking has helped me alot. I guess this could be considered positive thinking, but I'm also not thinking "yay me you can do this", its more neutral thoughts like "OK the scale isn't doing exactly what I wanted but hey I like the way I'm eating and I'm logging so the weight will come off in due time".
    In my past dieting experience any type of extremes are not sustainable, including needing tons of positive motivation. You just have to change habits and have it be the new norm for you. That leads to slow and permanent change.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

This is where I'm at today, yesterday, the day before yesterday... for about two or three weeks now. The scale's not budging. It actually feels as if my back's getting fatter! So I motivate myself by slipping into a sexy number that's two sizes smaller than what I could squeeze into three months ago. And then I go about my day. I echo what @Tricia7188 said: ''so the weight will come off in due time''.
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Tyler2020Mike Posts: 53 Member
    Options

My health. If I don't get it off and keep it off, I'll be in the grave sooner than I expect, but before I do, it's a long road of agonizing pain. That alone keeps me focused to burn, burn, burn the fat off my body. It's dismal and dark, I know, but it's realistic.
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

This is where I'm at today, yesterday, the day before yesterday... for about two or three weeks now. The scale's not budging. It actually feels as if my back's getting fatter! So I motivate myself by slipping into a sexy number that's two sizes smaller than what I could squeeze into three months ago. And then I go about my day. I echo what @Tricia7188 said: ''so the weight will come off in due time''.

It's called, "The battle of the bulge for a reason." It's an on-going battle to burn it off and keep it off. I'm confident you can succeed.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's your choice. Do your best to lose what you can, regardless of how slowly it goes. Or. Give up because it seems like an insurmountable task and be the same weight, if not more, a year from now. That time is going to slip by us whether we're trying or not. What will feel better to you? Being lighter/healthier, or in the same place you are now?

I can tell you that for me I feel TONS better. April 19th will be my one-year anniversary of getting my act together. As of today I am 79 pounds lighter than I was when I started. At 41 years of age, the only regret I have is not doing this much, much earlier in my life. I keep thinking how much better life would have been to have more energy and joy and had less pain and medication to take daily.
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Options
    wrenak wrote: »
    It's your choice. Do your best to lose what you can, regardless of how slowly it goes. Or. Give up because it seems like an insurmountable task and be the same weight, if not more, a year from now. That time is going to slip by us whether we're trying or not. What will feel better to you? Being lighter/healthier, or in the same place you are now?

I can tell you that for me I feel TONS better. April 19th will be my one-year anniversary of getting my act together. As of today I am 79 pounds lighter than I was when I started. At 41 years of age, the only regret I have is not doing this much, much earlier in my life. I keep thinking how much better life would have been to have more energy and joy and had less pain and medication to take daily.

Congratulations, Wrenak. It's great to see people moving forward. I agree, I wish I would have started earlier, but back in those days I had little information to help me lose the weight -- other than the shoveling lettuce, starving, and walking around the block.
  • anna3669
    anna3669 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain it all in a day, you're not going to lose it all in a day..stay positive and focused and you'll see the results you want and deserve! :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Not really a whole lot I can do. I either have a goal and can and will stick to it or not. Not much choice except to do it or not to do it.

You have to get your own head out of the dark place, and you have to get your head in the game. This is not a taught behavior, it is a learned one.

Others can inspire you, and cheer you on, but you ultimately have to decide.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

It's called, "The battle of the bulge for a reason." It's an on-going battle to burn it off and keep it off. I'm confident you can succeed.

And so I weighed myself today. And I'm down! Yay! I was bloated and constipated like crazy because of a medical condition that I have. But things are back to normal today and woman, oh woman, do I feel better ;)
  • tripple7
    tripple7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you have Facebook go on your account and think of someone (maybe a friend or family member) whom has a figure you adore and would like to have. Have a look through their pictures and just think to yourself that "if you keep up with the diet, one diet you'll look like that"

Also go on YouTube and type in "fat people" you'll see a lot of videos or documentaries on how things can be difficult for fat people and the healthy issues that come with being fat. Whilst watching the videos remind yourself that if you quit the diet, one day you could end up obese and there could be a documentary about you too.