Best time to run

Options
localgrr
localgrr Posts: 99 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Lots of conflicting stuff online so thought I'd ask here, you're always so helpful :)

I'm new to running - just training for my first 5k using 5k runner. I'm a late eater, if I eat breakfast at all it's not until 11am-12pm.

Do you think I should run after coffee and before "brunch" or after I digested my brunch. I've tried both and going before food is certainly more tiring - but not sure what's better training.

Thanks!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well I think you answered your own question by stating before food is tiring and therefor assume you are not at your best performance.

There is no set time for anyone one here on MFP to advice you what is better for you. This totally a personal preference.
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's always good advice, I guess I don't trust myself as I'm new to all this.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Lots of conflicting stuff online so thought I'd ask here, you're always so helpful :)

I'm new to running - just training for my first 5k using 5k runner. I'm a late eater, if I eat breakfast at all it's not until 11am-12pm.

Do you think I should run after coffee and before "brunch" or after I digested my brunch. I've tried both and going before food is certainly more tiring - but not sure what's better training.

Thanks!

Whatever works best for you is the best time to run.

Personally, I cannot eat anything of note within an hour or so of me going for a run, and I have to limit water ~30 mins prior, otherwise, I get wicked cramps.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The best time to run is when you want to and what works best for you
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, any time it feels best to you is the best time to run. Generally speaking I think it's probably not the best idea to run first thing without eating anything because your blood sugar will be really low but I'm sure that might be fine for some people. Personally I never run in the AM without at least having a snack first, even if it's just a slice of toast or half a banana. I have an iron stomach and can wolf down a full meal practically while I'm running but most people find they need at least a half hour after eating before they can exercise.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the best time is when you have time.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you, but for ME, running in the morning on empty just doesn't work - I run out of gas too fast. I also don't like to run too soon after I eat, and I don't like to run in the evenings because I've got too much else going on.

So for ME, the best time to run is mid-morning, at least an hour or so after a light breakfast. This is challenging for someone who works, but I'm a member of a gym near my office, so that's what I do for my "lunch break" a few times a week. Then I grab lunch when I get back.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, any time it feels best to you is the best time to run. Generally speaking I think it's probably not the best idea to run first thing without eating anything because your blood sugar will be really low but I'm sure that might be fine for some people. Personally I never run in the AM without at least having a snack first, even if it's just a slice of toast or half a banana. I have an iron stomach and can wolf down a full meal practically while I'm running but most people find they need at least a half hour after eating before they can exercise.

A lot of people run just fine fasted. I used to run late morning after nothing but a cup of coffee and was just fine. My body still had my dinner from the night before to draw from and my fat and glycogen stores. If I eat almost anything 2 hours prior it will mess with me, so I always have to space it out, and certain foods are worse than others. All that to say it's very personal. Some folks need to have eaten beforehand, some folks won't want food in their stomach when they are trying to run.

The best time to run is when you want to and will continue to do so consistently to meet your goals.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's up to you and how you feel. Personally I can run at any time of the day. People don't understand how I can go out for a 10 mile run at 11PM. But put a little more than a yogurt into me and my run turns horrible.
    As far as trusting yourself, unless you're training to win races, which it sounds like your not, just go with whatever feels good. This is for all aspects of running. Most of us here on MFP are running for weight loss and/or fitness. If you start obsessing over the details, chances are you won't stick to it. Just get out there and enjoy the run!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For me it's about the length of the session. Anything up to 10 miles in comfortable either AM or late PM out to about a 2100 start.

For a longer run I prefer to eat, so they tend to be mid morning after a light breakfast; porridge, banana, coffee, and an apple or orange. Give that an hour to settle then head out.