Raw carrots

Options
I'm eating raw carrots and drinking water to keep full during the day so I don't over eat at meal times ! Is this bad idea and carrots harmful for waterloss?

Replies

• ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It is possible to get too much beta carotenes, which isn't good for you. It can cause you to get an orange-ish tint to your skin, the fiber can cause changes in your bowels until it readjusts. I guess it depends on how much carrot you eat and how long you have been doing it for. If you notice yellowing of the palms of your hands, soles of your feet, I would back off until it goes away. The water can be good to, but again too much can be bad.
  • kaykaur13
    kaykaur13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bag 500mg day
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    All that can happen is that you turn orange.
    The creases of your hands will turn orange first.

Tips: I eat almonds in the mornings along with skim milk in my coffee.
    A little bit of protein goes a long, long, long way in keeping my tummy happy.
    Almonds provide good fat that the brain needs to function.
    Don't deprive it.
    Vary your diet. Buy green apples, eat blueberries, eat edame as a snack.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Why are you just eating carrots!! OMG.. I couldn't do it.
    Variety is key. Figure out your daily allowance for calories and what you can eat. I always try and plan my next few days.

Vary your fruits and veggies. Add in yogurts.. mix it up so you don't get bored.

You are also trying to ensure your day is nutritionally balanced.
  • kaykaur13
    Options
    I'm eating ok just eating carrots as snacks
  • majigurl
    Options
    But why only Carrots as snacks? If you love them and crave them and only want them, lovely... . But you can choose other awesome snacks :)
  • kaykaur13
    Options
    I think they are low calories ? I eat lettuces cucumber watermelon low calories !
  • majigurl
    Options
    Carrots are actually not that low in calories ... But that's ok! you can STILL eat them if you log it and if it fits into your day for calories.

You need to log EVERYTHING.

You need to figure out how many calories you should be eating every day and you need to stick to it.

Just changing your diet to foods you think are low in calories wont work. You need to ensure you are eating the right amount of calories to create a deficit.

Use the tools on MFP. If you have questions on if you are using them right etc, the peeps in the forums are always willing to help.
  • kaykaur13
    Options
    What veg is low calories thAn carrots ?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A 1-pound bag of baby carrots is about 185 calories a day. I assume since you're here that you're already tracking your calories? If you like them and they fit in your day and you're getting enough nutrition from the rest of your diet, then aside from beta carotene issues I don't see why you need to quit. Personally, I like to eat lots of different veggies, but it's up to you :flowerforyou:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a variety girl myself but I know people who follow a regimented diet. For them, it is ... peaceful. If you love your carrots, keep eating them. They have far fewer calories, say, than a Costco muffin.

Even if you turn orange it's quite reversable. Just stop eating carrots.

If you want add a little more variety, pick a dark green vegetable, like...broccoli. Other snackable vegetables include celery and cucumber. I like edamame seed pods that I buy frozen and let them defrost in my lunch bag. They are a near perfect combination of macros (protein/fat/carb) so they satisfy for a long time.

"Compounds present in dark green leafy vegetables can inhibit the growth of certain types of cancer. Dark green leafy vegetables are an excellent source of fiber, folate, and carotenoids. These vegetables also contain vitamins C and K and the minerals iron and calcium" - google
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kaykaur13 wrote: »

You can find a lot of options online:

tumblr_lm59mxj4121qd45ayo1_500.jpg
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

Carrots are a starchy veg. 100g contains 41 calories and 10g of carbs, 5 of those coming from sugar.

By comparison, celery has 16 calories per 100g, 3g of carbs and only 2 of them coming from sugar.

Cucumbers are another good veggie to snack on, again on 16 calories per 100g, under 4 carbs and less than 2 of them coming from sugar.

Plus, if you overeat carrots, you WILL turn orange.

• kaykaur13
    Options
    ThAnk u everybody
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Carrots are a starchy veg. 100g contains 41 calories and 10g of carbs, 5 of those coming from sugar.

By comparison, celery has 16 calories per 100g, 3g of carbs and only 2 of them coming from sugar.

Cucumbers are another good veggie to snack on, again on 16 calories per 100g, under 4 carbs and less than 2 of them coming from sugar.

Plus, if you overeat carrots, you WILL turn orange.

Is the whopping 7 extra grams of carbs per 100g, 3 of which are from sugar, really that big a deal for someone who doesn't have a medical condition which necessitates limiting sugar intake?