Gym and Gains Advice

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    chrismwpcs wrote: »
    With two major compound exercises like squats and deadlifts I wouldn't manage both with how I train. If you train with moderate intensity then sure you could do both.

I wouldn't speak in absolutes. Just because you can't do that, doesn't mean others cannot. I never had an issue with doing both and I train hard.

Some do but programs at the intermediate or advanced levels rarely have them together unless they are doing sometype of volume/intenstiy manipulation such as DUP. Once you start getting into very heavy weght loads relative to your bodyweight (think 3x on deadlifts and 2x on squats and greater weight) it puts a huge strain on your entire system including CNS and that causes your performance to be suboptimal if you are trying to do two big exercises together.

I hear you. I generally concentrate on hypertrophy programs, but I do recognize adjust for strength based.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with squats and deadlifts in the same session - I like to think I train at above moderate intensity.

I'm a member of a lifting club and when we train we always do squats and deadlifts (with other lifts). I've seen many people hit PBs on these two lifts in the same session.

To bring it back to the OP - she was looking for advice on a lifting program and, as someone relatively new (less than a few years of structured training) to weights, she's been recommended strong lifts, wendlers, all pro beginner, and PHUL. Of those I would disagree with the inclusion of Wendlers and PHUL since they are intended for intermediate lifters. Pro Beginner doesn't contain deadlifts and so there is no comment in that w/o about combining Squats and Deads but StrongLifts specifically mandates Squat and DL on the "B" day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you can do a leg training session daily, you are not working hard enough. It takes me about 4 days to recover from a session. I saw one routine from the above post that said squats and deadlifts the same session. Hmm, after a good run of deadlifts you shouldn't be able to do squats and visa versa. My deadlift day tomorrow will consist of about 7 to 8 sets of deadlifts. Warm up by set 2 and get to working by set 4 and drop set 3 or 4 sets to failure. Then tackle calves, and onto the torture machines for leg press, extensions and leg curls. Pain is just 12 hours away lol.

i do squats and deads back to back on my lower power day as part of a structured lifting program in PHUL….so not sure where you are getting your information from..

and 7-8 sets of deads sounds like overkill….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    With two major compound exercises like squats and deadlifts I wouldn't manage both with how I train. If you train with moderate intensity then sure you could do both.

i did barbell back squat at 240 @4x4 yesterday and then DL at 335 at 3x4 and then 1x3 ….is that enough intensity?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

i did barbell back squat at 240 @4x4 yesterday and then DL at 335 at 3x4 and then 1x3 ….is that enough intensity?

13863db27ebd0a48c0fb14a77fcc18a5.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options

trying man,I am trying....
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I wouldn't speak in absolutes. Just because you can't do that, doesn't mean others cannot. I never had an issue with doing both and I train hard.

Some do but programs at the intermediate or advanced levels rarely have them together unless they are doing sometype of volume/intenstiy manipulation such as DUP. Once you start getting into very heavy weght loads relative to your bodyweight (think 3x on deadlifts and 2x on squats and greater weight) it puts a huge strain on your entire system including CNS and that causes your performance to be suboptimal if you are trying to do two big exercises together.

I hear you. I generally concentrate on hypertrophy programs, but I do recognize adjust for strength based.

I can see it for hypertophy, but I imagine I would have a sore back!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

trying man,I am trying....

Try a barbell. ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'm interested in doing PHUL next, does it modulate intensity between the two lifts like a DUP? I've tried programs doing DL and squat in the same day and just had too many issues with DL not keeping up.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm interested in doing PHUL next, does it modulate intensity between the two lifts like a DUP? I've tried programs doing DL and squat in the same day and just had too many issues with DL not keeping up.

No, the program basically says you do three to five sets at up to 3-5 reps of each set..but it does not specify intensity, so they kind of leave it up to you. I go by feel ...but since I am cutting right now I just try to run at four sets of four reps each...
  • jennahudson01
    jennahudson01 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthy diet. Eat more than your maintenance level (TDEE). Gain lean muscle mass by weight training with heavy weights with low repetitions. If you're losing weight when strength training you maybe doing light weights with high reps? Weight lifting generally typically does not burn a lot of calories/kilojoules unless your doing HIIT with light weights or a circuit style routine. Also work your macro level out too and try to stick to that. I used to just look at the kilojoules but now also try to stay within my macro range I have set. Good luck I hope you sort it out!

Thank you this is really helpful ! I do heavy weights for a female I guess lol, I just get used to it quickly. It's hard for me to tire or feel a burn when I do low reps. But I will try to make it heavier and lower the reps and start going back to the gym (((: thanks !!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Eat a healthy diet. Eat more than your maintenance level (TDEE). Gain lean muscle mass by weight training with heavy weights with low repetitions. If you're losing weight when strength training you maybe doing light weights with high reps? Weight lifting generally typically does not burn a lot of calories/kilojoules unless your doing HIIT with light weights or a circuit style routine. Also work your macro level out too and try to stick to that. I used to just look at the kilojoules but now also try to stay within my macro range I have set. Good luck I hope you sort it out!

Thank you this is really helpful ! I do heavy weights for a female I guess lol, I just get used to it quickly. It's hard for me to tire or feel a burn when I do low reps. But I will try to make it heavier and lower the reps and start going back to the gym (((: thanks !!

you really need to follow a structured program ..if you are just getting back into it I would suggest something like strong lifts or all pro beginner...and don't just put something together with "low reps high weight" on your own ..
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Not specific enough on the calorie front though. What if I'm eating 1000 calories over my maintenance level per day of 'healthy food'. Yet as a woman I can only realistically gain a quarter of a pound of muscle per week plus about the same amount of fat, which takes 1750 calories, 3 heavy weight sessions and adequate protein per week to build.

What happens to those excess 5250 calories? Food for thought....

*Answer= it gets turned into body fat. Even if it's calories from 'healthy food'
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No, it really wasn't helpful. In fact, I'll go so far as to say it's one of the two least helpful posts in this thread. The rep/weight combination that you're lifting has nothing to do with whether you gain, lose, or maintain weight. It's classic BroScience. And talking in terms of kilojoules is - unless you really want to convert Calories to kJ every time you look at a label - not particularly great. It may be OK in Australia, but not so much here in the States.

Seriously - listen to what the others have been saying.
  • jennahudson01
    jennahudson01 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

No, it really wasn't helpful. In fact, I'll go so far as to say it's one of the two least helpful posts in this thread. The rep/weight combination that you're lifting has nothing to do with whether you gain, lose, or maintain weight. It's classic BroScience. And talking in terms of kilojoules is - unless you really want to convert Calories to kJ every time you look at a label - not particularly great. It may be OK in Australia, but not so much here in the States.

Lol okie (: but I think I am doing to many reps and sets overall anyways
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Sheiko has you benching 3 times a week- sometimes double up (i.e.- squat bench squat bench) for a full rotation of sets/reps before moving on to the next one.

I've had better luck on my body with that then *kitten* like CF wods or generic HIIT training.
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2016
    Options

again, get on a structured lifting program and stop trying to guess as to what you need to do ...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Look at the link on the first page and follow one of those programs. And if you want one that is focused more towards women, you have StrongCurves and NROL4W.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Sheiko has you benching 3 times a week- sometimes double up (i.e.- squat bench squat bench) for a full rotation of sets/reps before moving on to the next one.

I've had better luck on my body with that then *kitten* like CF wods or generic HIIT training.

Sheiko is known for brutality as most Russian programs are!
  • Calcium_Man
    Calcium_Man Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should, eat lots of meat, and lift some metal! :p