Advice

Options
Hello I need some advice I'm 5' 11" and I weigh in at 229 lbs since I started to lose weight I was at 289 lbs and since I started to clean up my diet I'm finally down to 229 but I need advice how to push through 229 I have pretty much plateued my end goal is 195 lbs so I'm almost there I wanna be 195 lbs of lean muscle. My diet consists of clean eating I eat yogurt, granola bars, chicken, fish, veggies, rice, and Turkey sandwhiches. Part of me feels like I can be doing more. Does anyone have a more strict diet that they would recomend. I train in the gym every day for about 1 hr- to an hr in a half and I'm 23 years old any advice would help.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? How many calories are you eating a day and how are you determining them?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer for you, but I do know what has worked for me in the past when I plateaued. I would change the food that eat. I found that I ate the same food everyday and once I changed some of the food it kick started my weight loss again. I am not sure if you eat red meat, but maybe throw a steak in there once in awhile. How many calories are you eating a day? At a different time of plateau I upped my calories and started losing again. I have not tried this myself, but I have heard that if you fast for a day it will kick start your weight loss, maybe someone else can confirm or debunk that one!!
  • chuckamaniac
    chuckamaniac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find when in order to have consistent weight loss I

1) Gradually reduce my macros
    2) Drink water right when I wake up and before every meal
    3) never skip meals
    4) add light cardio (brisk walk) on top of any exercise you're currently doing

Do these things, should get you over the hump

Good Luck
  • amandabdupont
    amandabdupont Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its always "easier" to loose weight at the beginning, as you feel youll hit a plateau at some point. One of the best ways to get out of it ( heres a few)
    1) good point about changing the foods you are eating, they might have been what you needed before now maybe add a crazy amount of vegetables to your food. Also depends how many calories you are eating atm, might be to much for what you weigh now. Macros change as your weight changes.
    2) change your workout routine. try different workouts and different techniques such as HIIT, fasted cardio, also just add cardio to your workout if you arent doing any now. But hard cardio, not a walk on the treadmil you gotta sweat :)
    3) maybe find a training Partner that will push you even harder than your doing alone. Its proven that when training alone most people will tend to back out of that last rep, or avoid adding heavier weights without someone there encouraging them.
    4) also its important that you are doing the proper amount of sets and reps during your workout, you can always try changing this up a big

All of these tips are things you should do a bit of search on before starting, also important if you have any medical conditions to see a Dr before!

Good luck :)
  • greggsyverson
    greggsyverson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How long has it been since you lost weight? How many calories are you eating a day and how are you determining them?

I eat about 2200 calories a day I count them through the app
  • greggsyverson
    Options
    I don't know the answer for you, but I do know what has worked for me in the past when I plateaued. I would change the food that eat. I found that I ate the same food everyday and once I changed some of the food it kick started my weight loss again. I am not sure if you eat red meat, but maybe throw a steak in there once in awhile. How many calories are you eating a day? At a different time of plateau I upped my calories and started losing again. I have not tried this myself, but I have heard that if you fast for a day it will kick start your weight loss, maybe someone else can confirm or debunk that one!!

I eat pretty much the same and it's about 2200 calories a day
  • greggsyverson
    Options
    Its always "easier" to loose weight at the beginning, as you feel youll hit a plateau at some point. One of the best ways to get out of it ( heres a few)
    1) good point about changing the foods you are eating, they might have been what you needed before now maybe add a crazy amount of vegetables to your food. Also depends how many calories you are eating atm, might be to much for what you weigh now. Macros change as your weight changes.
    2) change your workout routine. try different workouts and different techniques such as HIIT, fasted cardio, also just add cardio to your workout if you arent doing any now. But hard cardio, not a walk on the treadmil you gotta sweat :)
    3) maybe find a training Partner that will push you even harder than your doing alone. Its proven that when training alone most people will tend to back out of that last rep, or avoid adding heavier weights without someone there encouraging them.
    4) also its important that you are doing the proper amount of sets and reps during your workout, you can always try changing this up a big

All of these tips are things you should do a bit of search on before starting, also important if you have any medical conditions to see a Dr before!

Good luck :)

I will try switching things up. As for cardio I try and burn a minimum of 200-300 calories before I lift
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

How are you measuring those 2200 calories? With a food scale? Measuring cups? Eyeballing portions?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Too much bunk in this thread. Eating "clean", switching foods, drinking more water to lose weight? All myths. How long has it been since you've lost weight? If you're truly plateauing, you need to make sure that your logging is accurate. Do you eat back your exercise calories? If so, how many of them? You may be eating more than you think.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I eat pretty much the same and it's about 2200 calories a day

How are you measuring those 2200 calories? With a food scale? Measuring cups? Eyeballing portions?

This. You need to be consistently logging everything that goes in your mouth. Any solid and any semi-solid (butter, etc.) needs to be weighed on a food scale. When you were heavier you could still lose weight and be inaccurate, but now that your resting metabolism is less you have less room for error.

Eating clean and working out is a lot less important than being accurate with the food you eat and accurate with the calories you burn. Have you re-set your goal on MFP since losing weight? Made sure it's using your current weight to set a goal for you? How to calculate exercise calories? Get a food scale, weigh EVERYTHING. Log EVERYTHING.