In Need of help!!

Options
So I really seem to be stuck lol. I'm not losing weight for some reason and don't understand why. I really don't eat too bad. I mean every once in a while I have some bread other than that I eat veggies, chicken that's baked, and tons of fruit. I try to do some kinda work out each day whether it's 30 min on the treadmill or Ive started doing jumping jacks and I have an elliptical I've started to use a little too. How much exercise do you need to do to notice a weight loss?? What foods should I eat or not eat?? The struggle is real. I'm not even noticing losing inches right now O.o please any tips or I do will help!!!

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    you dont need to do any exercise to lose weight. are you weighing your foods? the types of foods you eat dont matter for losing weight, merely that you eat less than you burn. read the forums, you will learn.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight after 3 weeks, there is about a 99% chance that you are simply eating too much to lose. Losing weight comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn (i.e., having a caloric deficit.) Eating mostly veggies/chicken/fruit and exercising doesn't matter if you don't control the total number of calories you are ingesting.

If you haven't already, fill out your MFP profile to lose a pound a week. Get a digital kitchen scale and weigh all solids. Measure all liquids with a measuring cup. Log your food using good solid nutrition info such as that on a food label you have in hand or that which matches the USDA website nutrition info. When you exercise, log it in the exercise diary. You should fuel your fitness. To do that, eat your exercise calories. If the thought of that freaks you out, eat 50% of them for 4 weeks. At that point assess your progress. Losing too quickly? Eat more of the exercise calories. Losing too slowly? Eat fewer of the exercise calories. Losing just right? Eat the same.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    for weight loss it isn't really about what you eat, but how much. You need to be at a caloric deficit. You can gain weight on healthy food if you are eating more than you burn. Start rigorously tracking it so you know how much you are consuming. I think exercise for weight loss is like extra credit. Your diet influences weight loss more.
  • djarro05
    djarro05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good advice above. Definitely your intake is more than your deficit. Actually weighing your food will teach your eye what 4/6/8oz really looks like
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,024 Member
    Options
    Besaro is right. If you aren't weighing your foods you are most likely eating more than you think. Weigh all solids and use measuring cups for liquids so you will know how many calories you are consuming. Exercise is good, but not necessary to lose weight. Eat foods that fill you up. I try to get plenty of protien and don't worry too much about fats or carbs. Eat things that you like. If your diet is too restrictive you won't be able to stick to it.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think the above advice is exact...but also you said you are eating loads of fruits---fruits are high in sugar and too much can be counter productive. You might also want to explore when you are eating certain foods, for instance fruit - I always eat fruit on an empty stomach - because it digests better. Eating fruit after say, a big meal can cause gas and bloat.

Do some research on the food you are eating... and the qualities and quantities.

IF all else fails maybe its medical, and something you can review with your doctor.
  • amandabdupont
    amandabdupont Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To start off, get off the fruit, fruit has tons and tons of sugar ( yes natural but still sugar anyways) do some research about which fruits are good( apples for example) and which arent ( grapes apparently).
    To loose weight you have to create a deficit in calories either with food or exercise or both. Meaning you have to " burn" 3500 a week to loose 1 pound!
    Also doing 30 minutes of exercise probably isnt enough, if youve been doing this for awhile your body has adapted to it and it things this is a normal daily activity. And unfortuntely our body only really starts burning fat between 30 to 45 mins.. So kick it up a step! :)
    Makesure you are eating the proper amount of calories for your body daily with your new weight, because you body need a base amount just to function anything Under that, your body will just store eerything you eat to help keep the body functioning.
    Also, i dont know if you tried or started yet but weight lifting, by this i mean pick up free weights and using them. This is an extremely good way to help burn fat and loose weight, because even though (compared to cardio) you dont burn as many calories during the workout, its after that your body will continue to keep burning ( which is awesome) The more muscle mass you have the easier it will be to loose weight. NO YOU WILL NOT GET BULKY (just incase you were worried) womens body arent built that way.

Drink alot of water, that also helps.
    so to sum it up
    1) limit fruits
    2)try more cardio, or atleast up the intensity
    3) make sure you are eating the proper amount of calories for your body, because you body need a base amount just to function anything Under that, your body will just store
    4) start lifting some weights ( this will make you loose weight and get toned )

Hope this helps ! GOOD LUCK' its not easy but its Worth it
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Please ignore any scaremongering over fruit, do not ditch fruit if you like fruit. There is nothing wrong with the sugar in fruit, but too much of even the most nutritious food will hurt any attempt to lose weight. But eat as much fruit as you can fit into your calories if you want without worrying about the sugar in it, it does not hurt you, quite the opposite. And there is no bad fruit, that is just ridiculous.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Everyone is pretty much spot on.. you have to weigh and track your calories. Figure out what puts you in a deficit and you will lose weight, it's very simple. Not always easy to do, but very simple.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    To start off, get off the fruit, fruit has tons and tons of sugar ( yes natural but still sugar anyways) do some research about which fruits are good( apples for example) and which arent ( grapes apparently).
    To loose weight you have to create a deficit in calories either with food or exercise or both. Meaning you have to " burn" 3500 a week to loose 1 pound!
    Also doing 30 minutes of exercise probably isnt enough, if youve been doing this for awhile your body has adapted to it and it things this is a normal daily activity. And unfortuntely our body only really starts burning fat between 30 to 45 mins.. So kick it up a step! :)
    Makesure you are eating the proper amount of calories for your body daily with your new weight, because you body need a base amount just to function anything Under that, your body will just store eerything you eat to help keep the body functioning.
    Also, i dont know if you tried or started yet but weight lifting, by this i mean pick up free weights and using them. This is an extremely good way to help burn fat and loose weight, because even though (compared to cardio) you dont burn as many calories during the workout, its after that your body will continue to keep burning ( which is awesome) The more muscle mass you have the easier it will be to loose weight. NO YOU WILL NOT GET BULKY (just incase you were worried) womens body arent built that way.

Drink alot of water, that also helps.
    so to sum it up
    1) limit fruits
    2)try more cardio, or atleast up the intensity
    3) make sure you are eating the proper amount of calories for your body, because you body need a base amount just to function anything Under that, your body will just store
    4) start lifting some weights ( this will make you loose weight and get toned )

Hope this helps ! GOOD LUCK' its not easy but its Worth it

No. There's no reason to limit fruits unless you have a medical condition that can be complicated by sugar. And your body doesn't store fat by undereating. That's impossible.

OP, you haven't said if you're in a calorie deficit or not. That's how you lose weight. Are you logging everything with as close to 100% accuracy as possible (meaning choosing the right entries/not using generic meals from the database, weighing foods/measuring liquids, being mindful of the exercise burns you log)?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Fruit is great but the calories add up quickly... apples 80 calories, bananas 100 calories, I just had a 70 calories plum...

In the end it doesn't matter what you eat, what matters is how much you eat.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure your foods. Track everything you put into your mouth. EVERYTHING. You'll be amazed at how many calories you are actually consuming. Before you eat it, see how many calories is in it. Follow your calorie plan very strictly and add exercise. You will lose weight if you keep up with it.