Injury –how many rest days? (snapping hip syndrome)

Options
After taking 6+ weeks off from walking on the treadmill 6x a week I started back 4 days ago. I burned 400+ calories each time going uphill at 3-3.5mph. Today I got on and immediately my hip started popping. It didn’t hurt, but it was annoying. I stopped my workout and researched it and from what I’m reading it may be IT Band Syndrome/Hip Snapping Syndrome? I’ve never had/felt this before, I think I may have overdone it, too much too soon...
How many rest days should I take (I’m 24) before I can start doing some hip and Iliotibial band strengthening exercises? And how much time should i give before i can return to the treadmill? Gradually work my way up in intensity?

Replies

• vanillaclaw
    vanillaclaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's hard to tell you how long to rest as it depends on each person.
    You have see how your body feels and definitely don't jump in with high intensity exercises. I was off due to this for months.
    Try swimming or things kinder to your joints. Eg. Cross trainer instead of treadmill. Stop exercising if you have pain and rest, please don't work through the pain, trust me it's a bad idea.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had severe it band issues. I had hip popping and pain in my knee, pretty intense pain. If it is an it band issue then you should start hip strengthening exercises. I think you should see a pt, he was able to confirm it band issues immeadiately.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Might I ask what band issues are? I have been dealing with a popping hip for almost 3 years now after a work place injury. which became severely aggravated around 3 months ago by trying a wide stance squat, but for some reason isn't bothered in anyway by a narrower stance.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Might I ask what band issues are? I have been dealing with a popping hip for almost 3 years now after a work place injury. which became severely aggravated around 3 months ago by trying a wide stance squat, but for some reason isn't bothered in anyway by a narrower stance.

Iliotibial band. It run along the outside of your leg from hip to knee.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think you need to be listening to your body and consulting your physical therapist/Dr. and not folks on this site.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    I had severe it band issues. I had hip popping and pain in my knee, pretty intense pain. If it is an it band issue then you should start hip strengthening exercises. I think you should see a pt, he was able to confirm it band issues immeadiately.

This. My PT's answer was go back to dance class, so I take a barre class once a week. The flexibility in my legs is slowly improving and the pain has decreased tremendously. (I have arthritis and an autoimmune disease, so it will never go away completely for me.)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need a Sports Med doctor or maybe a Chiropractor, but if it's a problem you definitely should take some time off and get help.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yeah, talk to the doc. My problem was as simple as the IT band rubbing against the bursa sac causing inflammation and my doc cleared me to run. Just warned me that my hips would be a bit achy.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My right hip thunks sometimes when I bend deeply through the knee, even when it is not carrying weight at all. Not the normal "click" of hips warming up, and not the regular "reset" feeling you get when moving your hip around the bone. It is my understanding that if it is not painful you do not need to rest completely. It happens less and less for me if i avoid the movements that cause the thunking for awhile, but running and carefully stretching, yoga, etc. do not cause it to get worse.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    I think you should see a pt, he was able to confirm it band issues immeadiately.

This.

Early on in my diet/exercise project I developed IT band issues plus pain, and they really didn't resolve until I saw a PT for a couple of courses of specialized rehab exercises. It took a while, but that was a year ago, and I haven't had any problems since (knock wood).