I just realized I've been doing squats wrong my whole life...

Options
*facepalm*

I was doing Body Pump on Tuesday and my legs started to ache. Totally normal as we were doing squats. I started to think about how my quads are the only thing that gets sore when I do squats and how that seems weird because squats are supposed to really shape your back end. Then for my next set I really paid attention to my body instead of what the instructor was doing and I realized something. When I got into the lower portion of my squat, I unconsciously rocked my weight forward onto the balls of my feet instead of into my heels. Of course this is all so subtle that a trainer wouldn't notice and wouldn't correct me. I have good form otherwise.

I started correcting my weight distribution and felt the burn almost immediately. Unfortunately the class was almost over so I didn't get much of a burn in my butt (hehe) but at least I'm corrected now. I kind of want to slap myself for being so stupid. Ugh.

Replies

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and slap yourself....on the butt. And tell yourself good job. We all do things wrong at first.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    *facepalm*

I was doing Body Pump on Tuesday and my legs started to ache. Totally normal as we were doing squats. I started to think about how my quads are the only thing that gets sore when I do squats and how that seems weird because squats are supposed to really shape your back end. Then for my next set I really paid attention to my body instead of what the instructor was doing and I realized something. When I got into the lower portion of my squat, I unconsciously rocked my weight forward onto the balls of my feet instead of into my heels. Of course this is all so subtle that a trainer wouldn't notice and wouldn't correct me. I have good form otherwise.

I started correcting my weight distribution and felt the burn almost immediately. Unfortunately the class was almost over so I didn't get much of a burn in my butt (hehe) but at least I'm corrected now. I kind of want to slap myself for being so stupid. Ugh.

Unfortunately a good trainer should notice, so I'd question the trainer running the class. You don't really want to be pushing off your heals or the balls of your feet, you really want the weight balanced. If you push straight from your heals, the balls of your feet could come off the floor which you don't want either. Maybe after your Body Pump class do a little extra Hamstring and Glute work to help keep your weight from coming forward.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The deeper your squat, the more you'll feel it in your butt too. Keep up the good work.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    You aren't stupid most people do squats wrong. A good trainer will help correct you, but a body pump trainer probably wont, not because they aren't necessarily good but because they are training a whole class and not watching each person.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and slap yourself....on the butt. And tell yourself good job. We all do things wrong at first.

Haha! This took an unexpected turn and I love it!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I just started to squat & what I read on the strong lifts site is the deeper the better... :)

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's awesome you've self corrected it! This means you're doing better to have the mind-muscle connection. You'll get a better workout and improve form if you think throughout any movement whether you are feeling it and if so, whether you are feeling it in the right place.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    *facepalm*

Definitely very important to push with your heels and focus on the "squeeze" at the top! Makes all the difference. We all make this mistake when starting out! Form is important.